Computer change.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You know, Mike, I have often wondered how a Mac knows which Bluetooth signal to associate with which computer.  (Bluetooth is the technology that provides for wireless mice and keyboards.)  I recommend that you turn off the mouse and keyboard that you are not using when you first boot the computer so the computer doesn't have to decide from competing signals.  After that the computer should know which devices to respond to.

Usually an SD reader has a USB Type A connection.  (Type A is the old USB that has been around for years; it is not the new USB-C that was introduced a couple of years ago.)  You can buy a USB Type A long cord or a USB Type A extension cord.  The max length of a USB cable (total) is 16.4 feet.  There is a technical reason for this limitation based on how information packets are handled.  But 16.4 feet should be plenty long for your use.  There are so many SD readers that I could not recommend one.  (I use a Lexar hub that connects via Thunderbolt 2.)  SD = Secure Data, USB = Universal Serial Bus.

Hi  zeitz. It is very comforting to me that you had to think about the keyboard question! I had been thinking about it since making post and come to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to switch off IMac and remove batteries from keyboard and mouse and hope that the new board would lock on to the Pro. I will buy an SD reader and as short a cord as is practical for my needs. It only needs to reach from desk top to floor.

Will power the new Pro up sometime next week when I have a DP cable.

Thanks. Mike.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, kinross said:

Hi Zeist. Will buy a DP cable. May be able to get one locally on Monday.

Thanks for help and encouragement. I usually find with this type of thing I learn a lot and wonder what all the fuss was about when all is working.

Two things you may be able to advise me. . To keep my IMac a complete unit for maybe moving on I have purchased the same type of keyboard and mouse for the Pro. I have not powered the Pro up yet. When I do how will the two computers know which keyboard is which.   Also I have no SD card port on Pro so will presumable need a seperate one. I would like one on a lead as my Pro will be under the desk and I do not want to have to get under desk to plug card in. Any ideas on a good reader to buy.

Once again, thanks.    Mike.

I've been using the Lexar (in USB 2.0 guise) for many years. Very robust and it clicks shut, keeping the slot clean.

https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/professional-usb-3-0-dual-slot-reader/

Hi Jaapv. I can pick that reader up on amazon over here. Will wait till I have Pro up and running. Hoping for my display port cable to be delivered today. When I have it will try and transfer data via time machine and migration assistant. Wish me luck.

cheers.   Mike.

Hi again. I have my Pro powered up and data transferred. All ok except that after about 10 minuets the Pro powers down. Cannot get screen up by hitting a key and the led goes out on my image print dongle. The fan is running and the light is on above power switch on front. Pressing switch makes no difference. The only way to get going is to pull power plug. Any ideas?

Thanks.  Mike.

Some troubleshooting procedures might help...

http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/macpro/macpro_early2009.pdf

Only power issues I’ve had with an older Mac Pro turned out to be related to RAM installation... but machine intermittently powered down and up without unplugging. And once had to replace motherboard battery after sitting idle a while.  Your issue likely different, but you’ll probably want to run a system report (link).

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mike, you can check all the sleep and energy saving settings under System Preferences.  I never let my Macs go into the energy saving mode or even put the monitor to sleep.  But in the end I think you may have to take the rebuilt MacPro 5.1 back to the person who built it.  It is now impossible for us to know what is in the case and how well the pieces play together.

1 hour ago, zeitz said:

But in the end I think you may have to take the rebuilt MacPro 5.1 back to the person who built it.  

I thought he got a refurbished 4.1... not clear if he meant upgraded to 5.1.  But in either case,  I agree that if the fix isn’t simple and obvious, I’d go right back to the seller for action.  

Jeff

Thanks for suggestions. I will finish breakfast and have another play with Pro. It is a refurb 4.1. Will sort out exactly what is happening and ring my supplier for advice.

will post on here when I have some answers.

Mike.

Have been in contact with my supplier and they think I may have a software problem. Will possibly talk me through some checks. Unfortunatley my mouse keeps loosing contact and the arrow moves very jerkily. They are sending me a USB dongle to improve connectivity. I think they are correct as I just just tried mouse with pad on top of Pro and it works fine. Keyboard also looses contact but not so bad.

my latest problem is that I have just tried to access my standalone LR 6 and I get a screen come up from Adobe asking me to sign in to use this software and terms and conditions for using trial software. Do not know what to make of it. I am beginning to wish I had not started this change over. I suppose that as you say in the states If it ain't broke don't change it!

cheers.

Mike.

I recently installed my last time machine back up on a new iMac after my old iMac died ( hard drive failed) . Both my stand alone LR 6 and Photo Shop thought they where in trial mode when first opened. Typing in the relevant serial keys fixed the problem.

For anyone who has a 27ins Imac with a failed HD. It is not all that difficult to fix. Western Digital customer support sorted out the new HD, extra ram and a hardware fix for temperature control came from Amazon.The knowledge to do the job came from Utube.

Edited by Guest

Black screens are often caused by problems with the Video card and/or corrupt permissions. The thing to do is to reset your NVRAM/PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac (see above if you aren’t sure how).
  2. Press the power button. Once you hear the startup chime, hold down CMND + OPT + P + R.
  3. Hold these until you hear another startup chime, then release them.

And then repair your permissions, best done in CleanMyMac. Then run a Smart Scan in CleanMyMac.

With a bit of luck it might clear the problem.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:53 PM, jaapv said:

My fully upgraded mid-2010 Cheesegrater MacPro with two Eizo CG screens does a perfect editing job. The only downside is that modern AI programs like Topaz DeNoise AI tend to run slowly - but it gives one time to replenish the caffein blood levels or  flip an LP. or similar.

I agree about the need to replenish caffeine levels, but would prefer to flip a pancake. I have a bunch of LPs, but no turntable.

Once again thanks for suggestions. I have fixed LR. Today the screen had changed and asked for serial number, entered it and all ok. The blue tooth dongle arrived and connectivity seems ok now. My next problem, tried to open Word and Excel and being asked for product codes. Do not have them any more as had a flood couple of years back and my note books were destroyed. Will have to think about this one. Do not want to buy office again unless I have to.   Viv after a day tearing my hair out over computer I relax with an LP on turntable. Buy a decent turntable. LP's are still lovely to listen to.

cheers. Mike.

Please ignore my post re cd drive. I have just been looking on net and It is probably behind the grey panels on front. The machine is under my desk and I did not see them. I think I may have the wrong keyboard. I asked for same type of keyboard that I have for IMac. This does not have the keys to open and use cd drives. Will probably have to see if my supplier will exchange it otherwise will have to buy external drive.

Mike.

36 minutes ago, kinross said:

I have just noticed that I do not have a built in cd drive on my Pro. Is this normal or should I have specified one. I will have to get an external drive.

Mike.

Did you check the optical drive bays? And, sorry for asking the obvious, hit the eject key (up arrow with dash underneath) on your keyboard?  You can easily install two optical drives if none exist ...

Jeff

Edit.... posted too late

Edited by Jeff S