Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0 was just published.

» Official Leica Download Page here

Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0 Improvements:

• AF field size selectable
    Choose between three AF field sizes (small, medium, large) by a long tap on the camera display while touch AF is activated.
  • DNG writing speed improved
    The DNG and DNG+JPEG writing speed is now improved by the factor 2x.
  • Deleting user profiles
    The user now can delete individual/single user profiles.
  • Touch AF + Release
    Touch AF + Release is now implemented and works in all AF modes.
  • Status screen for photo and video implemented
    Complete overview of the preferred settings, easy access and operation by touch. The video mode can be deactivated or activated via the status screen.
  • Exposure parameters for video
    Extended opportunities for capturing video files including the ability to switch between PASM by aperture- and shutter speed dial.
  • Auto ISO behavior
    The auto-ISO behavior was changed and the priority is now set to "correct exposure".
  • Manual Focus behavior
    In MF mode the preselected AF frame will appear and can be used to start the magnification, the frame can be moved by using the cursor keys.
    In AF-Multi: the magnification will start from the center and the last position is saved until the camera is switched off
  • Face Detection behavior
    If the face detection is not successful, the AF-Mode now switches to AF field instead of AF multi field.
  • Leica FOTOS transfer speed
    Downloading photos from the Leica Q2 to Leica FOTOS is now up to 50% faster.
    (The Leica Q2 needs to be paired again with Leica FOTOS after this firmware update)
  • Variable EVF frame rate
    A menu was added to choose between 60fps or 120 fps. For fast moving subjects set 120 fps for a more fluid display of movement (with lower resolution) or choose 60 fps for full resolution.
  • AF-L / AE - added to Zoom button
    The AF and AE lock function allows you to lock your focus or exposure settings separately as you recompose your shot.
  • Improvement of Tracking AF
    Precision and overall performance of Tracking AF is improved.
  • Touch in EVF
    Touch functionality during EVF mode is now available.

Firmware update process

1. Copy the firmware file onto a SD Memory Card in its top level folder.
  2. Make sure to turn off the power switch on the camera.
  3. Insert the fully charged battery to the body. If the battery is not fully charged, the update process screen will not appear.
  4. Insert the SD Memory Card into the camera.
  5. Choose MENU / Main Menu / Camera Information / Firmware
  6. Press “Start Update” and confirm the start process.
  7. The camera will guide you through the backup process of your personal settings.
  8. Wait until this process is finished.
  9. Restart your camera; do not remove the SD card.
  10. Confirm the upload of your personal settings from the SD card.

CAUTION:
Please do not turn off your camera, or do not remove the SD Memory Card, do not remove the lens while updating your camera's firmware.

DOING SO CAN CAUSE A SERIOUS DAMAGE TO YOUR CAMERA!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, that’s all nice BUT the two things that should / could have been addressed to make the whole experience more pleasurable were not addressed:

1. AEL - should have the option to use it as a toggle instead of having to press it all the time. That’s how it works on most cameras anyway and for a camera that is not exactly the easiest or most ergonomic in terms of actual handling, it would make a hell of a difference.

2. Digital cropping - instead of having the lines to show the frame limits for 35, 50 and especially 75, the image should be magnified to fill the frame. Again, that is how it works on most cameras and for a reason. When you crop to the max, you have almost no clue as to what you actually shoot. It is MUCH easier to compose without having to see the lines.

Just my 2cents...

• Like 4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just a word to the wise from Leica's update instructions: Whatever you do, don't remove the lens!

Edited by danielmfrank
  • Like 3
  • Haha 14

12 minutes ago, danielmfrank said:

Just a word to the wise from Leica's update instructions: Whatever you do, don't remove the lens!

<s> And boy, did I try to prize that damn lens off my Q2... but, no it would not budge. What is wrong with Leica? </s>

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Thanks LUF Admin!

Actually downloading and being nervous as i leave in one hour to Panama.

If update works and it don't brick the camera i will post some photos from this upcoming road trip

Chris

Did you update?  I'm waiting for my spare battery to charge to 100% (and *painfully* slow it is too!)

They did add my #1 wished-for feature, from the SL2. I'm thrilled about this! And they now have a AF-L toggle option for the crop button. Not great, but better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acg69 said:

2. Digital cropping - instead of having the lines to show the frame limits for 35, 50 and especially 75, the image should be magnified to fill the frame. Again, that is how it works on most cameras and for a reason. When you crop to the max, you have almost no clue as to what you actually shoot. It is MUCH easier to compose without having to see the lines.

Just my 2cents...

It's a Leica thing. Leica M users are familiar with and praise the advantages of seeing the part of the scene that is outside the frame lines. As a never-M user, it is fine with me, although the frame for 75mm is pretty damn small--not that I ever expect to use it.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, danielmfrank said:

They did add my #1 wished-for feature, from the SL2. I'm thrilled about this! And they now have a AF-L toggle option for the crop button. Not great, but better.

What is AF-L, and how does one toggle it?

Just now, robgo2 said:

Set the button on the back (the frameline button) to function for focus and use it instead of the shutter release. It will be in the menu somewhere. This was how I used my Q exclusively and sorely miss it on the Q2

2 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Touch in EVF
Touch functionality during EVF mode is now available.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I was hoping that it meant I could double tap the back screen in EVF mode to reset the focus point back to center, but that still doesn’t appear to work.

3 minutes ago, danielmfrank said:

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I was hoping that it meant I could double tap the back screen in EVF mode to reset the focus point back to center, but that still doesn’t appear to work.

I assume this means that you'll be able to use Touch AF to change the focus point even when you have your eye up to the EVF.

14 minutes ago, robgo2 said:

Auto-focus lock. Normally focus is locked by a half press of the shutter button, along with exposure. If you set the crop button to AF-L, pressing it will lock focus until either:

* You press it a second time (i.e, toggle it),

or

* You take a picture.

The focus crosshair or box will turn green when focus is locked, and will stay green until it is unlocked.

14 minutes ago, gotium said:

Set the button on the back (the frameline button) to function for focus and use it instead of the shutter release. It will be in the menu somewhere. This was how I used my Q exclusively and sorely miss it on the Q2. 

Is AF-L autofocus lock?  That could be very useful.