LEICA SL2 VIDEO FLICKER ISSUE, NOT MOIRE - NEED HELP PLEASE!!

jacksbenjamin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I have recently noticed a pulsing flicker in the outer parts of frame (where you would normally see a vignette) with my SL2 when filming video, it is not moire, but more of a pulse of three flashes and have no idea what it is but makes the video unusable. Has anyone experienced this?

I am filming @ 24fps, C4K, L-LOG and NON, 180 degree shutter, with a Leica M lens and adapter, no fluorescents, I tested with image stabilizing and non and see it both situations.  

Including a test below (random shots) and any help would be greatly appreciated! devastating to see this.

SL2 FLICKER TESThttps://vimeo.com/520140179/b4da174625

Many thanks // Ben Jacks 

Edited by jacksbenjamin

4 hours ago, Photoworks said:

you probably have a non video approved LED bulb in the room! Any led light practicals in the room?

Wish it was that easy! Just did an hour of comprehensive tests and believe I know the problem, thoughts below - 

Edited by jacksbenjamin

UPDATE *** After extensive testing between my Leica 35mm Summilux M ASPH @ 2.8 and my Sigma L 24-70 .8 @ 35mm I found come conclusive results.

It is most noticeable when shooting video and rack focusing in "35mm Sensor Format mode" -- the video capture is using the far left and right sides of the sensor and you end up seeing strange light pulses in the far left and right of frame, where it uses the full frame of the sensor.

It is most pronounced when shooting a 2.8 or higher f stop, @ focal lengths 35mm and wider.

When you switch to APSC mode or basically Super 35mm mode the effect is greatly reduced, however your focal lengths go back to Super 35 Equivalents. 

Love to know if others are experiencing this, I plan to speak to Leica tech about this, see what they say...

Cheers!   

Never noticed this on my SL2. + 24/90... strange. Moire/flicker can do funny things but that is not it....

Are you using cine mode (all manual), or is the floating iso enabled? What kind of adapter are you using, are lenses detected properly? It looks like a flotating iso flucation or a lens profile compensation kickin-in and out.

Last time I thought something really messed up happened in video with my SL2: The feathers of a blue parrot when filmed up close in low light where "changing" their shade of colors, like pulsating... I was baflled.

Turns out it was the tally light of the Atomos that was reflected on the feathering of the bird 🤪... luckaly you can cut it off.

5 hours ago, Slender said:

Never noticed this on my SL2. + 24/90... strange. Moire/flicker can do funny things but that is not it....

Are you using cine mode (all manual), or is the floating iso enabled? What kind of adapter are you using, are lenses detected properly? It looks like a flotating iso flucation or a lens profile compensation kickin-in and out.

Last time I thought something really messed up happened in video with my SL2: The feathers of a blue parrot when filmed up close in low light where "changing" their shade of colors, like pulsating... I was baflled.

Turns out it was the tally light of the Atomos that was reflected on the feathering of the bird 🤪... luckaly you can cut it off.

Hey @Slender - many thanks for your detailed and insightful response! Wonderful questions, -- floating ISO is not on BUT it is certainly a lens profile compensation bug happening,

when using the Leica branded M - L adapter and selecting my Leica M lens from the list it activates a "look" that changes when adjusting focus from near to far, when I deactivate lens Profile and change it to "Unknown" the lens profile shifting no longer occurs in camera. However the major problem is, when the lens is chosen to unknown you CANNOT activate lens stabilization which is so helpful to have. Do you or anyone know a workaround for turning Lens Stabilization ON when Unknown Lens is chosen?

I also see this same lens profile issue when I have my Sigma L 24-70 on as well which may mean their is a global Lens Profile issue in the firmware 2.0 of the SL2 and that it is not an issue with the Leica M-L Adapter. 

Lastly I did a test of using a Leica EF- Leica L mount with my Canon EF backed Leica Summilux R 35mm and was able to select lens stabilization, so I am now considering purchasing the Metabones Leica M-L Adapter to see if this solves the short term problem of getting stabilization with M glass an no strange profiles. 

You and the other folks ever experience any of this with your M or L glass on SL2?

Thanks for giving this a read, the investigation continues!  

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would seek to contact a Leica rep who knows how to get the info up the chain in Germany. It has worked for me before on another topic, because these are obviously overlooked issues that could be solved via firmware. I havent had the chance to try the PL to L adapter, but it would be shamefull if the wonderfull stabilisation doesnt work with (leica) cine lenses for exemple as well.

Keep in mind it is all a bit of a new venture for this small company and users of the SL2(s) like you (us on this forum in general) will be far more pushing with observations, critics, requests....etc on the technical aspects/possibilities we see in the potential of the relatively new SL line.....  than the average -- far more profitable for Leica --- affluent collector of rebooted limited edition manual M lenses with lizard covered M cameras..... No offense, more power to them because we owe them the existence of an affordable SL2s.

So I guess Leica are a bit overwhelmed at all there is left to do to bring the SL up to what we think/assume it could do with a bit more "want" from Leica. I doubt they will want to launch a fully fledge competitor + accessories of a Lumix S1H, but the idea of a "tiny Alexa/Panaflex" incorporated in a great still camera is certainly what is being tried and tempting.

22 minutes ago, Slender said:

I would seek to contact a Leica rep who knows how to get the info up the chain in Germany. It has worked for me before on another topic, because these are obviously overlooked issues that could be solved via firmware. I havent had the chance to try the PL to L adapter, but it would be shamefull if the wonderfull stabilisation doesnt work with (leica) cine lenses for exemple as well.

Keep in mind it is all a bit of a new venture for this small company and users of the SL2(s) like you (us on this forum in general) will be far more pushing with observations, critics, requests....etc on the technical aspects/possibilities we see in the potential of the relatively new SL line.....  than the average -- far more profitable for Leica --- affluent collector of rebooted limited edition manual M lenses with lizard covered M cameras..... No offense, more power to them because we owe them the existence of an affordable SL2s.

So I guess Leica are a bit overwhelmed at all there is left to do to bring the SL up to what we think/assume it could do with a bit more "want" from Leica. I doubt they will want to launch a fully fledge competitor + accessories of a Lumix S1H, but the idea of a "tiny Alexa/Panaflex" incorporated in a great still camera is certainly what is being tried and tempting.

@Slender - love your standpoint on this and will be hollering at Rob Passman to let him know, clearly an update needs to happen for the motion side and it is on us for the change!! Also super wonderful to hear that you call the SL2 a “mini Alexa mini” I often say the exact same thing to my clients :) 

i am yet to use the SL2 for my commercial shoots but solving this issue brings me once step closer, also my Leica R Cine set looks amazing on this system and highly recommend it.

major gratitude to everyone here helping to solve these problems and get more knowledgeable together.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

you can use the Leica adapter with Summilux M lens, just cover the 6Bit sensor with thin masking tape, and then select the lens from the menu manual, no profile will applied and IBIS is back on

@Photoworks - you solved it with such a simple and clean solution!’ So much gratitude for helping to mute the 6bit coding, now I can select the lens and still have the M-L adapter with IBIS stabilization!! was worried I would have to grab a inferior metabones to solve it.

truly thanks so much for this current solve! 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

Edited by jacksbenjamin
  • Like 1