What 35mm non-Leica do you also enjoy?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My very favorite shooter, of course, is my M2. But I am also very fond of the classic SLR pictured here next to the Leica. The Olympus is lighter than the M and sometimes it's to have its handy, if perfunctory, built-in light meter. Of course the OM-1 works perfectly well without the battery powered exposure indicator - and that all-mechanical. on-demand feature is attractive, too. Plus, like the Leica, the Olympus is a beautifully engineered jewel of a camera.

What about you? Do you have a non-Leica 35mm favorite?

Craig

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Good point, Ko.Fe.  I meant 135 film format cameras, otherwise known as 35 mm cameras -- though the cameras must be larger than 35 mm in certain dimensions, otherwise the 35 mm (or 135 format) film wouldn't fit inside. 🙂

Nikkormat FS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If it counts, given the different aspect ratio, but my only other 35mm film camera is the Fujifilm TX-1 (aka Hassy Xpan). I've tried SLRs and point and shoots, but always find myself coming back to rangefinders for the 35mm film format. 

On medium format, not a fan of rangefinders though for some reason...

So; I did not get it at all. It was about cameras :)

I really have no alternative for my M4-2. I have tried another RF cameras.

Barnack LTMs are better in size, but much worse in RF patch. So, it is substitute to M.  Family FED-2 is sweet.

SLRs, I have them just because they are cheap. Even if my F2 and Nikkormat are nicely made, they are not as easy to fiddle as M4-2. 

• Like 1

I have a fair few things kicking around but not many get much use. Only two film cameras actually have film in at the moment.

Some favourites from the herd are here.

A trio of '54 & '55 Kneb II / IIa shown with one of their ancestors;

On the right of the snap are some Japanese 'Barnacks'; a Nicca-III S, Nicca Original and a Leotax F (which is a SUPERB camera); behind the Sharkskin IIIc is an early Zorki 1;

...and finally my long-term - since 1977 - pal, a standard-prism Nikon F;

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, craigr said:

What about you? Do you have a non-Leica 35mm favorite?

Whilst I've owned a lot of 35mm film cameras my last remaining one is a black paint, 'user' Leica M4. That is now it. I have no others. Which surprises me (mind you I have far too many large format cameras). The cull has started though.

Thanks to Craig and Graham's above posts I've learned something completely new (to me) today!

88, erm, I mean '73' chaps!...

:lol:

Interesting to notice the popularity of the offerings from Rollei (especially!), Nikon, Olympus and Contax.

Good idea for a thread, Craig.

Philip.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pgk said:

... I have far too many large format cameras... The cull has started though.

Are we're talking more along the lines of Sanderson and Gandolfi rather than Sinar and Linhof, Paul?

Philip.

19 minutes ago, pgk said:

Whilst I've owned a lot of 35mm film cameras my last remaining one is a black paint, 'user' Leica M4. That is now it. I have no others. Which surprises me (mind you I have far too many large format cameras). The cull has started though.

Well, now, Paul -- if your "user" black paint M4 is really clapped out and shows a lot of brass you can always combine it with a "certificate of authenticity" certifying that it's a genuine, beat-to-hell Leica and sell the camera for three times what it's worth! 🙂 .

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 3