Is there an updated roadmap on SL zooms?

caloosajo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I’m a quite dedicated M user, but the appeal of weather sealing and the new 24-70 are growing on me (at least as a parallel kit for landscape). The main reservation I have is the 90-280 is a behemoth in both size and price.

Have there been any rumblings about, say, a MIJ 70-200 or 12-24 in the pipeline to round out this more budget-friendly all-rounder lens? I think Leica Rumors alluded to this, but wasn’t sure if there’s an actual roadmap that’s surfaced. 

9 minutes ago, caloosajo said:

So I’m a quite dedicated M user, but the appeal of weather sealing and the new 24-70 are growing on me (at least as a parallel kit for landscape). The main reservation I have is the 90-280 is a behemoth in both size and price.

Have there been any rumblings about, say, a MIJ 70-200 or 12-24 in the pipeline to round out this more budget-friendly all-rounder lens? I think Leica Rumors alluded to this, but wasn’t sure if there’s an actual roadmap that’s surfaced. 

Don't recall seeing roadmaps/rumors for additional Leica L-zooms, but Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens for Leica L is clairly an alternative on the short end. This lens has received excellent reviews. That being said, Leica will likely complement their zoom line with smaller/less expensive lenses following the 24-70.

Well, that is what the L alliance is for - to give each manufacturer an opportunity to design -or not design- lenses that complement the other participant's offerings.

On 6/7/2021 at 6:29 AM, caloosajo said:

What's wrong with the Panasonic 70-200 F4 or F2.8? Both have received excellent reviews, and you can pair them with the 1.4x teleconverter if you need additional range.

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

What's wrong with the Panasonic 70-200 F4 or F2.8? Both have received excellent reviews, and you can pair them with the 1.4x teleconverter if you need additional range.

Well, with the F2.8, very little AFAICT.  I've been singularly impressed with the results both with and without the STC1.4. OTOH, while it may not bend the local gravitational field quite like the 90-280L, it nevertheless is a massive thing.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find it strange to me to hear comments on the 90-280 as huge, or a behemoth.  Compared to similar zooms from Canon like the 100-400 or the Nikon 80-400 it's actually considerably smaller in diameter, and about the same weight.  If you are looking for a 35mm zoom to cover the focal range of 90-280 or similar, I don't think you will find a lighter weight type of lens.  The 90-280 is also easily hand holdable. 

I guess if you are coming from a M system, ranger finder, that I don't believe has anything close to a zoom with this type of range, I can see that a 90-280 is big.  

However, trust me, the 90-280 is no different in mass, size, etc than:

Nikon 80-400, Nikon 70-200, Fuji 100-400 X lens or Fuji GF 250mm., Fuji GF 100-200.  

Paul 

1 hour ago, Paul2660 said:

I find it strange to me to hear comments on the 90-280 as huge, or a behemoth.  Compared to similar zooms from Canon like the 100-400 or the Nikon 80-400 it's actually considerably smaller in diameter, and about the same weight.  If you are looking for a 35mm zoom to cover the focal range of 90-280 or similar, I don't think you will find a lighter weight type of lens.  The 90-280 is also easily hand holdable. 

I guess if you are coming from a M system, ranger finder, that I don't believe has anything close to a zoom with this type of range, I can see that a 90-280 is big.  

However, trust me, the 90-280 is no different in mass, size, etc than:

Nikon 80-400, Nikon 70-200, Fuji 100-400 X lens or Fuji GF 250mm., Fuji GF 100-200.  

Have you actually checked before posting? Leica is 1850g with an 82mm filter

Fuji 100-400 is for APS-C so apples and oranges, but anyway it's 77mm and 1375g, that's 500g difference, almost the weight of an Sl APO lens

The two GFs are for medium format. Again apples and oranges... and the 100-200 is almost half the weight at 1050g with a 67mm filter instead of 82. The 250mm is a prime, and while it has a 82mm thread, it's still lighter at 1400g

The Nikon 70-400 is 77mm and 1570g, while the 70-200 f2.8 is 77mm and 1360. 

None of the lenses you listed are either heavier or bigger.

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2021 at 6:29 AM, caloosajo said:

Have you considered the R zoom and tele lenses?  There are excellent R lenses that are still very relevant for an SL2 or SL2S.  Manual focus of course but since you come from an M that should not be a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Have you actually checked before posting? Leica is 1850g with an 82mm filter

Fuji 100-400 is for APS-C so apples and oranges, but anyway it's 77mm and 1375g, that's 500g difference, almost the weight of an Sl APO lens

The two GFs are for medium format. Again apples and oranges... and the 100-200 is almost half the weight at 1050g with a 67mm filter instead of 82. The 250mm is a prime, and while it has a 82mm thread, it's still lighter at 1400g

The Nikon 70-400 is 77mm and 1570g, while the 70-200 f2.8 is 77mm and 1360. 

None of the lenses you listed are either heavier or bigger.

Sure I checked. I own them all. To me it’s just not a big deal in weight. You gain a full stop over any other lens in this class. And as I listed before. LESS bulk over all the other lenses I mentioned. Weight is not all that matters it should be taken into consideration I agree. But unless Panasonic comes out with a similar lens or Sigma there is not much else to use if you want AF and image stabilization with a longer lens. I agree that the price point of this lens is excessive. But for that matter all Leica glass has that issue. 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

I must say it's really funny how some folks here notice a zoom only when Leica issues it.  The 24-70 was out for a year in its original form.  All of its weight/range tradeoffs were present and comparable vs 24-90.  But until Leica bestowed its yellow font on it, such a discussion has not ensued.:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb setuporg:

I must say it's really funny how some folks here notice a zoom only when Leica issues it.  The 24-70 was out for a year in its original form.  All of its weight/range tradeoffs were present and comparable vs 24-90.  But until Leica bestowed its yellow font on it, such a discussion has not ensued.:)

Right. And when Leica adapted the 14-24 from the manufatory with the "forbidden" name (but not from the forbidden city) we have  the same precedure as now. And I bet also with the long time rumored 70-200 from - hmm getting older - oh I forgot the name ....

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, setuporg said:

There was some initial curiosity, including from you.  

But no surprise, given the title of the forum.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

The Sigma was widely reviewed all over the web, and there are several threads in the "Other L-Mount products" forum.

It only became relevant to this forum after Leica modified it (although it was mentioned as an alternative to the 24-90). That's because there's a separate forum for non-Leica L-Mount cameras and lenses.

• Thanks 1

Yes those outcasts in Other Non-Leica Products, pressing their frozen little noses against our fabulous boutique shopwindow, where we're gathered inside around a fireplace with well-aged Oban and Lagavulin.:)

Edited by setuporg
  • Haha 4