Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I maybe mistaken but it appears to me that face detection is a bit improved after testing with my son.  Happy since that was a major gripe for me.

Another welcomed  fix... it also appears that the roaming AF box is now reset to center after a quick camera on/off toggle.

Edited by DexL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, petermlamont said:

A bug? After the update I found that when in manual focus, the right button (in the wheel) no longer acts as a function button (and no longer selects ISO). It is stuck on the focus assistant magnifier. When the lens is set to auto focus, the button works as expected.

Same thing with me

Took 30 secs for the update. One of the thing that I was missing the most was the AE-L. It's there, still on the zoom button so not convenient at all when you use a thumb rest since it covers almost entirely the button. When you take a picture it unlocks the exposure so you have to lock it again ... It's kink of silly but better than before. I wish we could customize the wheel button to be the AE-L so I could use a thumb rest. 

Edited by fredus

5 hours ago, petermlamont said:

A bug? After the update I found that when in manual focus, the right button (in the wheel) no longer acts as a function button (and no longer selects ISO). It is stuck on the focus assistant magnifier. When the lens is set to auto focus, the button works as expected.

Yup. I looked around for a setting to turn it off, but there isn't one. Maybe we should ask for such a setting in a future firmware release. In the meantime you could always assign ISO to the FN button.

10 hours ago, clickclick48 said:

Are you saying that you can press and release the AF-L button to focus (and hold the focus), but after you take one photo the focus lock is cancelled and the focus responsibility is again relegated to the shutter button? That is not the way it works on the Q.

I just tested it. Assigning focus lock to the crop button doesn't change the normal function of the shutter button. As long as you don't press the crop button, a half-press of the shutter button locks focus and exposure. However, once you press the crop button, focus is locked, and a half press of the shutter button only locks exposure. If you press the crop button again, it unlocks focus. After you take the photo, everything goes back to the shutter button as before.

Ideally I'd love to see a button that could trigger autofocus in manual focus mode, then have focus stay in that place through multiple shots. That feature is on the SL and the SL2. But my guess is that Leica thinks it's philosophically incompatible with the design of the focus ring. I'm not sure I agree.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Getting ready to do my upgrade.  Quick question first.  Will my user functions preferences and personalized menus reset when I do the up date or do they remain after the installation?

Answer yes when it asks you whether to save your profiles. Then after the upgrade, you have to go in and manually restore the saved profiles. The update instructions imply that the restore happens automatically, but it doesn’t. 

Mine restored fine, once I did it myself. 

• Like 1

Correction - The AE-L can now lock without having to keep it pressed! This is great and it makes a world of difference if you shoot with spot metering.

I liked the status screen (i.e. the favourites in a tile arrangement) but I would have liked fo it to also work independently from the EVF. What I am saying is that a status screen like this could be one of the options in the display cycle, instead of a menu option. The reason is that if you don't shoot with your LCD but with your EVF, it makes sense to have that info displayed on the big screen and the image displayed with no other data (if you wish) in the smaller EVF. That is how it is implemented in the Sony a7 series that I was using before and i think it helps. Not to mention that it would probably conserve battery life more!

Stil, the digizoom implementation... Do away with the lines (virtually unusable @75) and just magnify the image to fill the screen accordingly. I hate to say it but that's how everyone else does it and some times you just have to conform to what is best practice instead if reinventing the wheel:)

Oh, last but not least... What is this with the image counting resetting? I file my images with their original names and i cannot afford to have duplicate numbers. I had to change the name convention from Lxxxxxxxx to Qxxxxxxxx to avoid this duplication... Poor show:/

Edited by acg69

1 hour ago, fredus said:

Took 30 secs for the update. One of the thing that I was missing the most was the AE-L. It's there, still on the zoom button so not convenient at all when you use a thumb rest since it covers almost entirely the button. When you take a picture it unlocks the exposure so you have to lock it again ... It's kink of silly but better than before. I wish we could customize the wheel button to be the AE-L so I could use a thumb rest. 

I am not using a thumb rest, but Leica's original thumb rest takes care of that issue because it allows you to press the button when it is on the camera. Also, I think it is right to unlock the Exposure after each shot. The camera has no way of knowing what you will be shooting next (as in a series with the same exposure) so it reverts to its mean, allowing you to move from there.

31 minutes ago, acg69 said:

I am not using a thumb rest, but Leica's original thumb rest takes care of that issue because it allows you to press the button when it is on the camera. Also, I think it is right to unlock the Exposure after each shot. The camera has no way of knowing what you will be shooting next (as in a series with the same exposure) so it reverts to its mean, allowing you to move from there.

If I'm shooting portrait usually the exposure stays the same between shots and I would want to keep it locked for that session. For the thumb I will have to check the Leica one.

I have to give Leica major credit for implementing the touch AF functionality by dragging your thumb on the screen. I recently tried this on a Canon R and really liked it. I’m honestly surprised they did it for the Q2 and it seems to work just as well as it does on the Canon.

5 hours ago, adamdewilde said:

Lots of people are quoting 10-13 minutes... Mine was done in like 3min or less (I know this because it doesn't take me that long to walk to the kitchen get some water from my fridge and walk back, not like I stopped for cookies or anything). I have a UHSII card in maybe that makes a difference. 

I used an old 16GB Sandisk card I had lying around (UHSI and not at all fast - 30MB/s rated) and it took only about a minute.

Edited by Chippy_boy

36 minutes ago, Magic said:

The file number went back to L1000000, which is annoying. That didn't/doesn't happen with the FW update at my M10.

In case anyone else is facing that problem - I tried to rename the folder and subsequently the file to the number +1 after the latest I took on the SD-card....didn't work.

The only way around it that I found so far is time consuming and annoying. Renaming the folder to the latest (in my case L107) and copying the latest file into it, did not work.

I renamed the folder back to L100 and copied the file L1000999.DNG into that folder on the SD-card. Then I removed the card from my Mac and put it into the Q2, took 2 shots and the camera created the folder L101 and the file L1010001.DNG.

I repeated these steps with the subsequently created folders until the Q2 created the folder L107. In here I copied the latest file I took, took again 1-2 shots and now the file numbers are back to where they were before the FW update.

Renaming the folder to L107 right from the start didn't work for me....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Face detect, is a little bit better, but still dumber than CL one. 

However it works like the SL2 one thankfully, it reverts back to one point AF, instead of stupid full auto AF.

Very fast pace DNG taking seems to be fixed.  Q2 used to hung up and frozen. Now DNG writing seems to be faster and reliable.

Video modes are working as they are supposed to work : fixed shutter speed at 1/60th and selectable aperture. 

Thanks Leica

Edited by nicci78

6 minutes ago, LordCho said:

Anyone have thoughts on the new Status screen? (It's the new landing page when you press Menu once)

If that is the price for removing video from the centre button on the back of the camera I'm delighted to pay it! There will be no more accidental videos for me.

More seriously, I do find the dispay quite useful—even though I've yet to fathom what some of the icons actually mean. 😀

Stephen