Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is interesting to see the weaknesses of sensors, so that I do not fall accidentally into this trap. But the nice thing is that the weaknesses found until now (banding if high ISOs are further pushed, under rare circumstances) are extremely unlikely for me, as they are lying far outside my typical usage range. Speak: In practice this problem will never occur to me.

The same is true for the usage of adapted M lenses with S1R. Diglloyd shows many weaknesses (compared to usage on the M10), but using the fact that the S1R has a much bigger resolution it is very easy to crop away the bad image areas (or downsample the picture, which I rarely do). Conclusion: (With cropping) very well usable for M lenses. Rule of thumb: If best IQ is expected across the full picture, then use Leica SL lenses (or other L-mount lenses).   That is both not really surprising and not difficult to keep in mind.

Currently I am more interested in the question when OIS and when IBIS is better used, as both cannot be used simultaneously on SL lenses. Especially for the SL 90-280 zoom.

Edited by caissa

I have enjoyed reading the comments put forth on this thread.  It has helped me to validate my decision to purchase the S1R to supplement and further enhance my small array of Leica cameras, and I use the word supplement in the true sense of the word, for I don't see the S1R replacing either my SL, M10, M246, or S007, all of which I currently use, but the S1R has its place in amongst all four of them.

Why should I keep the SL?  For one thing, it is a better body for M lenses than the S1R.  I can confirm that fact based on my own testing, and not simply from reading the opinions of others;  the S1R is not the camera that I will use with adapted M lenses.  I tested it against the SL, with both mounted on a tripod, both fitted with a Summilux-M 50, both set to ISO 3200, both with aperture set to f8.0, manual exposure set to 1/8 sec., and automatic WB under identical lighting conditions.  The SL was the clear winner here; the images are cleaner and sharper by a considerable amount compared to the S1R images, and the colors from the SL/M-lens combo were nicer and more akin to those in the actual scene.  

Why would I keep the M10?  Well, if for no other reason, it is an M, and a darn good one at that.  And is there a sexier camera in the world?  And then there is also the Rangefinder experience and the exhilaration that comes from lining things up with that little patch.  Well, perhaps exhilaration is not the right word, but M owners know what I mean.  And those M lenses that work better on the SL than on the S1R?  Well, they function even better on the M10 and the M246. That is definitely where they belong - except perhaps the Noctilux 0.95, which feels right at home on the SL.

And that brings me to the S007, the much maligned, once overpriced, hunk of a camera.  It's big, it's heavy, it is stuck in the Fifties with its optical viewfinder, but those images?... you have to see them to believe them.  

So, I will keep the S1R, and I will find time to work it into the rotation. It is an incredible camera, but so are the others I mentioned.  All keepers, and all have their place in my bag.

Edited by relms
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, thighslapper said:

..... not forgetting that Leica is condemned to making the sensor compatible with a long list of M lenses ..... 

That might depend whether there will be an EVF-M (built-in) in the future. If they produce an EVF-M I do not see why they must continue full compatibility with M (and R) lenses in a future SL2 or SL3 considered the vast choice of native and L-mount ecosystem lenses. The current SL might be a bridge in this sense. 

S1R with Leica 24-90, street scene in Rome yesterday. Visited Leica store here to see if they had the SL 35mm Summicron but they said next week by which time we will be elsewhere.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Am ‎14‎.‎04‎.‎2019 um 23:00 schrieb bags27:

Am I the only one who sees banding in both those photos, especially the beach scene? Again, gotta clean my specs, I guess. 

I dont know if it is banding but certainly there is some noise and vingetting. I had vignetting correcting in camera turned off but decided when shooting the 50/1.4 wide open I rather turn it on in camera.

As I wrote I believe undereposing at medium to higher ISO and then raising exposure seems not the strongest side of this sensor (only my first impressions) but so far right exposure helped any sensor I have owned so far.

