Q upgrade to the Q2 for weather sealing only?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been shooting with my new (to me) Q almost daily for ~ 3-4 months now. I absolutely love the thing! 

My main concern is the lack of weather sealing. I want to use it more - because I love it so much - but I am afraid to use it around the pool with the kids (splashes of water), at the beach, out and about, etc. I have the microphone and speaker ports taped up with gaffers tape, but will the Q2's weather sealing offer me that much extra protection/safety?

Honestly? I prefer the Q's 24mp (I don't need the higher res) and I haven't seen/heard of anything else in the Q2 that I'd want other than the weather sealing. 

Am I wrong? What do you love in the Q2 vs the Q? And/or - is upgrading for the weather sealing worth it? Or should I just keep my ports taped up and use it and not worry about a splash of water or sand flying around at the beach?

2 hours ago, LexS said:

The weather sealing of Q2 is not good enough for swimming with the Q2. It is not a real water sealing, read posts from a few years ago.

For sure - I wouldn't bring it underwater. I have a Nikonos V for that, which is a freaking blast!

I more meant - if it gets splashed; the Q2 would fair better than the Q, yes? Or no?

20 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

For sure - I wouldn't bring it underwater. I have a Nikonos V for that, which is a freaking blast!

I more meant - if it gets splashed; the Q2 would fair better than the Q, yes? Or no?

Slightly better. But no guarantee. 

If it can get you peace of mind. 
Q2 weathersealing is better than no weather sealing at all. 
Leica is confident enough to be the only one to rate its camera at IP52 (Q2) and IP53 (SL2) 

Whereas Olympus E-M1 III is only rated at IPX1 which is nothing at all. 
Others don’t even bother to rate theirs. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IP 52 means:

Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact.

Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.

That is not much of a comfort to me.

IP ratings is just a minimum. It may be an IP66 but prefer to advertise it as IP52 for legal reasons. 
Just like Olympus were not brave enough to rate its best camera above the almost useless IPX1. But E-M1 III or E-M1X are definitely build to at least the same level of weatherproofing as SL2 

After two years of Q2 I did not hesitate to use it under every kind of weather. No problem whatsoever. Nice. 

Q2 has sealings all over the place. It is just better than nothing. 
At least it got some rubber gaskets or O-rings to physically stop water and dust to get in. 
My Q got dust on the sensor within 18 months. Nothing like that with Q2
Of course it will not stop water ingress when drop in the pool nor during a storm. 
It will not stop dust ingress in the desert. 
But it is good enough for normal weather 

I'm sure of it; my unrated digital Ms have always been pretty good - without sealing. Leica builds to tight tolerances. But if it is a purchase decision factor, it is wise to stick to the official specifications.