Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I didn't get my full wish list on this firmware update, but it came much sooner than I expected and I am happy with the changes.

I am curious about the AF box size.  I read that there is now a way to adjust the focus box size but I cannot find it.  I also downloaded the new (unchanged?) pdf manual and do not see where to make this adjustment.

thanks,

Make sure your in zone focus mode and not multi or spot. Make sure touch focus is on. Then do a long TAP on the evf then you can change it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

I read that there is now a way to adjust the focus box size but I cannot find it. 

According to the notes accompanying the firmware update:

AF field size selectable
Choose between three AF field sizes (small, medium, large) by a long tap on the camera display while touch AF is activated.

Edit: Sorry, just saw someone else previously replied along the same lines.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen_C
Addition acknowleding previous post

1 hour ago, Push said:

Wow, That should make it interesting if someone buys a Q2 from now and and trys to work it out. Comming from Olypmus cameras they released firmware updates and manuals on the same day.

They should update them. But never did.

Very sad. People have to manage between old manual and firmware update notes 

But don’t worry, nobody ever RTFM 😜

Edited by nicci78

26 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

They should update them. But never did.

Very sad. People have to manage between old manual and firmware update notes 

But don’t worry, nobody ever RTFM 😜

I do!

And I do think that give the extensive changes, a manual update is in order, at least for the online PDF version.

12 hours ago, danielmfrank said:

I just tested it. Assigning focus lock to the crop button doesn't change the normal function of the shutter button. As long as you don't press the crop button, a half-press of the shutter button locks focus and exposure. However, once you press the crop button, focus is locked, and a half press of the shutter button only locks exposure. If you press the crop button again, it unlocks focus. After you take the photo, everything goes back to the shutter button as before.

Ideally I'd love to see a button that could trigger autofocus in manual focus mode, then have focus stay in that place through multiple shots. That feature is on the SL and the SL2. But my guess is that Leica thinks it's philosophically incompatible with the design of the focus ring. I'm not sure I agree.

Daniel - thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I totally agree that back-button focus should retain focus (after pushing and releasing the assigned button) for multiple shots. This is how most modern cameras incorporate back-button focus. I am frankly perplexed and disappointed that the AFL button on the Q2 may not work just like it does on the Q. I have a Q and was delaying the acquisition of a Q2 until a firmware update fixed the back-button focus issue. I am a street/documentary/journalistic photographer (and M-series shooter since the 70's). I have been using back-button focus for 30 years since the introduction of the Canon EOS autofocus technology. I can't imagine working any other way.

Let me make sure that I understand how the AFL on the Q2 operates. One goes into the main menu and chooses Customize Control - Zoom/Lock Button - AFL (not AEL/AFL). Then pushes and releases  the Zoom/Lock Button to focus. Recompose as desired. Then make an exposure. If one wants to make another exposure (or more than one additional exposure), will the focus be locked/retained to allow for additional exposures or will the focus be defaulted to the shutter release after one exposure? In other words, does AFL setting in the Q2 operate the same way as AFL does in the Q?

I thank you ahead for helping me sort this out.

5 hours ago, canlogic said:

Make sure your in zone focus mode and not multi or spot. Make sure touch focus is on. Then do a long TAP on the evf then you can change it. 

Not quite sure what a 'long tap' could be. By definition a tap is a brief action – as opposed to a 'shove' !!!

Anyway, not a tap on rear screen ?

20 minutes ago, Push said:

I’ve tried a few things but I can’t seem to get Selectable AF field size to work. Can someone explain how to use it please?

Being is your position only this morning let me show you the steps I learned to get this to work.

Obviously your camera needs to be in the Autofocus setting on the lens.

Got to the Menu section AF Mode and select either Field, or Face Detection

Now compose an image.  There will be an autofocus box that appears.  If you tap an area on the LCD you can move this autofocus box.  If you tap and hold the area, two red triangles will appear at the corners of the autofocus box.  Now you can adjust the side.  Use the thumb wheel in the upper right to change the size of your autofocus box.

hope this helps

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Being is your position only this morning let me show you the steps I learned to get this to work.

Obviously your camera needs to be in the Autofocus setting on the lens.

Got to the Menu section AF Mode and select either Field, or Face Detection

Now compose an image.  There will be an autofocus box that appears.  If you tap an area on the LCD you can move this autofocus box.  If you tap and hold the area, two red triangles will appear at the corners of the autofocus box.  Now you can adjust the side.  Use the thumb wheel in the upper right to change the size of your autofocus box.

hope this helps

Thank you. Works exactly as you say. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb clickclick48:

Let me make sure that I understand how the AFL on the Q2 operates. One goes into the main menu and chooses Customize Control - Zoom/Lock Button - AFL (not AEL/AFL). Then pushes and releases  the Zoom/Lock Button to focus. Recompose as desired. Then make an exposure. If one wants to make another exposure (or more than one additional exposure), will the focus be locked/retained to allow for additional exposures or will the focus be defaulted to the shutter release after one exposure? In other words, does AFL setting in the Q2 operate the same way as AFL does in the Q?

I thank you ahead for helping me sort this out.

Unfortunately the focus will be defaulted to the shutter release after one exposure. In do not understand why Leica made this decision. I had as you hoped that Leica implements a real back-button focus function that retains focus for multiple shots - but that is not the case.

Volker

• Thanks 1