Is there anything wrong with my lens?

byhoskyy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I hope you are keeping safe in these times. I have recently purchased a Leica M3 and a Summicron 50mm f2 (Rigid) which had issues with lots of scratches/fungus/dust and it was promptly returned. Then, I purchased another Summicron 50mm f2 (DR) from Ebay and this is the condition it is in: https://imgur.com/a/W7mzSgt

Am I exaggerating in saying that this lens also has issues with fungus/haze which could affect my images? Or is it just dust? I paid far more for this (800) just because it was sold as "great condition". 

Many thanks to all! 

Ouch... I would return the lens too but i like buying on e**y so i deal mainly with professional sellers having a reputation to uphold. Bit more expensive but i got only one problem in 15+ years and the problem was solved in a couple of days. FWIW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lct said:

Ouch... I would return the lens too but i like buying on e**y so i deal mainly with professional sellers having a reputation to uphold. Bit more expensive but i got only one problem in 15+ years and the problem was solved in a couple of days. FWIW.

It's a shame because this is my ever first Leica purchase and its turning into such a nightmare. I will message the seller advising that I will be returning the lens. Is there anyone in particular you'd recommend? Or any 50mm lenses to go with my new M3? 

Just now, earleygallery said:

I always advise 'newbies' to buy from one of the reputable dealers. Yes you will pay a bit more but you will also avoid these kinds of problems.

Plenty of 50mm lenses for you to choose from, either vintage to match the age of the camera or newer lenses from Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica.

Lesson learnt for sure! In terms of lens I am actually pretty sure I would want the older Summicrons (Rigid or DR). I was looking at this one https://www.jogeier.com/leitz-leica-m-summicron-2-50mm-chrome-1837084.html. Is he a reputable seller? 

2 hours ago, byhoskyy said:

Hi all,

I hope you are keeping safe in these times. I have recently purchased a Leica M3 and a Summicron 50mm f2 (Rigid) which had issues with lots of scratches/fungus/dust and it was promptly returned. Then, I purchased another Summicron 50mm f2 (DR) from Ebay and this is the condition it is in: https://imgur.com/a/W7mzSgt

Am I exaggerating in saying that this lens also has issues with fungus/haze which could affect my images? Or is it just dust? I paid far more for this (800) just because it was sold as "great condition". 

Many thanks to all! 

It seems to have fungus. Depends what you paid for it and how it was described. If what you received doesn't match the description, return it. Fungus might not create many issues now (maybe a bit of loss of contrast when shooting against the sun), but if left untreated it will grow. In any case it has to be cleaned. So if you paid for a clean lens, return it. eBay almost always sides with the buyer, let alone when you have a legitimate issue. You don't risk much when buying from ebay, other than wasted time with returns etc.

37 minutes ago, giannis said:

It seems to have fungus. Depends what you paid for it and how it was described. If what you received doesn't match the description, return it. Fungus might not create many issues now (maybe a bit of loss of contrast when shooting against the sun), but if left untreated it will grow. In any case it has to be cleaned. So if you paid for a clean lens, return it. eBay almost always sides with the buyer, let alone when you have a legitimate issue. You don't risk much when buying from ebay, other than wasted time with returns etc.

Unfortunately I paid £800 (as I was under the impression it would have "clean optics with no fungus, dust or haze"). I have requested a return and I'm sure I wont have issues. 

2 hours ago, byhoskyy said:

Lesson learnt for sure! In terms of lens I am actually pretty sure I would want the older Summicrons (Rigid or DR). I was looking at this one https://www.jogeier.com/leitz-leica-m-summicron-2-50mm-chrome-1837084.html. Is he a reputable seller? 

Jo is a friend of mine and is involved with the Wetzlar Auctions with Lars Netopil. I can vouch for him 100%!

6 hours ago, byhoskyy said:

It's a shame because this is my ever first Leica purchase and its turning into such a nightmare. I will message the seller advising that I will be returning the lens. Is there anyone in particular you'd recommend? Or any 50mm lenses to go with my new M3? 

Red Dot Cameras are good, when they reopen after lockdown.

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb giannis:

Fungus might not create many issues now (maybe a bit of loss of contrast when shooting against the sun), but if left untreated it will grow.

That is correct,
but it will spread also to other lenses nearby.
I would absolutely return the lens and clean deeply the places where you stored it!

Chris

58 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

That is correct,
but it will spread also to other lenses nearby.
I would absolutely return the lens and clean deeply the places where you stored it!

Chris

Not quite. Spores are in the air so you’re exposing your lenses to fungus whenever you use them. 

It’s storing them in dark and humid conditions which causes the problems.

If you have a lens with fungus leave it in sunlight (not on the camera) for some time to kill the fungus. 

Professional cleaning may help restore the lens but often the fungus will have etched the glass. Unless it’s really bad it’s unlikely to affect how the lens works.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, byhoskyy said:

Good stuff. I've sent him an email to further enquire about the lens.

The condition looks fine but I would also enquire about the smoothness of the focussing action and aperture ring.  Sometimes the grease hardens over the years causing jerky or heavy focussing , which would need a CLA to put right.

Since Bill Rosauer has vouched for Jo there should be little risk.

Pete.

7 minutes ago, farnz said:

The condition looks fine but I would also enquire about the smoothness of the focussing action and aperture ring.  Sometimes the grease hardens over the years causing jerky or heavy focussing , which would need a CLA to put right.

Since Bill Rosauer has vouched for Jo there should be little risk.

Pete.

Cheers for that! I will do.