M10-R battery running down when not in use

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Given the current lock-down in the UK and that due to age and that I am taking immunosuppressive medication, I am pretty much staying in the house, as I have been for some months. I have therefore had limited opportunities to use my M10-R since buying it in the first days after release (I had pre-ordered it a few months previously). Nearly every time I have come to the camera, I have noticed its battery has gone down to 2 bars, even with minimal usage. My M240, SL and CL do not seem to run down their battery at all when not in use and from memory, neither did my M9 or M8. 

Have others noticed this or is there a fault in my M10-R, requiring a holiday in Wetzlar? I know that some battery will be used to keep the clock running and the built in battery charged and it may just be that this is more noticeable with the smaller battery of the M10. 

Wilson

21 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Given the current lock-down in the UK and that due to age and that I am taking immunosuppressive medication, I am pretty much staying in the house, as I have been for some months. I have therefore had limited opportunities to use my M10-R since buying it in the first days after release (I had pre-ordered it a few months previously). Nearly every time I have come to the camera, I have noticed its battery has gone down to 2 bars, even with minimal usage. My M240, SL and CL do not seem to run down their battery at all when not in use and from memory, neither did my M9 or M8. 

Have others noticed this or is there a fault in my M10-R, requiring a holiday in Wetzlar? I know that some battery will be used to keep the clock running and the built in battery charged and it may just be that this is more noticeable with the smaller battery of the M10. 

Wilson

Wilson, could it be that your battery has not reached it's full potential charge yet... I seem to remember you need to use/exhaust/re-charge the battery for a few cycles before it will actually hold a full charge for any time.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Wilson, could it be that your battery has not reached it's full potential charge yet... I seem to remember you need to use/exhaust/re-charge the battery for a few cycles before it will actually hold a full charge for any time.

That could well be the issue, as I have not used the camera a lot and have been cycling between 2 batteries generally changing at one or two bars rather than empty. After Leica sent me a another battery FOC, in lieu of the Fotos app being made free after I had paid for the subscription, I now have three batteries. I will temporarily reset the camera to stay switched on and try to run all three batteries through a full cycle. 

Wilson

• Like 2

I've noticed the same in my M10 batteries, with no change after many charge cycles - compared to the M9 they lose charge faster. I see this also out of the camera, with my spare battery, so it may not be more drain from the M10 idle current, but due to the battery internals.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

I've noticed the same in my M10 batteries, with no change after many charge cycles - compared to the M9 they lose charge faster. I see this also out of the camera, with my spare battery, so it may not be more drain from the M10 idle current, but due to the battery internals.

Presumably the M10 batteries are the Leica version of: 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, budjames said:

Turn off Bluetooth and WiFi. Wake with Bluetooth kills the battery life even with the camera off.

Regards,

Bud

By turning off wifi and bluetooth, as there are no direct controls for those in the menu, I presume you mean turn off Fotos and GPS. When I checked on my M10-R, they were both already off, which was no surprise but the battery is still drifting slowly down. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

By turning off wifi and bluetooth, as there are no direct controls for those in the menu, I presume you mean turn off Fotos and GPS. When I checked on my M10-R, they were both already off, which was no surprise but the battery is still drifting slowly down. 

Wilson

You got it! I have Fotos and GPS turned off on my M10R and I have not noticed the battery drain that you are experiencing. Did you try a different battery?

It might be worth a call to Leica tech support to see what they have to offer.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

3 minutes ago, budjames said:

You got it! I have Fotos and GPS turned off on my M10R and I have not noticed the battery drain that you are experiencing. Did you try a different battery?

It might be worth a call to Leica tech support to see what they have to offer.

Regards,
Bud James

Bud, 

It is a brand new battery on its first cycle so may not have properly formed yet. I will check after a couple of cycles and see if it is still happening. 

Wilson

• Like 1

There is no Bluetooth in an M10.  Turning Fotos OFF (until you need it) will certainly save power, as the wifi does drain the battery fast.  Turning Fotos ON and making a connection, even just to see if it works and maybe review a picture or two, will cost you some battery capacity (10% or more).  But I just checked my M10-R, which has been sitting still for a week or so, and its battery is at 95%, which may reflect the last few shots I took with it.

GPS on an M10 is only provided by a VF020, if you have one.  There may be some drain if the VF-GPS (a fairly weak unit) is on but the camera is switched off, since these things are always a bit alive inside.I see that I have my GPS set to OFF, even though there has been a VF020 on the camera recently and at the moment.  I'll set GPS ON, switch the camera off and see how it is doing tomorrow.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just before you posted Scott, I had checked in the manual to see how the GPS worked. I was delighted to see it was a function of the VF020 and that unlike the SL2, I did not always have to have it linked to a phone to get geolocation on my EXIF. Over the last couple of years, when travelling, for my digital camera, I have tended to take the lighter CL rather than my SL and have really missed having geolocation data. When you take over a thousand images over a 3 to 4 week trip, it can sometimes be a struggle to remember exactly which temple that photo was of. Now that I have a cellular Apple Watch 5, I often don't bother to carry a phone, so would not get geolocation on an SL2. 

Wilson

39 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Just before you posted Scott, I had checked in the manual to see how the GPS worked. I was delighted to see it was a function of the VF020 and that unlike the SL2, I did not always have to have it linked to a phone to get geolocation on my EXIF. Over the last couple of years, when travelling, for my digital camera, I have tended to take the lighter CL rather than my SL and have really missed having geolocation data. When you take over a thousand images over a 3 to 4 week trip, it can sometimes be a struggle to remember exactly which temple that photo was of. Now that I have a cellular Apple Watch 5, I often don't bother to carry a phone, so would not get geolocation on an SL2. 

Wilson

The Watch has GPS.

43 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Wilson

https://watchaware.com/watch-apps/355503746

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdlaing said:

The Watch has GPS.

Someone posted that he could not get his SL2 to talk to an Apple watch but as I only have an SL1, which has integral GPS, it is not a problem for me. 

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 9:10 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

There is no Bluetooth in an M10.  Turning Fotos OFF (until you need it) will certainly save power, as the wifi does drain the battery fast.  Turning Fotos ON and making a connection, even just to see if it works and maybe review a picture or two, will cost you some battery capacity (10% or more).  But I just checked my M10-R, which has been sitting still for a week or so, and its battery is at 95%, which may reflect the last few shots I took with it.

GPS on an M10 is only provided by a VF020, if you have one.  There may be some drain if the VF-GPS (a fairly weak unit) is on but the camera is switched off, since these things are always a bit alive inside.I see that I have my GPS set to OFF, even though there has been a VF020 on the camera recently and at the moment.  I'll set GPS ON, switch the camera off and see how it is doing tomorrow.

Good point. My bad. I was thinking of my SL2.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto