Macbook 16 GB or 32 GB?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also decided between 16 and 32 GB for the 2019 MacBook model. I decided to pick the 32 GB version. Here's my reasoning.

When using only Capture One 16GB is fine. (Source: After editing 100 photos in C1 the activity monitor shows a use of 4.5 GB RAM) 
When also editing photos in Affinity Photo, Photoshop, Photomatix or the like the additional headroom of 32GB is nice but also nowadays not frequently used. I'd say for the next few years 32 GB will be fine. I guess 64 GB would be used for 4K video contents or the like.

5 hours ago, Jürgen said:

For October 2020 their is an update for the MacBook Pro 16"" announced - may be with new ARM CPU's. Don't buy too early!

Thanks for waiting until after I posted what I bought. lol

Anyway, doesn't matter. Apple upgrades every year anyway. I'm pretty satisfied with the machine I got. A significant improvement over the early 2017 model I had. 

vor 16 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

Thanks for waiting until after I posted what I bought. lol

Anyway, doesn't matter. Apple upgrades every year anyway. I'm pretty satisfied with the machine I got. A significant improvement over the early 2017 model I had. 

I am sorry for that 😔

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, marchyman said:

As can be seen I don't quite hit full memory use

That’s not really how modern O/S’s work.

They will never, for efficiency purposes, max out your RAM.

Installing more RAM will allow the O/S to load and retain more data in RAM, therefore improving both speed efficiency. You won’t notice this until you add more RAM.  You’ll notice your RAM usage will INCREASE simply by adding more RAM.

As others have said, since it’s soldered in the more the better.  Minimum 32GB, ideally 64...

On 4/22/2020 at 7:15 PM, dkmoore said:

For anyone that may be itnerested I ended up getting the following:

16"
64 GB
8GB GPU
2TB memory 

The keyboard alone may be worth the upgrade.

I have this same configuration.  It is a beast.  Don’t care about any future upgrades in autumn.  This machine is like a rocket launch.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 2:15 AM, dkmoore said:

For anyone that may be itnerested I ended up getting the following:

16"
64 GB
8GB GPU
2TB memory 

The keyboard alone may be worth the upgrade.

I think these configurations are just fine. I have the same and there no reasons to complain of now.

15 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

That’s not really how modern O/S’s work.

Yes, the OS will use memory if it is available.  As I type this my system is "using" 9 GB of inactive memory, meaning the memory will show as in-use, but is only being kept around because nothing else needs the ram right now.   I have 7 GB of completely unused (free)  memory.    Guess I haven't pushed my machine hard this morning.  Because the system keeps inactive memory around I fully expect memory use to inch up toward the max mark as the day goes on even though actual need is less.

That said, if your memory pressure is such that you start swapping you NEED more memory.   I'd probably start adding more memory (if possible) to any system that starts recording Pageouts.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Run Clean my Mac to get rid of the junk.

It doesn't do this for me already? I checked "Clean my Mac" out and its $34 a year so not bad if it works. Is the program made by Macpaw? I want to make sure I am looking at the right thing.