Recommendations for printer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, 250swb said:

Myself and a friend had terrible experiences with the Epson 3800 where each failed with the same ink clogging problem. I went through three machines under warranty, one of them failing as the technician tried to get ink going through it on installation. When it worked it was a very good printer, but after that I swore to never again buy Epson crap. So the alternative was a Canon Pro-10 and aside from superb print quality it just works, leave it a month and it still works.

And exactly on that aspect: ink clogging I have found the P800 incomparably better than the 3800. I certainly do not print every week and haven’t experienced any problems with ink since a year or so. The P800 also takes a lot more time to start up than the 3800, it seems to clean the heads default after startup. Ink usage is also much more favorable than the 3800. I wouldn’t swear anything but in combination with ImagePrint I am perfectly happy and for my feeling for years to come. I hardly use any testprints anymore and can rely on the screen of my iMac 27” for a preview of how the print will come out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

When you're up and running you'll probably want to begin printing your archive as well as current work which will keep your printer busy enough.  You'll find your own level with regard to your output, but don't let the printer sit idle for  prolonged periods even if you only run a nozzle check or print a calibration target or documents etc from time to time.

Assuming there are no blockages, airlocks or other issues, your printer will be ready to print whenever you turn it on. You don't need to run a 'test print' first', if that is what you are asking, but if you haven't printed anything for several days it is worth running a nozzle check first to avoid waste.

Take it slowly, you will make mistakes and you will waste paper and ink in the initial stages.  As with any process, methodical practice will help you get to grips with your workflow.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

And exactly on that aspect: ink clogging I have found the P800 incomparably better than the 3800. I certainly do not print every week and haven’t experienced any problems with ink since a year or so. The P800 also takes a lot more time to start up than the 3800, it seems to clean the heads default after startup. Ink usage is also much more favorable than the 3800. I wouldn’t swear anything but in combination with ImagePrint I am perfectly happy and for my feeling for years to come. I hardly use any testprints anymore and can rely on the screen of my iMac 27” for a preview of how the print will come out. 

I have had the P800 since it was first introduced in the UK. I also bought Image Print shortly after. I connect the printer using an Ethernet cable as it is in a differant room. From day one I have only had 2 minor problems . The first was sorted out by the image print people almost instantly via email. The 2nd took a couple of days and was caused by a combination of upgrading a bit too soon to IP black and my iMac getting a bit long in the tooth.Since then many prints ,no problems with clogging jets and as far as I am concerned one of the best combo,s of kit I have ever owned.I only used Epson ink cartridges and have no intention of even trying 3rd party inks.I am a very satisfied customer of both Epson and ColorByte who develop IP.

1 minute ago, BrianP said:

sorted out by the image print people almost instantly

Exactly, I had something with the transition to Catalina. They always respond within 12 hours even in weekends or they warn you in advance if their software is not yet ready for a new Apple OS

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Jeff S:

It’s an accessory option in the US.  The P800 also has a roll paper option, and it’s a much more robust one. I haven’t checked the specs on the respective P700 and P900 replacement models.

Jeff

The Epson P800 with a roll adapter looks like a good buy, just how to dispose of a 120lb printer. Looks like Canon has discontinued the inks for the IPF5000 and 5100, if any one knows of a source for a complete set in the US, I'd like to know. I could also switch to a 3rd party ink if there is a reputable one, again US. Cone if they did color would be perfect, I have live about 25 mi from them, but I think they are b&w only.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The Epson P800 with a roll adapter looks like a good buy, just how to dispose of a 120lb printer. Looks like Canon has discontinued the inks for the IPF5000 and 5100, if any one knows of a source for a complete set in the US, I'd like to know. I could also switch to a 3rd party ink if there is a reputable one, again US. Cone if they did color would be perfect, I have live about 25 mi from them, but I think they are b&w only.

Cone does color. All available from Inkjet Mall... or contact directly.

I donated my (much smaller) 3800 to a local college and arranged for them to pick up, which they were happy to do, as I included a full set of Epson inks.

Jeff

vor einer Stunde schrieb Jeff S:

Cone does color. All available from Inkjet Mall... or contact directly.

I donated my (much smaller) 3800 to a local college and arranged for them to pick up, which they were happy to do, as I included a full set of Epson inks.

Jeff

I'll have to check if they do ink for the IPF5000, I'll go up there after this craziness is over. Same age as the 3800, my local college is Dartmouth, they don't look for give aways. There is a community college, but I don't think they have an art department. Thanks for the information on Cone.

3 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I'll have to check if they do ink for the IPF5000, I'll go up there after this craziness is over. Same age as the 3800, my local college is Dartmouth, they don't look for give aways. There is a community college, but I don't think they have an art department. Thanks for the information on Cone.

