Why is this?

mustafasoleiman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new M10r has misfired twice and I wonder if this is a hardware issue of the camera or the SD card has failed... What do you think?   The very next shot taken is fine for both instances and the two misfires were a few dozen shots apart.

Any ideas?

Alex

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If other frames "before/after" are ok ... and SD card fine, no explanation.

May it be environment ?

Strong relay antenna not far, your mobile phone too near the M10-R, or what else ?

This is for M246, warnings that is not innocent...

Same problem, same location, first lanscape second portrait orientation.

Some sort of shutter problem.  Off chance could it be sliding lens cap was kept in place looks like a very strong hard graded ND filter kept over the lens.

I had the same problem occur to the a much lesser extent a few weeks back on my new m10-r.   The context was the camera is new with about 50 shots on it.  It occurred after an hour outdoors in -10C temperature.  It repeated on three shots and was gone on subsequent ones.  It has not repeated since and I have been out for longer periods at similar temperature.  My guess is that it was the new shutter still breaking in and the shutter being at -10C contributed.  I hope the shutter is now worked in and will no longer be an issue.

No caps, no filter, not very cold, battery charged, no EVF... One thing is that after I cam back I tried to reformat the SD card and the camera tried but then the SD was not showing up on the screen... I had to reformat the card in the computer using SDFormatter, then put it back in the camera and reformat it again without problems this time... Never had problems with the card before.

Do you still think it's the shutter?

Alex

Edited by mustafasoleiman

1 hour ago, mustafasoleiman said:

Do you have a contact?  I could only find one in London...Alex

Hello Alex, this is a new camera isn't it? Have you spoken with the dealership, that would be my first move and / or as LocalHero1953 suggests contact the London office of Leica Service. Otherwise you can call Leica Service directly in Wetzlar at: +49 (0) 6441 2080189 and ask them whether you can send some images for their technicians to look at before the camera is sent anywhere. I have always found the people at Wetzlar to be extremely helpful, ( sadly, I've called them far too much! ). If there's a fault they should be able to arrange pick-up to have it serviced......BUT if it's that new I'd make a nuisance of myself with the dealership to have it replaced not serviced......It does look like a shutter problem to me but good luck anyway............

An SD card problem can slice and dice pictures - it cannot change the exposure! ;)

So this is a shutter problem of some kind. Something is causing the second set of blades, that closes the shutter opening (and times the exposure), to suddenly stick (first image) or slowly lag behind more and more (second image with "fade-out"). Producing overexposure, with a hard or fuzzy edge, of about half the picture.

It is not a "release" problem, since it only begins halfway through the exposure.

It could be an intermittent physical jamming or "braking" of the lightweight shutter blades (which slide over one another) by specks of dust or grime, or possibly congealed lubricant. Which interferes with the smooth travel of the "closing" shutter.

I suppose with today's "motor-driven" (as opposed to spring-driven) shutters, it could be the drive motor for the second set of blades also not spinning smoothly, which could be an electronic fault, or a physical obstruction.

Question not asked yet - were these taken with "Live-view/EVF" in operation? I.E. the shutter open for electronic viewing, and then closing/opening/closing again for the actual exposure?

Looking at the shutter with the lens off, and firing it a few times under similar conditions, might reveal something. Or not - the shutter movement is very fast (about 5 meters per second!) and thus hard to track visually.

Edited by adan
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Hello Alex, this is a new camera isn't it? Have you spoken with the dealership, that would be my first move and / or as LocalHero1953 suggests contact the London office of Leica Service. Otherwise you can call Leica Service directly in Wetzlar at: +49 (0) 6441 2080189 and ask them whether you can send some images for their technicians to look at before the camera is sent anywhere. I have always found the people at Wetzlar to be extremely helpful, ( sadly, I've called them far too much! ). If there's a fault they should be able to arrange pick-up to have it serviced......BUT if it's that new I'd make a nuisance of myself with the dealership to have it replaced not serviced......It does look like a shutter problem to me but good luck anyway............

I have already called the dealer and let him know the problem... I'll confirm again tomorrow that I need to change the camera.

11 minutes ago, adan said:

An SD card problem can slice and dice pictures - it cannot change the exposure! ;)

So this is a shutter problem of some kind. Something is causing the second set of blades, that closes the shutter opening (and times the exposure), to suddenly stick (first image) or slowly lag behind more and more (second image with "fade-out"). Producing overexposure, with a hard or fuzzy edge, of about half the picture.

It is not a "release" problem, since it only begins halfway through the exposure.

It could be an intermittent physical jamming or "braking" of the lightweight shutter blades (which slide over one another) by specks of dust or grime, or possibly congealed lubricant. Which interferes with the smooth travel of the "closing" shutter.

I suppose with today's "motor-driven" (as opposed to spring-driven) shutters, it could be the drive motor for the second set of blades also not spinning smoothly, which could be an electronic fault, or a physical obstruction.

Question not asked yet - were these taken with "Live-view/EVF" in operation? I.E. the shutter open for electronic viewing, and then closing/opening/closing again for the actual exposure?

Looking at the shutter with the lens off, and firing it a few times under similar conditions, might reveal something. Or not - the shutter movement is very fast (about 5 meters per second!) and thus hard to track visually.

No live view/EVF... I think you are correct.

Many thanks to all for the help.

Alex

4 hours ago, mustafasoleiman said:

Thank you but which specific model as there is more than one Sandisk 32 gb card?

Alex