dark shadow on four corners, is it the lens hood?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, RoySmith said:

To see how much vignetting is being removed by the Software Correction that is automatically applied by programs like Adobe Lightroom, you could run the DNG  through DNG Cleaner  before importing them into Lightroom to remove the opcodes and see if the vignetting appears. 

Just checked out DNG cleaner, looks like a cool app to try.. most likely give it a try over the weekend.

23 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

The reason why I said about LR is due to the fact that there are quite some LR online courses and presets for sales. Creating a perception that there is high traction In using LR.

In fact, there is even more for Photoshop ;)  Presets for PS less People tend to create their own actions, profiles, etc. ON1 has extensive Video instructions.n A  presets library as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This does just look like the uncorrected DNG image - it’s similar to what I get if I open a Q2 file in Luminar or turn off the auto-correct option in Capture One (I don’t use LR anymore). That said, I haven’t taken pictures with and without the lens hood attached so can’t be 100% certain it isn’t a contributory factor, I just don’t get any corner shading when importing into Capture One with auto-correction turned on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’d say there is more than one thing going on. First, it appears that the embedded op codes are not being used in your previews or when you import DNG’s into Photos. That is weird—I can’t explain that. They should be used in all cases. There are a few software programs that will allow you to ignore the embedded lens profile, but they are the exception not the rule.

The lens on the Q2 has a lot of distortion. A lot. That is intentional. It allows the lens to be smaller and lighter and contain fewer lens elements. The op codes (embedded lens profile) then allow the software to stretch the image to correct for distortion, crop to rectilinear result, and interpolate back to the original 47 megapixels. That process stretches the extreme corners out of the final image, so the vignetting disappears. It is being cropped out in Lightroom. Minor vignetting in the rest of the image is also fixed by the lens profile, but the major vignetting you are seeing in the corners is simply discarded information in the final image.

The strange thing is that you are getting the vignetting at all. That is mechanical vignetting caused by the lens hood (or a filter) intruding into the image path. I am surprised it’s there. It shouldn’t be. Leica shouldn’t have cut it that close in the design even though the extreme corners are going to get discarded. I don’t see that sort of mechanical vignetting in my Lightroom previews. Not sure why your camera appears different. I would have guessed that the hood was not quite all the way on—that a slight rotation of the rectangular hood was allowing it to intrude. But, you have said the hood is all the way screwed on. I’d encourage you to double check. It needs to be not just tight, but screwed on until it hits a stop at the end of the threads. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/15/2020 at 4:12 AM, bcorton said:

If you need a post-processing app, you can also check out Affinity Photo, Irridient Developer, or ON1.  They are powerful, inexpensive, and non-subscription (I.e., buy once) options. 

Recommend Irident Developer: compatible with latest Mac OS and inexpensive. Free upgrades for several years. Not quite as flexible as LR, where  I am happy with LR5 which I also use and I dislike subscription options.