Leica M 75 Summilux or 50 noctilux f/1.0

FrankA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/1/2021 at 1:53 AM, fabior said:

i have the 58mm f1 version for more than 20 years and i don't think i will ever sell it. In recent years I have understood that the possibility of making images that remain in the heart to see them depends on many factors, the noctilux f1 is not enough. But when the light, the composition, the subject, the environment, etc  are all "aligned" the result with the noctilux f1 is magical, unique. I also have the summilux 80mm R that I use with the SL2 but I have always used it less and therefore I have had less satisfaction and therefore I cannot praise it as the noctilux; but this perhaps depends more on me than on the lens! I add that I also have the noctilux 0.95 and the reissue of the 1.2. My preference ranking at the moment sees 1.2 in first place .... which I almost always use .... I like it very much

I have owned my original E58 f1 Noctilux since new right out of high school, plus I inherited my Fathers 1968 f1.2 and I own a v3 f1 Noctilux, then second to last the .95, and last I managed to acquire two copies of the new 1.2 Noctilux. My evaluation is quite different than yours as I did not enjoy the remake 1.2 as wide open it is not as interesting as our original '68 1.2 but from f2 onwards it far outperforms the original. Yet when I compared all of these to my original E58 I chose this lens every time for its magic at every aperture but especially its very unique rendering wide open and unlike any of the others. I sold one copy of the new 1.2 and will keep the other just because, but the irony is the copy I sold is now on its 5th owner as no one enjoyed it enough to keep it. it will be interesting to get more feedback on this new lens when many more copies are in photographers hands. I do however love the size as its obviously the same as my original and much nicer to hold than any of the others even the E58, but I adore my E58 just as you seem to. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 10:52 PM, insideline said:

I have owned my original E58 f1 Noctilux since new right out of high school, plus I inherited my Fathers 1968 f1.2 and I own a v3 f1 Noctilux, then second to last the .95, and last I managed to acquire two copies of the new 1.2 Noctilux. My evaluation is quite different than yours as I did not enjoy the remake 1.2 as wide open it is not as interesting as our original '68 1.2 but from f2 onwards it far outperforms the original. Yet when I compared all of these to my original E58 I chose this lens every time for its magic at every aperture but especially its very unique rendering wide open and unlike any of the others. I sold one copy of the new 1.2 and will keep the other just because, but the irony is the copy I sold is now on its 5th owner as no one enjoyed it enough to keep it. it will be interesting to get more feedback on this new lens when many more copies are in photographers hands. I do however love the size as its obviously the same as my original and much nicer to hold than any of the others even the E58, but I adore my E58 just as you seem to. 

unfortunately I am not lucky enough to be able to compare the new f1,2 with the original so I don't know what the difference could be. however I am using the new f1,2 a lot because first of all I spent a lot of money to buy it and then I think it is important to have the time to try it in many situations before being able to judge it. Yes, the first impression is very important, for all things! , but then you need to have constancy to appreciate it for the expressive possibilities it allows you to obtain.

The Noctilux is unique and the 75mm Summilux is one of many excellent f/1.4 lenses in the short-telephoto range.  As already noted, the 80mm Summilux-R (essentially the same lens—the 75mm was shortened 5mm to reduce finder blockage on the M) is substantially cheaper and maybe better for an SL2.

I own a v4 Noctilux and an 80 lux, and used to own a 75 lux.  I sold the 75 on the theory that the 80 (and the last pre-asph 90mm cron, on an M) did about the same thing.  In the years since, that reasoning proved sound.  However, recently I got tired of fighting to focus the 80 quickly and very precisely on an EVF body (Sony), and picked up a native 85/1.4 that has excellent image qualities to my eye.  This lens works perfectly with the Sony eye-AF technology.  Any missing Mandler magic is made up for by quicker shooting and many, many fewer near misses.

The Noctilux is unique.

• Like 1

an example of the noctilux f1 50mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

and an example of the summilux R 80mm

the choice is yours for which one is more magical

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The thing to bear in mind with using the 75 lux with the RF (and my copy was perfectly calibrated) is that you have to be comfortable with the 75 frame lines. As an inveterate 50 user I found it hard to switch to the rather vestigial 75mm lines.

In the end, not withstanding the different MFD and angle of view, I’m personally more comfortable with the 50 f1 and then the 90 Summicron (pre-ASPH) which at max aperture has enough soft/sharp character for me.

If you like the abstract image...

Best to get both of them..

As they are different..

The F1 Noct is the last lens I would sell though..

I didnt want to spend the big inflated bux on the 75..

It was always expensive..and just keeps getting worse..

So I found a great deal on a F1 from a private seller on the cheap..years ago..the 60mm version.

But in B&W on a rangefinder..Noct is not my cuppo tea..

Too hard to focus..and not bitey enough..

But in color...pure magic..

I may get the 80mm R lens someday..as its cheaper..

On 8/31/2021 at 6:18 AM, IkarusJohn said:

One consideration, though perhaps not so much with the SL2, is that the 75 Summilux does have the focus shift the f/1 Noctilux has.  @MarkP, have you noticed this?  I was lined up to buy a version IV f/1 Noct from Ken Hansen a few years ago (despite the $8,000 price tag0, but focus shift killed it for me.

+1

Sorry, just saw this.

No, I've not had focus shift problems with the 75. I've learned to accommodate for the 50. For more critical work (ie wide open, low light) I tend to use the EVF on the M10 or the SL2 - much better hit rate.  I rarely use them wide open but prefer limiting use to a stop off maximum. Maintains character and also improves contrast.

Regards,
Mark

On 9/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, fabior said:

...when the light, the composition, the subject, the environment, etc  are all "aligned" the result with the noctilux f1 is magical, unique. 

I so agree with this statement.  
It is also the only lens I have where people who know nothing about photography ask me what lens I used.

• Thanks 1

Ugh, there was a “not” missing in that post you quoted, Mark!  Tant pis …

As for the 75 with B&W, I haven’t found that a problem:

• Like 1