Do we finally have a new Monochrome - Yes I think so...

M10Alpine

8 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

I see your logic there but as much as I love the MM1, it is fiddly compared to the M10 line. I like you was not enamored by the M246.

I am hoping that because this sensor in the MM3 is developed solely for the M10M that it will be what the M246 should have been.

This is a good question as there have been numerous MM1 bodies with the new sensor and under 5,000 actuations for sale on forums and not selling at $3,000.00. So juts how much better is the new M10M for +5,000 as that would almost get you a nice used Leica F1 Noctilux. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insideline said:

This is a good question as there have been numerous MM1 bodies with the new sensor and under 5,000 actuations for sale on forums and not selling at $3,000.00. So juts how much better is the new M10M for +5,000 as that would almost get you a nice used Leica F1 Noctilux. 

The upside of that is that there are worse cameras to be"stuck" with. I expect the same thing will happen to M10 values when the M10R is released. All earlier versions will suffer a big drop in used value. I also wouldn't be particularly upset to have to keep my standard M10 for that reason. It's a super camera.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dkmoore said:

I see your logic there but as much as I love the MM1, it is fiddly compared to the M10 line. I like you was not enamored by the M246.

I am hoping that because this sensor in the MM3 is developed solely for the M10M that it will be what the M246 should have been.

I’m in a similar situation, I have a M10P and a low actuations silver MM1.  I too love the MM1 but sometimes find it fiddly when compared to the M10. I sold my original Monochrom and upgraded to the 246, I soon went back to the MM1. I am possibly going to trade or sell privately the MM1 along with a .95 Noctilux to balance the books against the M10M. What interests me too is a sensor that has possibly been developed solely for the M10M. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Don't price it too low. I might be doing the same thing with my low actuation silver MM1. ;)

I just sold mine for $3200. Had wanted to sell it higher but no idea what the market will do once M10M launches. Chances are the price will level out around $3k for black and slightly higher for silver. The camera is a cult classic in my opinion and therefore I believe prices will remain somewhat stable. 

Leica Miami has a black one listed for $4k which seems a bit high but they are a reputable (awesome) dealer and so they can get a bit more for gear. 

• Thanks 1

It's the right time for those of us who initially failed to board the MM1, to do so now, while people offload to upgrade to the M10M.

Accordingly, I just bought an MM1 on Monday, to pair up with my newly bought M9P.  I figured I will bunker myself in the M9 generation.  I have a darkroom and am mainly a film user, but see the benefits of digital, and dislike the hybrid workflow:  inkjet for the MM1 and wet baryta for the M3, is what I say.  My days of scanning negs are over.

Anyway my MM1 is pristine, 4.5k shutter count, paperwork for 2018 sensor, looks and feels effectively as new, 2 batteries, boxed:  £2800 from Red Dot.

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

Leica Miami has a black one listed for $4k which seems a bit high but they are a reputable (awesome) dealer and so they can get a bit more for gear. 

This likely reflects a 10% bump in prices due to the tariff impact on new products. I recently got a great deal on a mint used SL zoom from Josh, and he said if I had waited until after the new year, used inventory would be bumped 10% to help protect used/trade-in values relative to new gear.

Jeff

56 minutes ago, M9reno said:

It's the right time for those of us who initially failed to board the MM1, to do so now, while people offload to upgrade to the M10M.

Accordingly, I just bought an MM1 on Monday, to pair up with my newly bought M9P.  I figured I will bunker myself in the M9 generation.  I have a darkroom and am mainly a film user, but see the benefits of digital, and dislike the hybrid workflow:  inkjet for the MM1 and wet baryta for the M3, is what I say.  My days of scanning negs are over.

Anyway my MM1 is pristine, 4.5k shutter count, paperwork for 2018 sensor, looks and feels effectively as new, 2 batteries, boxed:  £2800 from Red Dot.

Exactly. I tried to deviate from my motto “AAA or DDD, don’t mix up” a few years ago, but I did not succeed. Actually I’m a poor scanner too.

• Like 1

Another leaked photo - now of the camera‘s top: https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/14/leica-m10-monochrom-top-view-picture-reveals-a-new-12500-iso-setting-new-iso-range-160-100000.aspx/#more-62753

I wonder whether ISO 160 is the real base ISO or just a pulled one with ISO 400 as base.

There was the same discussion about the M10 with ISO 100 and it took long until Leica conceded that this was a pulled value and the base was ISO 200 changing Auto ISO accordingly.

34 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Another leaked photo - now of the camera‘s top: https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/14/leica-m10-monochrom-top-view-picture-reveals-a-new-12500-iso-setting-new-iso-range-160-100000.aspx/#more-62753

I wonder whether ISO 160 is the real base ISO or just a pulled one with ISO 400 as base.

There was the same discussion about the M10 with ISO 100 and it took long until Leica conceded that this was a pulled value and the base was ISO 200 changing Auto ISO accordingly.

Most likely will be a somewhat pull option but at least we have it in a pinch. 

11 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

M10M has a maestro 2 processor?   does the M10 have any lag? I know my old M9 was very sloooooooow 

I’ve not hit the buffer with my M10 in well over 3 years of use but I don’t shoot in continuous. 

there really isn’t any lag accept start up time when you turn the camera on or when it wakes up from sleep mode but still faster than M9. 

I did however hit the buffer with the M9 and M9M but otherwise it isn’t an overly slow camera in general/non-continuous modes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, james.liam said:

At RFF all various and sundries there were blathering endlessly about the flat screw. 

🙄

I'm not on that forum or I'd probably have been one of them. Who could possibly think a black screw head looks better than the red dot so many of us have loved over many decades? First thing I'll do with mine is try to figure out a way to cover that screw with the Leica red dot.

I'm going to call my friend Don Goldberg (DAG) and suggest he stock up on some red dot decals.

Edited by fotografr
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Who could possibly think a black screw head looks better than the red dot so many of us have loved over many decades? 

Maybe those who paid a premium for the M9-P, and other variants.  🙂

Much discussion here about at least getting the groove orientation vertical/consistent.

Jeff

2 hours ago, james.liam said:

Spoke with my reliable dealer and he says it’s list will be $8300 to start.

At RFF all various and sundries there were blathering endlessly about the flat screw. 
🙄

I was told the same. did your dealer know if they would have the camera available on launch day? My contacts were not sure, which leads me to believe not.