S3 DOES Support UHS-II

davidmknoble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, rather than guess and read the manual and hope all the details were there, I actually asked Leica about the UHS-II cards in the Leica S3. Here is the response I got, which makes sense based on the continued use of the Maestro II chip.  I also note that once again, the speed increase is not necessary given the uses of the camera.

The S3 is compatible with UHS-II cards but is optimized for UHS-I cards. So, while you can use UHS-II cards in the S3 there is no appreciable performance for still images. For video UHS-I cards are recommended.

So, the S3 does support the card, but is not optimized for the increase in speed the card provides.  So, using the SD card interchangeably with other Leica cameras is fine.  However, if you are going to shoot video, the UHS-I card is recommended.  Everyone I know that shoots any serious video with the SL or the S, uses an external device to capture video and sound through the camera, which provides a better video file anyway.

This confirms what I heard from Ray Olson -- there's no native UHS-II support.  As I mentioned in the original thread, the UHS-II standard is backward-compatible with UHS-I, so not supporting UHS-II could only mean one thing, not supporting it natively, i.e. not able to support high speed.  It augurs the sad conclusion that the hardware was not overhauled beyond the sensor, unless we hear about anything else being updated.

Edited by setuporg

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

.  It augurs the sad conclusion that the hardware was not overhauled beyond the sensor, unless we hear about anything else being updated.

The S3 updated the I/O ports to USB-C which is much faster than the older bus.  In addition, with the increase in pixels to process, the max speed is only marginally slower, so the basic computer boards got an update.  The battery is the same and the size of the camera is the same - which is what professionals would expect.  

This means the focus screens, the second battery grip, the 90 degree focusing aid - all fit the S3.  One thing I dislike about the SL2 is the loss of GPS and the extra battery grip is not compatible, nor is the remote wired shutter release.  So, I have to sell the entire SL camera setup except the battery and buy every thing new if I want the SL2.

I’m not sure about the firmware changes, and it may look the same as the S007 5.0 firmware with the same functionality - but if so, I would say that is good - easy to use from one to the next.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

This confirms what I heard from Ray Olson -- there's no native UHS-II support.  As I mentioned in the original thread,

@setuporg my only issue with your post was the title.  Had you said no native support, that would be accurate, but your title is misleading.  The title sounds like someone with UHS-II cards has to go out and purchase old cards to work with the S3, and that is not the case. 

The question was a good question, which is why I reached out to Leica and posted their answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1