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As my first post here on LCF,  I wanted to get this thread started with some pics.  check out the S1r and 75 APO combo (2nd 2 pics).  Definitely been enjoying it.  The first two pics are of the S1r and Leica 50/2 APO (adapted of course).    The S1r is really a beast of a camera and turning out to be better for me than the Sony a7r3 adapted. Not better but different than the m10-p.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone tried the Elmarit TL 18mm f2.8 on the S1R ?  This pancake lens produces 20 megapixel images on the S1R and could be fun as a walk around lens. So I wonder which is better : a M 28mm elmarit (with limited close focus ability) or this TL lens with AF and ability of close focus (with 27mm equivalent).  Maybe any sample pictures ?

It is the only pancake lens for L-mount, and if it is optically fine, then it is a candidate for weekend walk arounds with family...   The combination is heavier than the Q, but if it’s IQ is comparable, I would accept that.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

I posted some of these somewhere else on the LCF accidentally.  The S1r has been a champ with adapted lenses, almost makes me want to list my A7r3.  The 75 APO SL really is incredible, only drawback is swirly bokeh (not my taste).  

It is def better at adapting M lenses than my A7r3, have to test Nikon Z7 before I make my mind up there.  

S1r ‘s major drawback though is autofocus capability.  Eye AF is sketchy, it hunts in indoor natural lighting all the time, and the focus modes aren’t as user friendly as the A7r3.  The Sony’s new eye af firmware update is best in class by a huge margin too, it picks out my young son’s eyes even with a 28mm, wide open, at 10-15 feet.  Panasonic can only grab his body, not even his head.  

However, I feel like I’m using the Leica SL2 when I pick up the Panny, and adapting so well my M glass at 47mp is an experience unparalleled now.  Great camera and def feels like it’s from the future.  

50 APO M mount75 APO SL28 Summilux
  • Like 11

I received my S1R this afternoon. Here are some random shots I took around the house all with the Vario Elmarit SL 105-280.

Sun was gone, fairly flat light.

280mm 1/320 f4.5  ISO 6400 (I hardly ever shoot above 640, wanted to try this out).

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 15

vor 5 Minuten schrieb michali:

I received my S1R this afternoon. Here are some random shots I took around the house all with the Vario Elmarit SL 105-280.

Sun was gone, fairly flat light.

280mm 1/320 f4.5  ISO 6400 (I hardly ever shoot above 640, wanted to try this out).

Thanks,

Mike

Nice shot from Ground level. Did you use the tilt display? And eye-AF or any modern gimmicks?

Paxi's is a fairly tricky subject, she's pitch black, like a pool of black velvet.

190mm 1/200 f3.5 ISO 800

Same pic as above, I've pushed the shadows by 50%..........

This one's hand held, shot at 280mm 1/640 f4 ISO 500

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Nice shot from Ground level. Did you use the tilt display? And eye-AF or any modern gimmicks?

Thank you, I just used the tilt display, no gimmicks. I haven't sat down to read the instructions yet, was just playing around.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb caissa:

Has anyone tried the Elmarit TL 18mm f2.8 on the S1R ?  This pancake lens produces 20 megapixel images on the S1R and could be fun as a walk around lens. So I wonder which is better : a M 28mm elmarit (with limited close focus ability) or this TL lens with AF and ability of close focus (with 27mm equivalent).  Maybe any sample pictures ?

It is the only pancake lens for L-mount, and if it is optically fine, then it is a candidate for weekend walk arounds with family...   The combination is heavier than the Q, but if it’s IQ is comparable, I would accept that.

I have tried the 23 TL which is pretty compact as well and it works fine on the s1r (first impression) and is a relativly "compact" combo ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I have tried the 23 TL which is pretty compact as well and it works fine on the s1r (first impression) and is a relativly "compact" combo ;)

Yes ...... I've got it on the S1R and have been trying it out for the last few days ...... compared to the body it almost looks like pancake lens ..... presumably the genuine 18mm TL pancake would look very odd ....

Edited by thighslapper

You Can't Beat The Handphone 😄

S1R with R 100mm f2.8

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AlanYWM said:

You Can't Beat The Handphone 😄

S1R with R 100mm f2.8

My apologies. It should be SL with R 100mm f2.8 APO. Should in the SL thread. I am getting confused 😪