Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Before pressing the button for this update, could I please just check one thing:

The Service-Support page describes the firmware update as being format FW and the size as 112.66MB

The file when downloaded appears to be format .ifu and the size is 118.3MB (Q2__20.ifu  118,131,712 bytes)

Have I downloaded the wrong file?

32 minutes ago, Mogoforest said:

Before pressing the button for this update, could I please just check one thing:

The Service-Support page describes the firmware update as being format FW and the size as 112.66MB

The file when downloaded appears to be format .ifu and the size is 118.3MB (Q2__20.ifu  118,131,712 bytes)

Have I downloaded the wrong file?

No, that’s it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, dancook said:

It's been going for at least a few minutes now, it has a full battery... but I was hoping to use the camera in a few hours..

update - it's been 10 minutes now

update - ok it's finished, must have taken 13 minutes or so

Yes. around 10m is the usual situation with most Leica firmware upgrades. Certainly not one minute as suggested above.

5 hours ago, KidSkee said:

This update looks really solid. Curious on the video side, does this mean that we'll have control over aperture and shutter settings? I've used this camera as a C cam on a documentary shoot and it's not bad, having a little more control over video would be awesome to have.

The video exposure settings are now completely manual, aperture or shutter priority - as well as program/auto. Personally I find the Q2 a killer video camera. Full frame, fabulous color, wonderful lens wide open, but the best video feature for me is using the frame crops to zoom in. I pair it with a GH5 &/or G9. Would be nice to have a PAL frequency setting but I'm not losing sleep. Update was smooth and quick. New menu is nice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acg69 said:

Yes, that’s all nice BUT the two things that should / could have been addressed to make the whole experience more pleasurable were not addressed:

1. AEL - should have the option to use it as a toggle instead of having to press it all the time. That’s how it works on most cameras anyway and for a camera that is not exactly the easiest or most ergonomic in terms of actual handling, it would make a hell of a difference.

2. Digital cropping - instead of having the lines to show the frame limits for 35, 50 and especially 75, the image should be magnified to fill the frame. Again, that is how it works on most cameras and for a reason. When you crop to the max, you have almost no clue as to what you actually shoot. It is MUCH easier to compose without having to see the lines.

Just my 2cents...

I looked to see if anyone addressed your first point, and it doesn't look like it, but that happened. I use the zoom/lock button on the back (that applies the digital zoom by default when you take the camera out of the box) to do AE-lock, and with this update you can now just press it to lock in the exposure. No need to hold. It's pretty awesome!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Thanks LUF Admin!

Actually downloading and being nervous as i leave in one hour to Panama.

If update works and it don't brick the camera i will post some photos from this upcoming road trip

Chris

I can't find the road from Zurich to Panama on my map.😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rfunnell said:

QA great update but it looks like the Gps metadata bluetooth import feature has been too hard.

Hope this doesn't happen with the new SL2?

If they can't manage it with the Q2, I doubt they can do it for the SL2. My guess is that at least they will be more motivated, now, because of the newer camera.

2 hours ago, petermlamont said:

The video exposure settings are now completely manual, aperture or shutter priority - as well as program/auto. Personally I find the Q2 a killer video camera. Full frame, fabulous color, wonderful lens wide open, but the best video feature for me is using the frame crops to zoom in. I pair it with a GH5 &/or G9. Would be nice to have a PAL frequency setting but I'm not losing sleep. Update was smooth and quick. New menu is nice.

What effect do the frame crops have? Same as for JPEGs?

3 hours ago, Whitford said:

Mine was very fast.

Lots of people are quoting 10-13 minutes... Mine was done in like 3min or less (I know this because it doesn't take me that long to walk to the kitchen get some water from my fridge and walk back, not like I stopped for cookies or anything). I have a UHSII card in maybe that makes a difference. 

• Like 1