dark shadow on four corners, is it the lens hood?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure where when wrong.. import my images to Photo in Mac and saw shadows on four corners. Any idea? please...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

weird thing is if I see the same photo in Leica Foto the shadows disappears. or rather, it initially appears with the shadows and in a split second it will refresh without the shadows.

Edited by Ken Chuang

Short answer. Lens correction is being applied in Leica Fotos to eliminate or correct the vignetting of the 28mm lens which actually captures a bit more than a 28mm would.  Most post processing software will also apply the correction needed.  Your Mac software probably has the correct either turned off or it isn't using the lens data for some reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

Not sure where when wrong.. import my images to Photo in Mac and saw shadows on four corners. Any idea? please...

Maybe you've done it already, but take a shot with the lens hood removed.....also, is there a filter mounted on the lens? If so then remove that too and test again. My 28mm lenses, ( 2x Leica and one VC ), do not vignette like this with or without 6 bit correction applied.

12 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

weird thing is if I see the same photo in Leica Foto the shadows disappears. or rather, it initially appears with the shadows and in a split second it will refresh without the shadows.

This is what leads me to think it is camera/lens correction because I've had similar experience when opening a DNG in my old version of Lightroom.  The vignetting would appear initially as the image was loading.  So, being curious about it, I searched the net.  The camera/lens data comes from the embedded EXIF and apparently makes the correction after the image data loads. 🤔  But then, what do I know... I'm only echoing something I read online.🤪

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

To see how much vignetting is being removed by the Software Correction that is automatically applied by programs like Adobe Lightroom, you could run the DNG  through DNG Cleaner  before importing them into Lightroom to remove the opcodes and see if the vignetting appears. 

• Like 1

Clearly lens corrections not or partly applied. This is a hybrid lens design and both optical and digital corrections are needed to obtain optimal results. Ask Apple support.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Your images and very expensive camera deserve a better post processing program than Apple Photos. I recommend you purchase or subscribe to a program such as Adobe Lightroom

If you need a post-processing app, you can also check out Affinity Photo, Irridient Developer, or ON1.  They are powerful, inexpensive, and non-subscription (I.e., buy once) options. 

• Like 1

Likely your Mac software did not apply the built-in DNG profile.  Looking at the bottom of the first image, you can see distortion on the deck planks.  This kind of lens distortion is corrected  by camera (along with dark corners) when taking JPG images.

Lightroom automatically applies the Leica profile.  I actually prefer the DNG imported without the profile applied, but LR does not allow you to opt out.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 11:55 AM, vedivv said:

Likely your Mac software did not apply the built-in DNG profile.  Looking at the bottom of the first image, you can see distortion on the deck planks.  This kind of lens distortion is corrected  by camera (along with dark corners) when taking JPG images.

Lightroom automatically applies the Leica profile.  I actually prefer the DNG imported without the profile applied, but LR does not allow you to opt out.

You are right... I have LR and it does not show the vignetting and distortion as well. BTW, I failed to mention that it is in DNG, not JPG. when I import the DNG from the Q2 to Foto on iPad, it automatically stores a copy in the Photo app.

All of you are right..

1. It is definitely the lens hood, I tried taking one without. I did screw it in tightly.

2. It auto corrects in JPG and in DNG format it auto corrects in the related App and LR, but not iOS' Photo app.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:44 PM, Leica Guy said:

Your images and very expensive camera deserve a better post processing program than Apple Photos. I recommend you purchase or subscribe to a program such as Adobe Lightroom

Actually I have the Adobe photo suite CC and illustrator CC on yearly plan because of my job as an industrial designer, LR is included. I realised that most photographer uses LR instead of PS. 

On 6/17/2020 at 7:49 AM, Ken Chuang said:

You are right... I have LR and it does not show the vignetting and distortion as well. BTW, I failed to mention that it is in DNG, not JPG. when I import the DNG from the Q2 to Foto on iPad, it automatically stores a copy in the Photo app.

All of you are right..

1. It is definitely the lens hood, I tried taking one without. I did screw it in tightly.

2. It auto corrects in JPG and in DNG format it auto corrects in the related App and LR, but not iOS' Photo app.

Are you saying that this only occurs with the lens hood attached?  I can't believe that the lens hood would intrude into the frame unless fitted on top of more than one filter.  Also the vignetting is not just a slight shading in the extreme corners but seems to totally block a portion of the frame corners!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, Ken Chuang said:

Actually I have the Adobe photo suite CC and illustrator CC on yearly plan because of my job as an industrial designer, LR is included. I realised that most photographer uses LR instead of PS. 

I don't;  I used most main-stream programs, still do occasionally, but I always come back to Photoshop. The only reason I use LR from time to time is because it syncs nicely with the mobile version on my phone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mikegml said:

Are you saying that this only occurs with the lens hood attached?  I can't believe that the lens hood would intrude into the frame unless fitted on top of more than one filter.  Also the vignetting is not just a slight shading in the extreme corners but seems to totally block a portion of the frame corners!

Actually for the Q2, the lens hood is independent from the filter as it screws onto the outer thread while filters screw onto the inner thread. I think the reason given by most seems logical. Also, sorry for my ignorance on what’s vignetting.

17 hours ago, jaapv said:

I don't;  I used most main-stream programs, still do occasionally, but I always come back to Photoshop. The only reason I use LR from time to time is because it syncs nicely with the mobile version on my phone.

The reason why I said about LR is due to the fact that there are quite some LR online courses and presets for sales. Creating a perception that there is high traction In using LR.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, nicci78 said:

Lens corrections seem to be disabled. 
What version of macOS are you using ? 

I am using iPadOS 13.5.1 and Catalina 10.15.5, 

I have attached again how it looks on the iPadOS.

1. the photo from LR 

2. and 3. Preview from LR and Photo app. Both you can see the shadows on the corner. Thus don’t think it is OS issue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!