Recommendations for printer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The biggest potential issues with print machines typically relate to feed problems, head clogging and overall reliability.  Of course print quality (blacks; colors and gamut; glossing, etc) and ink use/costs remain key.  

Epson mid-range machines vary from problematic (4900) to generally reliable (so far it seems, P800).  I always await reviews and trusted user reports before considering a switch.  The changes from the 3800 to 3880 to P800 were incremental, and based on a generally proven platform, so a move from the first to the last of these came with measured risk.  The platform changes from the P600/700 series to the P800/900 models, however, seem more drastic, so I’ll be in no rush to make a jump.  Reliability issues in particular take time to assess.... the clogging nightmares for many 4900 machines became apparent over a prolonged period.  Its replacement was a long time coming as Epson addressed the issue. 

Jeff

Hi guys some good info contained in this thread I have just upgraded my laptop to a mini Mac and teamed it with an eizo screen very happy. My printer an old Epson 2100 will run on the new system but Epson inks are no longer available so I have purchased the Epson P900 (P906 in aus) expected delivery mid to late July. The 2100 has been a great machine but availability of 3rd party inks has pushed me to upgrade I have been advised by Epson via r3seller that they will be supporting the new machine for at least next 10 years or so by that time I may be in the market to upgrade again. I will post an update when it arrives with ini all thoughts etc, but I have found that canned icc profiles from paper manufacturers do not yet appear on their respective websites here’s hoping.

ps good luck with the P800 I was originally looking at that machine but there are none available in Aus which kind of forced my hand.

cheers keith

• 5 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 7:52 AM, brobbins said:

I would like to buy a photo printer to start printing my photos at home. Many of the prints will be black and white photos, although some will be color photos.  I likely will not make prints larger than 8 inches by 10 inches. I have limited space for the printer, and will probably use the printer once or twice per month. I would be interested in recommendations for a printer that will not get clogged as a result of infrequent use and is unlikely to require much service. I will be using the printer with a Mac running Catalina. I have read about the Epson P400, P600 and P800 and the Canon Pro-10 and Pro-1000. They are capable of making larger prints than I need, but they seem to have the best reviews as printing black and white photos. If one exists, I would be interested in a smaller printer of otherwise comparable quality. Any recommendations or other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've ever done best stuff! On Offer Up for $25 I find a good HP color laser printer and have never looked back. I hadn't had to replace the toner cartridge for two years. But I did print a 1000 page manual, without problems. I do not use it too many times.

The ink did not only last but there were no problems with the printer itself. The software it created without bloatware was easy. One thing that 8 have found about laser printers is that they concentrate on enterprises, not on the average customer, and are thus much more dependable.

I'm pretty sure I've got a printer smoking contract. It was almost in new form. The owners had fled the country and didn't want to bear it. For around $300, I believe the printer retailed.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, priorzone said:

I have a Canon MG5650 printer. There was still some ink in Magenta but it was saying otherwise so I put in a new cartridge and although it's indicating full the magenta colour does not print
I tried cleaning and nozzle checks but all I achieve is using up ink but still no magenta although level goes down each time
I have had to change the settings to greyscale only to get half decent pictures
Could anyone recommend a solution or do I really need to buy a new printer?

Hi 

Your printer is pretty basic and with just three colour inks, albeit large supply, it may be time to spend $$$'yikes.

Which will mean being ripped of with inks, large footprint, clogging and temprementality.  My Epson R3000 inks are retail about Aus $59 per ink and there are 9 cartridges that whistle through like there's no tomorrow. But it does good prints in colour and B&W...usually I do A3+ but also anything down to postcard 6x4 size.

I've tried to get along with bulk after-market inks, and I totally wasted a year of printing and frustration churning out nasties which changed colour or looked wrong from the start.. Now i just accept printing is very expensive...just like it was in my darkroom... :blink:. I only use matched inks, and usually matched papers to my Epson now.

No need to print everything...after all who wants to look at them, except you and friends you want to force torture. Just how much vanity can a house full of walls hold?

Edited by david strachan

2 hours ago, david strachan said:

Hi 

Your printer is pretty basic and with just three colour inks, albeit large supply, it may be time to spend $$$'yikes.

Which will mean being ripped of with inks, large footprint, clogging and temprementality.  My Epson R3000 inks are retail about Aus $59 per ink and there are 9 cartridges that whistle through like there's no tomorrow. But it does good prints in colour and B&W...usually I do A3+ but also anything down to postcard 6x4 size.

I've tried to get along with bulk after-market inks, and I totally wasted a year of printing and frustration churning out nasties which changed colour or looked wrong from the start.. Now i just accept printing is very expensive...just like it was in my darkroom... :blink:. I only use matched inks, and usually matched papers to my Epson now.

No need to print everything...after all who wants to look at them, except you and friends you want to force torture. Just how much vanity can a house full of walls hold?

The R3000 ink cartridges are only 25.9ml, and the machine uses older technology.  My P800 uses 80ml cartridges (unfortunately downsized to 50ml in the P900), but with modern tech and more than 20% less costly per ml, before considering print efficiency. I experience no clogs even with intermittent printing.

There are many ways to experience prints without framing, and for me there aren’t that many pics per year that I consider frame worthy anyway. But I still enjoy creating portfolio binders, sequencing work prints for various projects or exhibits, showing to friends and fellow photographers, etc.  And I like to rotate and replace the prints that I do frame and hang to keep the work fresh. I also have some modest shelving in my work room (with mat cutter, portfolio drawers, etc) to place work prints in order to evaluate over time.  Habits from darkroom days remain.

Beats boring friends with online pic sharing. Phone pics suffice quality-wise for that.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

My P800 uses 80ml cartridges (unfortunately downsized to 50ml in the P900), but with modern tech and more than 20% less costly per ml, before considering print efficiency. I experience no clogs even with intermittent printing

Same for me - I don't think I've had any clogging since switching from the R3000 to the P800.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/6/2022 at 3:49 AM, david strachan said:

Hi 

Not much of that with my Epson XP15000

On 4/22/2020 at 6:35 AM, DaveNC said:

I purchased the Canon  PIXMA PRO-100 recently and I am very satisfied with it.  It replaced the Epson 3880 that I used for years.  I got it for around $200 net with the Canon discount.

And the Pro-100 makes very good prints with very little skill required. 

My wife uses a Canon PIXMA Pro-200 to make her 12x12 digital scrapbook pages as well as prints to hang on the wall.  We are quite happy with the results.  She has only printed on Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte and only color prints to date.  Can't speak as to it may be on glossy paper or for B&W prints.  13x19 borderless prints come out quite nice.

The PIXMA Pro-200 replaced a very old Epson R1800 that needed a head replacement.

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, stephen.w said:

Hi all,

An old thread, but does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with the Epson P900? 

Thanks in advance

Jim Doyle of Shades of Paper has told me this is a good printer and I’ve been tempted to buy one, but my 3880 is still chugging along without a hitch, so I am waiting.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, erudolph said:

Jim Doyle of Shades of Paper has told me this is a good printer and I’ve been tempted to buy one, but my 3880 is still chugging along without a hitch, so I am waiting.

Meanwhile you have 80ml ink cartridges, versus 50ml for the P900.  On the other hand, switching black inks would be easier and more economical with the new machine.  

I’m sticking with the P800 for now.  If it dies, I’ll consider both the P900 (haven’t read about complaints) and the Canon Pro 1000.  Both are compatible with ImagePrint, a key component in my print workflow.

Jeff