Zoom lens on an M240

boojum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M240 with the Epson viewfinder which turns the camera into a virtual SLR.  And when that happens I can use any lens which can be adapted to this camera. Currently I use a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 which is not RF compatible but with the VF it works just fine.  There are many old K mount zooms and macro zooms available to very attractive prices which would also work just fine.  So, my question is, has anyone on the board tried this?  And how did it work if it has been tried?  

There is an abundance of new glass out there for Leicas and it is very good and the prices are very attractive.  With that electronic viewfinder a lot of old glass is usable, too.

Edited by boojum

I tried a few 20 years old nikon zoom like 17-35, 28-70 & 80-200 f/2.8 on a M240 using EVF if that counts.  Forget my post if it's K mount specific.  My say is regardless zoom or prime, native or non-native, any EVF shot was a painful shot, it takes 1+ second to complete so I missed everything I want.  Your experience maybe better if you shoot something that's not moving. 

• Like 1

Oh yes - years ago. Good results with an Olympus OM 75-150 and excellent to superb ones with the Vario-Elmars 35-70, 80-200 and 105-280. I never found the EVF a problem, the lag (caused by the camera writing) was not much of a issue in 95% of the cases, the solution to the blackout is to set Autoreview, which will freeze the image for an instant. I never missed anything, as the blackout/freeze occurs after the image is taken...

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

Oh yes - years ago. Good results with an Olympus OM 75-150 and excellent to superb ones with the Vario-Elmars 35-70, 80-200 and 105-280. I never found the EVF a problem, the lag (caused by the camera writing) was not much of a issue in 95% of the cases, the solution to the blackout is to set Autoreview, which will freeze the image for an instant. I never missed anything, as the blackout/freeze occurs after the image is taken...

Thanks for the useful input and the tip.  I am game to try it.  And that old zoom macro glass is cheap now and some of it is pretty good.  Why not?

I was given a Canon AE-1 and a bunch of FD lenses by a friend for my equipment display shelves. Well, I purchased a Fotodiox FD-LM adapter for the fun of it, and tried his FD 70-210 mm f/4 zoom lens with my M-P (240). Works fine, and has a bonus macro range at the 70 mm end. It works, but not for quick work: open to f/4 to focus, close to working aperture (if not just using wide open), etc., so it is not akin to working with a typical slr. Image quality is rather good, FD lenses were and still are excellent.

Edited by Jean-Michel
typos

Canon makes some great lenses.  I have a nice 28mm f/2.8 Canon on my M8.2 and it works very well.  With the EVF there opens a sea of old manual lenses at good prices which can be used on the M240.  There's a lot of good glass out there.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m also a Pentax (film) user and I have several K and KA lenses.  I also have a Novoflex adapter for Pentax lenses, and an Olympus electronic viewfinder.  I’m surprised how well the Pentax lenses work on the Leica, although they look a bit out of place.  I recently tried an old 70-200mm zoom to photograph the recent “Christmas Star”.  Considering that my zoom is decades old, the result wasn’t too bad.   I own a Macro-Elmer (90mm) with the macro adapter, but find that my 50mm macro KA Pentax also gives acceptable results.  

Edited by too old to care
Spelling

On 1/20/2021 at 4:23 AM, boojum said:

I plan to continue playing with old Pentax glass.  Pentax had good lenses in the RF days.

Pentax, RF ?

I'm not aware that Pentax (or Asahi ?) made RF cameras.

I know only this lens limited edition 43mm Special

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and follow the fun period of exotic zoom on M

Canon FD L, big ...one of the best 20-35 zoom

Edited by a.noctilux

19 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Pentax, RF ?

I'm not aware that Pentax (or Asahi ?) made RF cameras.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and follow the fun period of exotic zoom on M

Canon FD L, big ...one of the best 20-35 zoom

You are correct.  My error.  I am using the lens off an ME Super, and SLR lens which works with the Epson VF.  I'm glad someone knows what's going on.

Edited by boojum

• 1 month later...