Love my M8; now I need another lens.

ardbeg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. First post on the forum. Purchased an M8 and 35 Cron ASPH back in March having sold my Hassy and Nikon because they weren't getting any use due to weight and other factors. Clearly made the right choice with the M8 because I haven't shot this much since lugging a N70, a 24mm prime, a pack full of Velvia, and tripod across Scotland 10 years ago. So, I'm hooked.

Anyway, I very much like the 35 Cron as a general purpose lens however I'm now desirous of a 50 and a little more speed based on the amount of night/bar/low light work I've been doing. Also, 35 is great for street photography but I wanted something a little narrower and "softer" for portraiture.

Noctilux looks gorgeous but I sold the Nikon and Hassy because they were too unwieldy thus I fear a Noct may get left at home too often.

With all that said, what are the thoughts on 1.4 and 1.5 50s? I've been reading reidreviews and wanted additional feedback on Summilux, Sonnar, etc. Thank you.

--Lawson Kelly

It's funny since with years of having a M7 and MP, I used to be satisfied with a 35 and 50 lens. Now with a M8, I seem to keep buying new ones. I have a 75mm Summilux which is a great lens but heavier than most Leica lenses. I just bought a used 50mm 1.4 PreAsph Lux that has (to me) almost identical bokeh to the 75mm lux, in other words great! Only thing is that 35 and 50 are pretty close together, I usually use 35/75 or 28/50 pairs together.

Jan

Well, personally for a new lens the 50 ASPH Lux can't be beat; it must be one of the best (if not the best) 50mm lenses in the world in terms of performance wide open. It's no slouch closed down, either.

It doesn't have quite the same look as the non-ASPH 50s, but it's difference, not better or worse. You certainly can't go wrong with it as a general purpose lens!

Personally, if you have the 35, I'd shoot for longer with a 75 and wider with a 24. Those would be the next two for me...

If size is an issue, maybe the new 75 Summarit will be good, though slower, for sure.

Of the current lenses, the 50/1.4 or 75/2 are the most obvious choices and it would be worth using the frame selection lever (keeping in mind the frames are hardly accurate) to see whether the 75 might be too tight. Neither lens could be described as "softer" though. You might find a secondhand pre-ASPH 50/1.4 would do that job.

Any comments on secondhand pre-ASPH 50/1.4 versus current Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5?

--Lawson

Of the current lenses, the 50/1.4 or 75/2 are the most obvious choices and it would be worth using the frame selection lever (keeping in mind the frames are hardly accurate) to see whether the 75 might be too tight. Neither lens could be described as "softer" though. You might find a secondhand pre-ASPH 50/1.4 would do that job.

The 50 is a funny focal length on the M8, and I find that 35/75 make a much better pair. The 75 Cron would probably be the perfect counterpoint to the 35 Cron Asph. See if you can't borrow a 50 to see if you really like the focal length.

The 35 and 50 are very close, play with the frame line selector to see the FOV and I think you may come to the same conclusion.

As for softer, the 75 Cron & 50 Summilux Asph's share almost the same optical formula and I have the 75 Cron Asph which I find just that bit to sharp and too much contrast for the type / look I like to have in portraits. I feel however in the absence of a 50mm the 75mm range is about the ideal portrait length for the M8. The 75 Cron is a super super lens .

I have taken a slightly different path in the focal lengths 28 Cron for general shooting, 50 Nocti for portrait / soft look @ f:/2.8 - f:/4 and at the tele end I've yet to decide between an old softie summarex 85 f:/1.5 or the pre Asph 90 Summicron for tighter head & shoulder portraits.

If 50mm is your chosen focal length, you may find the current asph while excellent, may prove to be to excellent and reveal every flaw of your subject. The prior pre Asph will give slightly more softness off center or for an even softer overall image consider the old summarit 50mm f:/1.5 in screw mount with an adapter for about €300 for a good copy. Beware of the front element, coatings tended to be softer and can show cleaning marks.

