Second SL2-s problem 9 months after the first one

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all

9 months after my SL2-s developed an EVF problem (that was replaced by the factory within warranty in 2/12)  it has now developed a jammed shutter. This makes me wonder about quality control. Has anyone had similar issues with their SL601 / SL2 / SL2-s? Any input is being appreciated. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/14/2022 at 6:10 AM, Kyros Moutsouris said:

Dear all

9 months after my SL2-s developed an EVF problem (that was replaced by the factory within warranty in 2/12)  it has now developed a jammed shutter. This makes me wonder about quality control. Has anyone had similar issues with their SL601 / SL2 / SL2-s? Any input is being appreciated. 

My SL type 601 gave up the ghost recently. Leica USA traced this down to a broken imaging sensor, no external impact, no water damage the sensor just died.

I had a great conversation with one of the Leica technical support staff. He confirmed that this was a very unusual failure (I guess I just got lucky).

Leica USA replaced the main board (the imaging sensor sits in a BGA package and you cannot replace just the sensor), for a fee that seems high but within usual rates for this kind  of work (2+h of labor plus parts and supplies). I just received the SL back on Mon.

Obviously I am not very happy that the Leica SL 601 just died for no apparent reason. Hopefully the camera lasts for a few more years after this repair. 

• 1 year later...

I also had a shutter jammed for no identified reason and with no preliminary symptoms on my SL2-s. Fortunately, it is under warranty and was immediately sent by my Leica store in Germany for a shutter replacement.  However, there is no announced timetable for this repair and the otherwise very friendly Leica store technician told me that it could take over 3 months to get it back. This is rather annoying and surprising for such an expensive and supposedly very reliable camera.

I talked about this with Leica CS and in fact they are as upset about it as the customers are. The reason is the common one: desperate staff shortages and Leica is unwilling to hire just any screwdriver-wielding fool. Training up staff will pull experienced technicians from the repair lines making matters worse. Try finding a competent housepainter or plumber….

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

I talked about this with Leica CS and in fact they are as upset about it as the customers are. The reason is the common one: desperate staff shortages and Leica is unwilling to hire just any screwdriver-wielding fool. Training up staff will pull experienced technicians from the repair lines making matters worse. Try finding a competent housepainter or plumber….

Try finding a competent housepainter or plumber….

Maybe a well paid lawyer or senior -chief-sales promoter can help.😅