I ordered a CL today.

Straight from camera shot of CL/Voigt 21mm and also the Voigt 10mm

There is some CA but these were shot 21mm f1.8 and the 10mm f5.6 so both lenses were used wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Marac
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ramarren said:

I've heard good things about the Sigma L-series lenses. That said, I question whether the aperture ring is 'real' ... that is, a mechanically coupled ring that directly affects the iris mechanism ... or whether it's just a potentiometer that the body reads and then sets the lens opening with. At least... that's how Panasonic made the aperture rings on the Panasonic-Leica lenses for the FourThirds SLR cameras. 

I've not yet actually seen the Sigma L-series lenses in person... None of the very very few brick and mortar photo shops left around here carries any of these things.  

G

It's all electronic. But the ring is "real" and for all intents and purposes identical to a mechanical aperture ring. 

The CL came today and it's smaller and lighter than I expected. But when I got the Q it was larger and heaver than I expected. It's a little smaller then my Fujifilm X-E4. The thumbs up is nice but it seems like it would have been better if it came across a little farther so that my palm wasn't over the side of the back display as much, but no big deal. I expect if it was longer it would interfere with the right side dial. Between the CL and the Q I have four batteries for them to share. 

The menus take a little to get used to as compared to the Q, but that with just take a couple of times and it will feel right at home. There are something I like better on the Q menus and some better on the CL. I expect if I was coming from the Q2/SL it would have felt at home from the start.

The main issue is the 18-55 lens doesn't show up for two more days! I'm so tempted to run to the camera store tomorrow and pick up a Sigma 56mm or 30mm f 1.4, but the plan was to use the zoom for now and see which of the focal length I use the most with this camera. The funny thing is with how compact the CL is it would be cool to have the 18 or 23mm. I have a fuji 27mm pancake lens on my X-E4 as it's main lens and it slips really nice into the pocket of my vest. I didn't want to replace what the Q can do really well, but to have it with me more it might be worth getting a 18 or 23.

3 minutes ago, Driften said:

The CL came today and it's smaller and lighter than I expected. But when I got the Q it was larger and heaver than I expected. It's a little smaller then my Fujifilm X-E4. The thumbs up is nice but it seems like it would have been better if it came across a little farther so that my palm wasn't over the side of the back display as much, but no big deal. I expect if it was longer it would interfere with the right side dial. Between the CL and the Q I have four batteries for them to share. 

The menus take a little to get used to as compared to the Q, but that with just take a couple of times and it will feel right at home. There are something I like better on the Q menus and some better on the CL. I expect if I was coming from the Q2/SL it would have felt at home from the start.

The main issue is the 18-55 lens doesn't show up for two more days! I'm so tempted to run to the camera store tomorrow and pick up a Sigma 56mm or 30mm f 1.4, but the plan was to use the zoom for now and see which of the focal length I use the most with this camera. The funny thing is with how compact the CL is it would be cool to have the 18 or 23mm. I have a fuji 27mm pancake lens on my X-E4 as it's main lens and it slips really nice into the pocket of my vest. I didn't want to replace what the Q can do really well, but to have it with me more it might be worth getting a 18 or 23.

The 18-56 is a cracking good lens. Sharp from end to end and corner to corner, and wide open. I have all the TL zooms, but that is the one I use the most. 

I have also used it on my SL2 with fantastic results. Eventually the prime lens you buy will be for a wider aperture. But the 18-56 on a CL is a small and versatile package that is not the center of attention when you start photographing.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, Driften said:

I have talked about rental for the future lens needs before buying.

I have rented more than one lens before committing to the buy, and it has kept me from purchasing on at least two occasions when I realized the rented object of my interest would have just ended up spending most of its time on the shelf.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, SoarFM said:

The 18-56 is a cracking good lens. Sharp from end to end and corner to corner, and wide open. I have all the TL zooms, but that is the one I use the most. 