I wish you luck in your search for the ultimate portrait lens, not easy given the superb detail the leica glass render with the M8.;)

I just bought my M8 with a 50 ... love the camera and the lens. Reasons NOT to buy the Noctilux was two fold:

- you have to like the softness and typical Nocti-look of photo's

- it seems that focussing costs more effort

The 50 is great; my next lens would be a wide angle.

....it seems that focussing costs more effort....

Focus does require a greater movement of the focus ring, true. But this greater degree of movement allows for finer adjustment of the focus point. Such fine adjustment is hard to achieve and takes longer in the end with the shorter focus throw lenses. Each to their own and as they say YMMV. :)

The 50 is a funny focal length on the M8, and I find that 35/75 make a much better pair. The 75 Cron would probably be the perfect counterpoint to the 35 Cron Asph. See if you can't borrow a 50 to see if you really like the focal length.

Re-reading your post, I see that you want more speed and a softer look, in which case the 50 Summilux pre-Asph or the 75 Lux would be the two sharp, but not too sharp, lenses which IMO would best fit your stated criteria. The 75 Lux and 50 Lux pre-Asph share the same basic design, similarly to the 50 Lux Asph and 75 Cron Asph. I would not discount the 50 Lux Asph too quickly, though. It is sharp, but wide open it has a really nice look and great bokeh. This may be one of the very best lenses ever made. The whole 35 Cron IV vs. ASPH kind of argument is much less common with the 50s, because the 50 Lux Asph is really that good. The older lens is also very good though.

It would be advisable to first figure out if you really want a 50 or a 75. I love the 50 Lux Asph and will not sell mine, but I find myself reaching for the 75, not the 50, when I want a little more reach than my 35 gives me.

Lawson, I also started with the 35, but 50 seemed just a few footsteps way, so I next went with a 75. The Summicron is very sharp, but I soften in post, when necessary. I know it's not exactly the same same as a soft lens, but this way I can go sharp or soft.

John

Guest guy_mancuso

If i started with a 35m cron than the next logical lenses would be 24 and 75. This would give you a nice 3 lens basic setup . But i maybe the worst guy to ask because I'm on a 10 lens setup which does not normally fit M logic. But this 3 lens setup with a 75mm lux in there really would fit the bill. Than add a 12 or 15mm CV lens in there for the fourth and you would have a very nice kit of 15,24,35,75. But if you want a character lens than the 75 lux maybe the answer

If you are going to keep the 35 then a 21 or 24 depending on how wide you like to go and a 75 on the other end.

The other alternative is to swap the 35 for a fast 2 lens kit made up of 28/2 and 50/1.4 (either the new ASPH or the last version).

On the long end I'd wait to see what the new Summarit looks like before choosing.

Thank you for all of the responses. It is my ultimate intention to go with a 4 lens setup which will include a ultra wide (wish they made an 18 prime lens as the WATE is more than I need) and a 75 but for now I'm enjoying the middle ground of 35 to 50 thus the decision to get a 50 as the next lens.

--Lawson

With all that said, what are the thoughts on 1.4 and 1.5 50s? I've been reading reidreviews and wanted additional feedback on Summilux, Sonnar, etc. Thank you.

--Lawson Kelly

Among current 50 mm lenses, the Zeiss 1.5 is the only one that is soft. Otherwise, look at older lenses, perhaps. The other modern 50s that I've tested are all high res lenses.

Just saw your newest post - older lens, good idea for what you wanted.

Cheers,

Sean

Another option is flying a bit lower, under the radar screen: I found some good deals on 35 'cron and 50'cron. With a 75 CV, the kit gets flushed out rather nicely.

With the focus issue in mind, I've opted to stay away from the 'lux lenses, preferring the slightly more forgiving DOF of the 'cron. So far, so good. Here some images from a tool store in Maine. a bit of shadow and bokeh.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you can find one at a reasonble price, get the 75mm1.4. After that I see the advice in this thread leans toward the 24, although I would go just a bit wider and get the 21mm. It is fun to speculate. DR

So, as mentioned above, I just got a pre-ASPH 50 lux. Any need to get it coded or should I just stick to worrying about coding at 35mm and wider? Will be doing a combination of b&w and color work.

--Lawson