I’m only aware of Cone support for Epson, but worth contacting them about options. 

Jeff

On 4/10/2020 at 3:08 AM, Jeff S said:

I’m not familiar with this source, and don’t reside in UK, but if it’s representative of new ink costs, Epson wins again...

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/epson-surecolor-sc-p900-printer-1736385/

This indicates that the newer, smaller cartridges cost 76% of the older ones, while the cartridges provide 62.5% of the volume.  I’ll wait for B&H and other listings.

Jeff

Based upon the wex web site the new printer costs about 22% more than the current price of the P800 and the ink cartridges are about the same price as I paid for a set of 9 a few months ago.This represents a big hike in ink cost as the 80ml capacity is now 50ml.Also worth considering is "IF" the P 900 has had any major changes to the mechanics of the machine.A big attraction to me was that the P800 was similar mechanically to the 2 previous models both of which where mechanically very sound and reliable.Personally I would not dismiss the P800 and use the initial savings to help with the cost of Image Print.As always well worth looking at all the options.

5 minutes ago, BrianP said:

Based upon the wex web site the new printer costs about 22% more than the current price of the P800 and the ink cartridges are about the same price as I paid for a set of 9 a few months ago.This represents a big hike in ink cost as the 80ml capacity is now 50ml.Also worth considering is "IF" the P 900 has had any major changes to the mechanics of the machine.A big attraction to me was that the P800 was similar mechanically to the 2 previous models both of which where mechanically very sound and reliable.Personally I would not dismiss the P800 and use the initial savings to help with the cost of Image Print.As always well worth looking at all the options.

Looking at the spec of the P900 they are not listing a role feed attachment which could well be offered later.The one for the P800 is built like a tank and has been heavily discounted if bought originally with a new printer. Bear in mind that I am in the UK and we don't always have such generous rebate schemes as our American friends.

1 hour ago, BrianP said:

Looking at the spec of the P900 they are not listing a role feed attachment which could well be offered later.The one for the P800 is built like a tank and has been heavily discounted if bought originally with a new printer. Bear in mind that I am in the UK and we don't always have such generous rebate schemes as our American friends.

A roll attachment is optional with the P900, and the ASF has also apparently been improved according to the Northlight post I linked post 17. Not clear when  the roll attachment will be available.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-printer-news-updates-and-rumours/

And as I wrote, I’ll wait for trusted reviews regarding not only build quality and reliability, but to be aware of any roadblocks Epson might introduce in conjunction with using third party products.

Meanwhile I’m content to run one generation earlier versions of printer (P800), O/S (Mojave) and IP (10), at least until convinced, or forced, to change. Newer isn’t always better. But if print quality improves with the new machine/inks, without problems, then ink costs might be a worthy trade off.

Meanwhile, I think Deckard  made a good choice for now with the P800 (although I would have stuck with Epson inks).  Too bad there aren’t rebates across the pond.  The whole printer sales strategy in the US is to practically give away the machines to sell the inks, similar to razor/razor blade companies.  Wait five minutes and there’s another deal, sometimes both from Epson and the seller. Not sure why they don’t employ the same strategy there, despite any increased selling costs.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 2 weeks later...

Very good article on PhotoPXL.com about the features of the new P900/P700 by Kevin Rabar and his team.This will be followed with a hands on review when they get hold of a printer to test.Also linked to this is an interesting conversation with Dano Steinhardt ( Epson USA) covering these 2 printers which as always with Dano is entertaining .

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, Jeff S said:

This indicates that the newer, smaller cartridges cost 76% of the older ones, while the cartridges provide 62.5% of the volume.  I’ll wait for B&H and other listings.

Jeff

B&H prices confirm the higher relative ink costs for the P900 vs the P800.  At $58 for a typical P800 cartridge (80ml), the proportionate cost for a P900 cartridge (50ml) would be roughly $36... but instead it’s listed at $42.  Unless the P900 provides more efficient use of inks, buyers lose.

Jeff

I watched an interesting webinar yesterday done by Epson UK.

Some of the more interesting points are relevant to anyone thinking of changing from a P800 .

1 10 channel print head so instant change from mat to glossy black with no wasted ink (good)

2 The jet size is now smaller for better ink control and reduced ink usage ( pos good)

3 Epson recommend cleaning the the jets every 2/3 weeks to avoid clogging ( see point 2 )

4 The printer is smaller which will help some people.

5 The printer is a lot lighter which suggests a lot of metal components are now plastic or similar. The  P800 is very heavy if you have to move it,but the build quality is very good.

The two issues that would concern myself are potential jet clogging if the printer is not used on a regular basis and build quality.My views are probably influenced as I am a very happy user of a P800.I am possibly in the market for a printer for another address but right know would not be  in a hurry to buy a P900.

The above are just my initial thought and will not we everybody,s