Macbook 16 GB or 32 GB?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, hope you are safe from COVID. 

I'm going to upgrade my MacBook Pro to the 2019 model. I use my Macbook primarily for editing photos (no video editing). I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Google editing primarily.

Is 16GB enough? Or, would I notice a big different if I get the 32GB? I'm not concerned by the cost difference. Regardless I will get 1TB or more, I9 Processor and the 5500 graphics card.

Thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, andybarton said:

The more RAM the better. 

Thanks for the quick response. Can you elaborate for me?

Is there any downside? If that’s the case, should I just go 64GB? Is there a point of diminishing returns?

For editing and printing, I use a 2010 desktop Mac Pro, upgraded with 64GB, and a 24” NEC screen that can be properly color calibrated. There are many threads on this and related topics in the Digital Post Processing section of the forum. 

Here’s one of many...

And another...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb dkmoore:

... Is there any downside? ...

MacBooks get hot rather quickly when an external monitor is connected.
The weak point does not seem to be the size of the working memory but the graphics card installed in all of them.

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

Thanks for the quick response. Can you elaborate for me?

Is there any downside? If that’s the case, should I just go 64GB? Is there a point of diminishing returns?

The more RAM you have, the better. Programs work much faster with more RAM, especially things like Photoshop.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

standard macOS will consume about 5-6GB RAM and then LR or CO will consume another 7-10GB deeding what you do. So, at least 16GB will be used during normal time. That's why I'd suggest 32GB as minimum.

If you get less, what will happen is, to empty RAM, OS will keep creating swap files which will be read/written on SSD. Although SSD's are really fast, they are not as fast as RAM so there will be a bottleneck. The other option would be, you'll keep closing all the other apps while you are working with a particular one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

I'd get 64; 32 might be fine now, but lacking in the future.

How easy is it to upgrade memory on the Macbook?  That would guide my choice.  I've an iMac and upgrading memory is about a 10 minute job.  Right now I know that 32 GB is adequate for my use which includes various software development tasks as well as running Capture One and sometimes Affinity Photo.  Here's a graph of my memory use for the past 30 days.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As can be seen I don't quite hit full memory use.  I do use more than 16 GB -- the 50% line.   The gray portion of the bars is "inactive" memory.  It would not impose much of a hardship if that exceeded 100%.   When I exceed 100% on a regular basis I'll add more memory. 

Edited by marchyman

11 minutes ago, marchyman said:

How easy is it to upgrade memory on the Macbook?  That would guide my choice.  I've an iMac and upgrading memory is about a 10 minute job.  Right now I know that 32 GB is adequate for my use which includes various software development tasks as well as running Capture One and sometimes Affinity Photo.  Here's a graph of my memory use for the past 30 days.

As can be seen I don't quite hit full memory use.  I do use more than 16 GB -- the 50% line.   The gray portion of the bars is "inactive" memory.  It would not impose much of a hardship if that exceeded 100%.   When I exceed 100% on a regular basis I'll add more memory. 

Newer MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models have RAM soldered in place; not user upgradeable. iMacs are different.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marchyman said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This graph makes me think that I should go with the 64GB version. I don't want to ever be that close to maxing out now because that only means that I WILL max it out down the road.

64 GB it is. I'll get the upgraded 8GB 5500 graphic card, 2 TB (most of my workflow is cloud based) and 16" screen.

• Like 1

I have 64G in mine and never see the memory taxed. I currently using 31-32GB with Mail, Safari (many tabs), News, Notes, Reminders, TV (not currently playing), Messages, Books, Photos, Raw Power, Luminar, Pixelmator Pro and Affinity Photo all running. I was using around 20GB prior to starting all the photos apps. So, I would go with 32GB at a minimum. I opted for 64GB to help future proof although more and more photo apps are moving to using the GPU. Which brings me to my main point. 

The resource that is always stressed on my machine is the GPU memory. Generally 50-75% under normal usage and 100% when any photo app is running. I went with the best option (5500M 8GB). I would have done 16GB if it was an option. I figure I can add an eGPU if I ever need it.

One thing to be aware of is that this machine can get really hot when the fans kick up. I keep mine elevated since it was warping the plexiglass cover on my desk.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 10:57 AM, mnutzer said:

MacBooks get hot rather quickly when an external monitor is connected.
The weak point does not seem to be the size of the working memory but the graphics card installed in all of them.

Interesting. Maybe it varies, because I run a big monitor (right now in fact) off the MacBook Pro and everything stays very cool...

vor 8 Minuten schrieb bags27:

Interesting. Maybe it varies, because I run a big monitor (right now in fact) off the MacBook Pro and everything stays very cool...

Just now I look parallel TV on an adapted 32'-monitor while writing this on my MacBook Air 13' and smcFanControl shows 60°C.
When working with Photoshop it will reach easily 70° - 80°C.

29 minutes ago, mnutzer said:

Just now I look parallel TV on an adapted 32'-monitor while writing this on my MacBook Air 13' and smcFanControl shows 60°C.

Wow. I run something similar with no added heat. I wonder why..... Maybe because I close most of my other programs when running PS?

If the MacBook Pro is going to be your only computer, then go for more. 32 RAM and 1 TB SSD memory would be nice. But if the MacBook is used in addition to a reasonably good desktop, then you should be able to get by with less. As good as the display on the new 16 inch MBP is, a color calibrated desktop is better for editing and processing photos.

My 16 inch MBP is a joy to use and it is only 16/500. I can run LR Classic and Photoshop at the same time without issue. But I keep my photo files on a separate hard drive to leave plenty of SSD hard drive memory free. Photoshop uses the free space as a scratch disk which acts like additional RAM. Additionally, since LightRoom only generates a set of instructions, the need for massive amounts of RAM is minimized. Running LightRoom alone hardly taxes the MBP. 

I tend to use the MBP for an initial edit of LR files when on the road, and do the fine tuning later on the desktop. The photo files travel on the portable drive(s) and the SD cards

On 4/5/2020 at 10:11 PM, mnutzer said:

MBA and MBP are 2 different machines, with different class of CPUs, GPUs and cooling. So I’m not surprised your machine gets hot