I know i shouldn't have...but i did

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hate doing the latest "newer version, install" thing. Often causes more angst because it doesn't install properly and stops working. 

Forget the routine upgrades like your mobile phone...they are just adding new advertising, or how can i screw you a bit more, sort of thing.

Anyone else?

But i got caught, again, without thinking it through properly....with my X-Rite Color Checker, which is a great system to add proper color balance ...if you want to.  Mostly I'm happy with Auto Colour...works for me, but I'm not a night-club groover, or take deep dark stage shots. So the Color-Checker is a reliable color balance.

Tried the offered new install, when trying a previous dng picture of my Color Checker. No...Unknown error...wont work.  Try going back, no luck there.

Spent  several hours rebooting scanning for residuals in the registry. Nup. And numerous other trials. I'm not a newby with computers...but do feel like it with some of the modern hacks and tricks in software.

Lesson, again, DON'T AUTOMATICALLY DO THE UPDATES...haha.  If it's working...leave it alone.

• Like 2

I want to make the plea again when folks report computer trouble, they give complete information - what computer, what OS version, RAM, graphics card, and specifically what version of what software is not working.  Dave's report is helpful, but I don't know if it applies to me or not.

I am an early adopter of software, and hardware, updates.  I did hold back on macOS Catalina, but now have it installed.  As an example of update software Catalina 10.15.2 and Photoshop 21.0.3 did fix a lock-up issue I had with Photoshop on both my old late 2013 MacPro and my new 2018 MacMini with a Radeon WX 8200 graphics card, High Sierra (all releases) and Photoshop 2019 (all releases).  The issue had to do with Photoshop's use of GPUs.  So I am an advocate of always having the latest software and up-to-date hardware.  I seldom have update issues.  And I DO NOT ALLOW AUTOMATIC UPDATES either.

Now I have to try X-Rite's color checker software to see if I find the same problem.

• Like 1

Hi Zeitz

Thanks for your interest.

I was mainly making the point about ..."...DON'T AUTOMATICALLY DO THE UPDATES...haha.  If it's working...leave it alone.."

I'm on PC platform Windows 7 Pro, 8Gb Memory and 2Tb of SSD driver.  i7 Intel.

I'm finding the Colorchecker does all the right things when processing a DNG file pic of the Colorchecker color swatches...but when it comes to save-name new profile I get an error message saying "Unknown Error...try restarting.."  ColorChecker Passport program.

I've deleted the program and tried to wipe Register entries but don't know which residuals may be left behind. And reinstalled several times.

But no luck so far after also changing permission attributes in the Save Folder for profiles which ColorChecker uses by default. 

Will keep grinding away...I usually fix things in the end....:)