Leica 35mm Summilux FLE - pricing concern

ERA23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, 

I have the opportunity to purchase a Lux 35 FLE silver, it is currently on sale for 4200€ in like new condition and still with some warranty from Leica. I currently have the Cron 35 Asph (latest version) the seller is willing to offer me 2000€ for my lens. 

As many on the forum have had experience with both of these lenses can you tell me if the price is worth it or is it way overpriced? 

I look forward to your comments.

having owned both lenses together for a while, I can say that although they are different enough to justify owning both, I ended up keeping the FLE. 

tough to answer your price question because I don't live in the EU. If the difference in price between a new 35FLE and this 35FLE is not great then buy a new one with full warranty.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ERA23 said:

if the price is worth it or is it way overpriced? 

These are two separate issues. If it is worth it is a judgement only you can make. To help, how often will you be shooting at f1.4? 

In terms of price, I think it is top price, but they have offered you a good price for yours. If they will offer the same against a new one, if you are sure you want to spend that much for same focal length, I would go for a new one. If you don't particularly want a new silver one you will save a few €'s by having black.

What is list price for this lens? Is it hard to come by / more expensive in silver? Is the colour important to you?  Meister Camera sells the lens new for 4,777 euros. Personally I would spend the extra few hundred euros for a new lens with full warranty.

https://www.meister-camera.com/de/produkt/5563/leica-summilux-m-1435mm-asph

1 hour ago, Kwesi said:

having owned both lenses together for a while, I can say that although they are different enough to justify owning both, I ended up keeping the FLE. 

tough to answer your price question because I don't live in the EU. If the difference in price between a new 35FLE and this 35FLE is not great then buy a new one with full warranty.

What made you keep the FLE over the cron, size wise did you feel a difference? Image wise do you by any chance a couple of images that show the difference in character? 

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

These are two separate issues. If it is worth it is a judgement only you can make. To help, how often will you be shooting at f1.4? 

In terms of price, I think it is top price, but they have offered you a good price for yours. If they will offer the same against a new one, if you are sure you want to spend that much for same focal length, I would go for a new one. If you don't particularly want a new silver one you will save a few €'s by having black.

I indeed do want the silver one by all means as i have a safari it looks much nice, the price difference between the new and this one is enough for me not to consider a new one (at first the FLE wasn’t even on my radar, but went there for a 28 Summicron safari but they offered me too little for my 28 cron Asph v1 and the app erasure ring on that lens is ridiculous) 

I ended up keeping the FLE over the 35/2,v2 because the FLE draws like my 50/1.4 ASPH. Wide open it has the ability to draw in a very 3 dimensional way.

Here is the FLE on the Monochrom 246 Wide open:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 35/2, v2 is an incredibly sharp and precise lens - definitely designed in anticipation of high resolution sensors.

Here it is at 5.6 on the Monochrom 246

• Like 2

At 5.6, which is where i do most of my street photos, both lenses are very similar.

Here is the FLE at 5.6 - it is definitely handles flare better than the summicron.

• Like 1

It does have amazing micr contrast, and flaring has been an issue with my cron! About the 50 lux, i heard that it was APO and FLE (but they don’t market it that way) is it more bang for your buck? 
I am a true 50-35mm shooter and tend to do 90% of photography with those too, so any advice will help. I have been struggling for a couple of days and cant seem to make up my mind as there is a 50 lux for sale as well!

The 35 and 50 make a great pair. But i think the 35 is more bang for your buck since its adapts to so many shooting situations. 

Here is the 35 FLE in a tight spot on the M10-P

• Like 1

I have both 50lux ASPH AND 35 FLE and I use 50lux all the time. I haven’t sold 35FLE because it is beautiful wide open too but it is not my preferred focal length. If it is preferred fl of yours then you won’t be disappointed (for wide open performance). I do have few minor issues with 35FLE though. It’s bokeh can be a little harsh in special cases and I was never very happy with it as landscape lens at 5.6 (it has wavy focal plane and sun star is not as pretty). I may be little harsh since 50lux asph and 28cron asph are my preferred lenses.