No longer getting manual focus magnification

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I can no longer seem to get the focus magnification box on 'MF' mode since updating to the new firmware.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have it in MF with I think focus assist on and when I half press and turn the focus ring, the focus changes but I don't get the zoom box any more.

Help!

19 minutes ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

I have it in MF with I think focus assist on and when I half press and turn the focus ring, the focus changes but I don't get the zoom box any more.

My digital CL always did this with M lenses. This behavior will never change hopefully. YMMV.

With TL lenses and the CL set to manual focus. auto magnification works on mine when I turn the focus ring. It's when I use adapted M lenses with the M adapter that I have to use the wheel to manually zoom in to confirm focus. Far as I can see there is no auto zoom in when using manual focus lenses of any kind.

Edited by Gregm61

Using my 23mm I changed the "Focusing/Focusmode" to MF, then I get a magnified image when I change focus. This is not the behavior with M lenses, then you have engage the magnified image either with the wheels, with a Leica M to L adapter, or touch pad otherwise. Also with an M lens "Focus Mode" is grayed out. Under "Focusing/Focus Assist" there is "Auto Magnification" which can be turned on or off.

1 minute ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Using my 23mm I changed the "Focusing/Focusmode" to MF, then I get a magnified image when I change focus.

OK but half pressing the shutter release causes the magnified image to shut off i suppose, no? Just curious as  have no experience with L lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 13 Minuten schrieb lct:

OK but half pressing the shutter release causes the magnified image to shut off i suppose, no? Just curious as  have no experience with L lenses.

Yes, then the mag goes away with a touchof the shutter, move the focusing ring again you have magnification. Turn off "Auto Magnification" it behaves as a normal camera, no magnification. Just finding this all out this morning.

• Thanks 1

So check "Focusing" on the menu, under that "Focus Mode", if you want manual focus it should be set to MF. Then go to "Focus Assist" under that "Auto Magnification" should be ON. That should do it, I imagine your "Auto Magnification" is OFF.  I have "Focusing" as one of my favorites. All I have been going over is for TL lenses, much of this is turned off with M lenses. 

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

7 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Is your "Focusing Mode" on MF? What lens are you having problems with?

Yes, my focusing is on MF, the peaking is off and none of them are magnifying.  Wondering if it's related to the firmware update.  First noted on the 11-23 but the 55-135 likewise did not give me the magnification box.  Have not tried with the primes yet. 

This might not be the right place, but I have just bought a Novoflex LET/NIK adaptor so I can use my venerable manual focus Nikon lenses on my CL.  Is it possible and if so how can I use focus magnifying with the adaptor.  I can use it with the M lens adaptor, I think.  

33 minutes ago, GFW2-SCUSA said:

This might not be the right place, but I have just bought a Novoflex LET/NIK adaptor so I can use my venerable manual focus Nikon lenses on my CL.  Is it possible and if so how can I use focus magnifying with the adaptor.  I can use it with the M lens adaptor, I think.  

You can use it with the arrows but not with the upper dials for which you need a Leica adapter.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, SoCalLeicanator said:

Yes, my focusing is on MF, the peaking is off and none of them are magnifying.  Wondering if it's related to the firmware update.  First noted on the 11-23 but the 55-135 likewise did not give me the magnification box.  Have not tried with the primes yet. 

Try turning the option OFF, turn the camera OFF, then turn the camera and the option back ON.

Sometimes the setting one feature or another is inadvertently changed without being reflected in the UI display of the settings. The old IT joke of "Have you turned your computer off and then back on again...?" seems to actually work. :)

G

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

Try turning the option OFF, turn the camera OFF, then turn the camera and the option back ON.

Sometimes the setting one feature or another is inadvertently changed without being reflected in the UI display of the settings. The old IT joke of "Have you turned your computer off and then back on again...?" seems to actually work. :)

G

This is what I ended up doing and it did restore.  It's so weird however that it took that. . . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

This is what I ended up doing and it did restore.  It's so weird however that it took that. . . 

That's good to hear. 

FYI, it is and it isn't a particularly weird problem. It just points to the fact that the underlying machine state can get out of sync with the user interface from time to time, when large changes (like firmware updates) are performed. Cameras today have a lot of sophistication that's very very similar to "computer vs operating system" sophistication, and it happens on computer systems pretty frequently that some minor bit of the underlying machine gets out of sync with the UI when the OS is updated.

Forcing a reset by setting the option off, restarting the camera, and then turning the option back on to what you want is a simple, brute force way of forcing reconnection of the UI with the underlying system. That's why it's such an old staple in the IT world that it's become a joking catch-phrase.. :)

G