Q2 as a point and shoot camera in full auto mode?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.  I’m a total beginner. I love taking photos easily with my iPhone 12 ProMax but find the pictures are lacking that professional look. I have a Sony A7c with different lenses and I have taken Bette photos than my iPhone but still are not convinced. I know one way to get better looking photos are by learning to be a photographer but alas I don’t have the time. What I’m looking for is a camera than can take better looking photos than my iPhone but with almost the same simplicity. I’ve read a lot about how great and special the Q2 is and reading the manual I’ve seen it has Scene Modes and Auto mode and even a HDR mode. My question is: in the meantime I learn how to excel at other settings can I use the Leica as my iPhone with the scene mode and auto mode and still get bette looking photos than my iPhone? Thank you very much. Yes I’m aware about how expensive the Q2 is but if this means I would be getting better photos in auto mode I’ll be very happy indeed. Thank you!

Yes - it would. It can be set to full auto and JPG and produce a decent image - any camera can do that. And phone shots look nice but tend to break down when used for more than social media and snapshots
But you will be paying A LOT of money for quality that you don't use. I doubt that you will see better results than you would from any mid-range compact or bridge camera.
If you want to use it as a learning tool towards better photography go for it by all means, if you do invest time and effort to learn things like exposure, composition, above all, postprocessing, you can proceed to superb results. Otherwise look for the offerings of  one of the other major brands and use the money saved to buy some quality time to use the camera.

• Like 2

I have both the Q2 and an iPhone 12 Pro Max. The iPhone is capable of some extremely good "professional look" photos. It is not just about the camera, however, but also understanding llight, aperture, shutter speed, iso and composition as Jaapv says. Buying a Q2 and expecting "pro" looks may be an expensive lesson. Have a look at the iPhone 12 Pro Max photos on Flickr for examples of how good it can be.

Don't get me wrong, the Q2 is a phenomal camera, perhaps the best but certainly my favourite camera to date and will do what you want, however, it will not get you "pro" shots (except by luck) if one does not understand light, aperture, shutter speed, iso.

Your Sony is as capable a camera as any and as you already have it, buying a Leica is unlikely to produce much better results. The only way to get better photographs is to learn photography. A camera is just a tool. Buying the most expensive camera (or any camera you care to choose) and using it on auto will not make better photos than your Sony or Phone. It is your money, but it would be money wasted. Learning photography using the very capable tool you already have, the Sony or your phone, is an enjoyable skill and it is just practice that helps. Maybe it is just composition of the image that is required, not the camera technicalities that is required - I dont know - perhaps an example of a photo you are not happy with would help so that we can add constructive comments

Take photos with what you have, look at the end results, and then question what aspects could be improved upon. The trouble with Auto is that it doesnt know how you want the end result to look, so will always be "average". Though that may be enough for family snaapshots if that is all you want.

Edited by Chris_H
  • Like 1

i have an iphone 12 and can attest that it is capable of photos so good even long time photographers can't tell them from the s1 and q2 photos i post to the internet. especially since the focal length is nearly the same as the q2. as others have said, just knowing the basic principals of photography means that your knowledge and experience count for much more than your equipment except for specialized photography such as macro where special tools are needed or maybe sports to catch moving action. 

these folks are also right that the q2 in full auto mode would rarely be better than a $150 point and shoot camera as you will lose the benefits of emphasizing the areas where it excels and you need to know some photo techniques to know how to deploy those.

/guy

I think before you spend over $5000 for the Q2, you should sit down and figure out what it is you want to do with it.  Perhaps you are blessed with deep pockets and $$$ is no object - in that case go for it.   Otherwise, I doubt you will get the results you are expecting from it.  As others have said, the Q2 is quite capable in full auto mode but that doesn't mean you can just pick up the camera and become a shooting professional by virtue of the shutter release button.   There is more to getting exceptional imagery than meets the eye.  You also mentioned that you have neither the time nor the inclination to learn about photography.  My vote is a solid no.  

Edited by Leica28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know what you mean by a professional looking picture.  Anyone can take a snapshot and just because the exposure is right and the image is in focus doesn't necessarily make it an impressive image.  Composition has nothing to do with the camera but rather developing an eye for capturing an image.  The Q2 has a 28mm fixed lens (although the image can be cropped for 35mm or 50mm) which in general terms makes some scenes more dramatic but also causes distortion if you are too close to the subject or at the edges of the frame and may not be great for portraits.  So the Q2 may not be perfect for you.  The Q2 has a great sensor and color rendition but what you will use it for and technique are probably more important factors for you to consider.  Leica has some specific workshops or hands-on sessions for the Q2.  I think you can even take one for a day.  I would look into it to make sure it will do what you hope to accomplish with it.  Otherwise, I would stick to the Sony.  The eye tracking and AF on the Sony is top notch.  Just my 2 cents.  

Sony 7C totally capable of taking professional looking photos, and arguable so is the iPhone.  With longer fast lens (try 135/2), 7C can take pictures that cannot be emulated by any smart phones.  So if 7C auto mode cannot help you take "pro" pictures, Q2 probably won't help either. If you have the found, try Leica M10, as it forces you to learn photography.

I purchased my Q2 in Spring 2019. Previously, I was using a pocket-sized, point and shoot Leica C, Type 112, which accompanied me all over the world. I have long enjoyed photography, but had been reluctant to step up from framing and taking photographs to learning more about the underlying principles of photography. So I bought a book and learned about the exposure triangle, depth of field, special lighting conditions, bokeh, etc. With this new information in mind, I researched a variety of cameras and decided on the Q2.

I experimented with aperture and shutter priority, full auto, and full manual and quickly discovered that I enjoyed the flexibilities and nuances of manual control the best. I now essentially use my Q2 as if it were an M (with EVF of course), and I have enjoyed photography so much that I have added an SL2 and a Q2 Monochrom.

So my advice would be to go for it. You will enjoy the Q2 as a sophisticated iPhone camera (i.e., in full Auto mode), and you never know where the joys and serendipities of photography will lead you. But to fully unlock the tools of the Q2 (or any camera for that matter), buy a good book, tune in to Red Dot Forum's Camera Talk, subscribe to other photography blogs, and learn from the experts. Have fun!

6 hours ago, BEG said:

I purchased my Q2 in Spring 2019. Previously, I was using a pocket-sized, point and shoot Leica C, Type 112, which accompanied me all over the world. I have long enjoyed photography, but had been reluctant to step up from framing and taking photographs to learning more about the underlying principles of photography. So I bought a book and learned about the exposure triangle, depth of field, special lighting conditions, bokeh, etc. With this new information in mind, I researched a variety of cameras and decided on the Q2.

I experimented with aperture and shutter priority, full auto, and full manual and quickly discovered that I enjoyed the flexibilities and nuances of manual control the best. I now essentially use my Q2 as if it were an M (with EVF of course), and I have enjoyed photography so much that I have added an SL2 and a Q2 Monochrom.

So my advice would be to go for it. You will enjoy the Q2 as a sophisticated iPhone camera (i.e., in full Auto mode), and you never know where the joys and serendipities of photography will lead you. But to fully unlock the tools of the Q2 (or any camera for that matter), buy a good book, tune in to Red Dot Forum's Camera Talk, subscribe to other photography blogs, and learn from the experts. Have fun!

Thats fine, but the OP already has a camera that can do all of that already - the Sony A7C. Buying the Q2 wont change the situation

Edited by Chris_H