Computer change.

Hi Jeff. I have an optical reader. Used the link you posted and have installed an eject button in toolbar at top of screen.

one more problem solved. Will ring my supplier Monday to see if we can sort not powering up from keyboard after time out. Not the end of the world as I am leaving it running and switching screen off with hot corner.  Powers up from keyboard ok. Do shut down at night. Once again all help appreciated. I would have been stuck without the forum.

Mike.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:24 AM, zeitz said:

Mike, try Open Office.  It is a totally free open source software package.  I haven’t used Microsoft Office in over 6 years and I have never missed it.  The file formats are compatible.  

I agree about Open Office. There is also Pages and Numbers included with the macOS to replace Word and Excel. No need for Microsoft Office anymore.

Thanks for input re pages and numbers. By chance I have found a copy of my key numbers for office. They worked and I have office working again.

my only issue now is slow finder which has migrated across from old Mac have tried every method of clearing it that I can find on line, no luck. Have made a phone call for professional assistance. Think diagnostic kit is called for.

Cheers. Mike.

Could not agree more. Stayed on topic and very informative and friendly. I am phoning my supplier today as I have some on going issues I want sorted. The mouse /keyboard connectivity is still poor. They sent me a dongle. When plugged in to Mac it is slightly better. I purchased a USB extension cable and have it taped to my desk top next to mat . Still not good enough although improved. Must be something very wrong there. 

When I set energy saving timeout sometimes only the screen goes off not the computer. Can never restart from keyboard or power button. Have to pull mains plug. Very awkward as Mac is at back under desk and I am knocking on a bit in years. 

I do not get Apple logo etc at power up. Goes to log in screen after about 45 secs. This may be due to non Apple video board. Can live with that.

Take a deep breath and pick up phone.

cheers. Mike.

I also have found the Mac energy saving timeout to be unpredictable on the various MacPro, MacMini and MacBook Pro models that I have owned.  As a result I disable the energy saving timeout.  To compound my waste of energy, I only turn the computers off when I will be on travel for a long period of time.  I would like to hear from others on this thread if they use the timeout.

The Energy Saver system preference has changed in macOS Catalina.  You used to be able to set different times for display off and computer sleep.  Not any more.  There is a slider to set the time when the display is turned off plus a bunch of check boxes for4 other energy savings options.  One of the options is to prevent the computer from sleeping when the display is off.