Summilux 28mm on Leica M9 not supported?

fiftyasa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! I cannot select the Summilux 28mm as lens in my M9. Have also manually coded a 7artisans 28mm 1.4 as Summilux 28 but it is not recognised ("uncoded"). I had to code it as 28mm f2 (and then it is recognised as such). I have installed the latest firmware on the M9. Is the lens really not supported??

Of course you cannot. Lenses that exist only in coded versions (i.e. all lenses introduced since 2006) will not appear in the manual selection list. They are supported through automatic recognition. Errors in recognizing hand-coded lenses are common.

58 minutes ago, fiftyasa said:

Thanks for the answer. I did several attempts to manually code for the summilux and the code is very simple (1 black mark), so I would exclude an error from my side. Anyone holding a summilux 28mm and an M9 who can confirm the automatic recognition works?

Thanks!

Actually Summilux 28mm 6-bit coding consists of 4 black and 2 white dots.

2 minutes ago, fiftyasa said:

Oh great. Can you kindly confirm it is 110110 ? (1 = black) I saw a picture on eBay with this code. But... if I code it on my lens, the M9 reads Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 ASPH... This is driving me a bit crazy... The code for the Elmarit 28mm ASPH is 011100 and if I code this one, the M9 reads again Elmarit 28mm ASPH... exactly the same as with 110110, which is supposed to be the Summilux... arrrrgh,....

I don't think the six bit system was designed to be easy to self code third party lenses. When you compare the cost of the two lens you are discussing, I am not sure the adjustments the code triggers for the Summilux will suite your lens. You are probably best sorting it all out in post processing. Enjoy your lens.

7 minutes ago, pedaes said:

I don't think the six bit system was designed to be easy to self code third party lenses. When you compare the cost of the two lens you are discussing, I am not sure the adjustments the code triggers for the Summilux will suite your lens. You are probably best sorting it all out in post processing. Enjoy your lens.

You are probably right. I'll do some tests tomorrow to see the effect, but for other lens I own it works pretty good. Anyway, as posted above, the M9 recognises the Summilux 28mm code.

Edited by fiftyasa

14 hours ago, pedaes said:

I repeated the test. The Summilux 28mm is indeed the best profile to apply on this lens. Please see my results here: https://fiftyasa.wordpress.com/2018/12/22/a-review-of-the-7artisans-28mm-f1-4-asph/

Thanks again for the support.

Edited by fiftyasa

Sorry for jumping in. I've got two questions regarding the lens.

@fiftyasa: Was there a focus-tab in your box? Does your mount have the holes for the 6bit coding (like on the 50/1.1)?

Mine came with neither and it looks like that I'm too dumb to calibrate the lens correctly... ;)

TIA

Greetings
Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Sample shot (Leica M9)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2