Summilux 28mm on Leica M9 not supported?

fiftyasa

9 hours ago, Naampje said:

[...] positioning the dots was more what I meant to ask.

My 7artisans 35/2 was sold with drilled pits already, which doesn't seem the case for the 28/1.4 i have no experience with. I don't know if the 28/1.4's flange has a recessed part for DIY coding either. It is not necessary per se but the dots may last longer this way. For positioning the dots, i use a Match Technical coding kit personally but it is now discontinued. Doesn't work with all lenses but worth a try if you can find one. Otherwise a DIY template can be found on the web together with instructions (links below). I have no experience with it though. 
http://www.bophoto.com/M8/2009-01-23-M-codeing.jpg
http://bophoto.typepad.com/bophoto/2009/01/m8-coder-simple-manual-handcoding-of-m-lenses.html

3 hours ago, lct said:

My 7artisans 35/2 was sold with drilled pits already, which doesn't seem the case for the 28/1.4 i have no experience with. I don't know if the 28/1.4's flange has a recessed part for DIY coding either. It is not necessary per se but the dots may last longer this way. For positioning the dots, i use a Match Technical coding kit personally but it is now discontinued. Doesn't work with all lenses but worth a try if you can find one. Otherwise a DIY template can be found on the web together with instructions (links below). I have no experience with it though. 
http://www.bophoto.com/M8/2009-01-23-M-codeing.jpg
http://bophoto.typepad.com/bophoto/2009/01/m8-coder-simple-manual-handcoding-of-m-lenses.html

The 7artisans 28mm f1.4 at this juncture, does not have any coding pits nor a recessed part for the DIY coding not to rub off.  Why no pits is a mystery but even more so, why no receesed part/ring surrounding the lens mount.  Either one would have been helpful and with their having such with their 35mm f2, I don't see why this changed.  The self calibration of front/back focusing with this lens is both easy and a wonderful idea nd wish all rangefinder lenses would incorporate this feature.  The lens deserves the accolades it has received, especially at its price point. 

Dave (D&A)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DandA said:

The 7artisans 28mm f1.4 at this juncture, does not have any coding pits nor a recessed part for the DIY coding not to rub off.  Why no pits is a mystery but even more so, why no receesed part/ring surrounding the lens mount.  Either one would have been helpful and with their having such with their 35mm f2, I don't see why this changed.  The self calibration of front/back focusing with this lens is both easy and a wonderful idea nd wish all rangefinder lenses would incorporate this feature.  The lens deserves the accolades it has received, especially at its price point. 

Dave (D&A)

No coding pits as there is no Leica lens to match it to. It is different than the Leica 28mm corrections. Or so I’ve been told.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, so I guess some modern M lenses need correction, what could those be for for instance the 28 Summilux? Because what Fiftyasa showed was quite impressive the before and after vignetting effect of coding it or not. Are there downsides to this? Is it clear what each profile for these lenses does exactly?

And how would you, perhaps Fiftyasa, compare this to a pre ASPH 28 Elmarit? Or anybody else have any comparisment?

I basically only see two downsides to this lens, size/ weight, and fully open in very light conditions, colour glowing a bit towards chromatic aberation? But this is a amateurs guess.

Besides this, I'm very impressed. This is one of the sharpest examples fully open.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Naampje
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's a crop of the eyes, quite sharp I think.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jdlaing said:

No coding pits as there is no Leica lens to match it to. It is different than the Leica 28mm corrections. Or so I’ve been told.

Looks like Leica 28/1.4 is the best correction according to the OP's review. Too bad coding pits have not been drilled the same way as on the 7a 35/2. 

48 minutes ago, lct said:

Looks like Leica 28/1.4 is the best correction according to the OP's review. Too bad coding pits have not been drilled the same way as on the 7a 35/2. 

If it’s off even a little I’d rather correct in post processing.