I have also used it on my SL2 with fantastic results. Eventually the prime lens you buy will be for a wider aperture. But the 18-56 on a CL is a small and versatile package that is not the center of attention when you start photographing.

You summed up my original plan. 

3 minutes ago, SoarFM said:

I have rented more than one lens before committing to the buy, and it has kept me from purchasing on at least two occasions when I realized the rented object of my interest would have just ended up spending most of its time on the shelf.

I should take advantage of rentals more often. I think it would save me money in the long run. 

Unhappy with FedEx home delivery. The lens was initially expected Wednesday and then pushed to Thursday. Now after it sitting yesterday from 11am to 11pm in Portland it didn't get delivered today in the Seattle area. Now they are saying tomorrow by end of day. It's direct signature required so I'm stuck at home waiting for it another day. I had other FedEx packages that went past it on the road and were delivered today, but they were normal not home.

Oh well. Guess that's what I get for going with the free shipping option. Soon the 18-56 and I will be able to use the CL will be here and I won't remember the delay.

12 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

That's the only advantage of being in a lockdown (in my 6th at the moment): you are stuck at home anyway.

I'm just wishing my 5 km circle was a bit more interesting. I finally retrieved my CL from Camera Clinic this week in the break between 5 and 6 and was looking forward to getting out with it this weekend. At least with my CL I can easily take it with me on during my allowed exercise period.

We're sorta in the market to sell our house in the inner east to move to inner bayside; I'm wishing we had done so already.

12 hours ago, Driften said:

Oh well. Guess that's what I get for going with the free shipping option. Soon the 18-56 and I will be able to use the CL will be here and I won't remember the delay.

It is definitely worth the wait.

7 minutes ago, AdHox said:

I'm just wishing my 5 km circle was a bit more interesting. I finally retrieved my CL from Camera Clinic this week in the break between 5 and 6 and was looking forward to getting out with it this weekend. At least with my CL I can easily take it with me on during my allowed exercise period.

We're sorta in the market to sell our house in the inner east to move to inner bayside; I'm wishing we had done so already.

I am very happy that I am no longer living in boring Balwyn, would be terrible during lockdown. Can't complain now, living at the bay. Enjoy your CL! So glad we have Camera Clinic in Melbourne.

6 hours ago, Marac said:

There is only one thing worse than waiting for a lens to be delivered

& that is NOT waiting for a lens to be delivered.

Enjoy.

The part that bothered me the most was it was the first lens for the camera. All I've been able to do is format the SD card and adjust what the FN button does. It's hard to have a new "toy" and not be able to use it. It's mostly the new toy part. I could have been using my Q or other cameras, but have been too busy the last few days to use them.

I know it's hard for you guys on lockdown. I had COVID back in February and I would rather be on lockdown then go though that again and my wife and I had a mild case. We were able to get the vaccine in June after the ninety day wait after recovering from COVID. The place we live is mostly all back to normal activities. I hope it will be safe for you all soon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Driften said:

The 18-55 showed up and is looking like a nice lens to use. I think I do want a faster prime to go with it, but not sure what yet.

Sigma have some excellent glass for the CL, 16mm f1.4/ 30mm f1.4/ 56mm f1.4 very good IQ and cheap as chips. I also own the 24mm f3.5 and 45mm f2.8 these are nice small lenses that work really well on the CL 

3 hours ago, Driften said:

The 18-55 showed up and is looking like a nice lens to use. I think I do want a faster prime to go with it, but not sure what yet.

I have the 23mm Summicron which makes for a very useful walk-about combination. Faster for those low-light encounters.

7 hours ago, wda said:

I have the 23mm Summicron which makes for a very useful walk-about combination. Faster for those low-light encounters.

The size of that lens makes it enticing and at f2 it's plenty fast for most things. I think the main reason it's not higher up my list is with a small crop on the Q it covers 35mm with it's amazing lens. The 23 Summinron and 18 Elmarit sure make for a compact package. I think someday I will buy one or both of those.

• Like 1