Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, errebe said:

I don’t see that’s a big deal, really... and yes I manage to compose quite well...

World peace is a big deal, true...But there is something to be said about what is considered common / best practice and for a good reason too:) If they implement the way I propose (and other companies do anyway) they will accommodate those fortunate enough to be able to compose well through a peephole, as well as us less fortunate folk who would like the benefit of the whole LCD.

3 hours ago, Magic said:

The file number went back to L1000000, which is annoying. That didn't/doesn't happen with the FW update at my M10.

A workaround (which -I agree- we shouldn’t have to deal with) is to change the name convention to something else, say Q.

18 hours ago, robgo2 said:

It's a Leica thing. Leica M users are familiar with and praise the advantages of seeing the part of the scene that is outside the frame lines. As a never-M user, it is fine with me, although the frame for 75mm is pretty damn small--not that I ever expect to use it.

I see what you are saying and for the 35mm crop it may even be helpful. But closer than that, it is not really helping the composition. anyway, different strokes for different folks i guess:)

11 hours ago, iRandom said:

Has the satellite/GPS icon disappeared? I'm expecting that to happen at some point since it seems like the GPS feature disappeared from the Fotos docs.

You're right It has silently disappeared  not to be talked about again.

I asked about it through the fotos app 9 months ago and was told to 'be patient'.

Edited by rfunnell

3 hours ago, Push said:

I'm new to Leica, so i'm interested in your experiance with Firmware updates. Do Leica normally release a new manual after a significan Firmware update?

I love the update, but i'm not sure I know how all of the new functions operate.

Nope never happened. Leica is too lazy to even bother. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fredus said:

If I'm shooting portrait usually the exposure stays the same between shots and I would want to keep it locked for that session. For the thumb I will have to check the Leica one.

If I am shooting portraits, I often use an external incident light meter, and set exposure manually on the camera. Then it stays the same between shots.

(I have a Lumu for my iPhone, and I love it. Super small and convenient, and it has a real color meter, too!)

3 hours ago, rfunnell said:

You're right It has silently disappeared  not to be talked about again.

I asked about it through the fotos app 9 months ago and was told to 'be patient'.

My guess is that it’s still there, and will only be turned on when the feature is active. Maybe in 2023 or so. Be patient! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beneficus said:

Status Screen : " The video mode can be activated or deactivated via the Status Screen " . Great . I don't see any " activate / deactivate " button or whatever .

Any observation , please ? I want to deactivate the video mode " permanently " .

I simply ensured the Photo tab was highlighted on that screen (as opposed to the Video tab) and video no longer appears as an option when repeatedly pressing the centre button on the back of the camera.

Stephen

2 hours ago, Beneficus said:

Status Screen : " The video mode can be activated or deactivated via the Status Screen " . Great . I don't see any " activate / deactivate " button or whatever .

Any observation , please ? I want to deactivate the video mode " permanently " .

Don’t touch the word “VIDEO” on the status screen. It’s the only way to turn on video mode now.

4 hours ago, acg69 said:

A workaround (which -I agree- we shouldn’t have to deal with) is to change the name convention to something else, say Q.

Magic in post 75 described a more laborious work around that lets you keep the original file numbering convention.

You have to place an L10x0999 photo in the card and have the camera trigger an L10y folder.  Again an L10y0999 photo is placed (renamined) and the L10z folder is triggered.  Then repeat until you get back to the correct folder and your next image.

This is workable if you need to get to L1040600.   If you are already on L1980200 it is not realistic, but if you are there you probably have a much more efficient filing system than I have.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acg69 said:

Stil, the digizoom implementation... Do away with the lines (virtually unusable @75) and just magnify the image to fill the screen accordingly. I hate to say it but that's how everyone else does it and some times you just have to conform to what is best practice instead if reinventing the wheel:)

I see how the framelines can be useful for anticipating the decisive moment. So, I'd like to see Leica take a novel approach where they zoom to 10-20% less than the crop ratio (kind of like it already is for 35mm crop). That way you can still see enough outside the framelines to anticipate the shot and the area within the framelines is zoomed enough so that you can actually see what is there.

• Like 2

I didn't get my full wish list on this firmware update, but it came much sooner than I expected and I am happy with the changes.

I am curious about the AF box size.  I read that there is now a way to adjust the focus box size but I cannot find it.  I also downloaded the new (unchanged?) pdf manual and do not see where to make this adjustment.

thanks,

3 minutes ago, Mogoforest said:

All might not be lost on the GPS front  - I contacted Customer Service last week and their response was:

"It is planned that the next major release of Leica FOTOS in the first quarter of this year the GPS data will be written in the background."

Hope so, that was one of my most anticipated features in the Q2. I enjoy seeing my photos on a map but don't want to do all the geotagging myself. External geotrack logging apps get the job done - but only when I remember to start the app.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Nope never happened. Leica is too lazy to even bother. 

Wow, That should make it interesting if someone buys a Q2 from now and and trys to work it out. Comming from Olypmus cameras they released firmware updates and manuals on the same day.