Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for a thumb support for my Q2; the two best choices seem to be the Leica Q2 Thumb Support #19543 ($225 USD) and the Match Technical Thumbs Up Grip #EP-LQ2 ($143 USD).

The Leica #19543 looks like it is a bit smaller and perhaps less clunky than the Match Technical #EP-LQ2, although it is hard to really tell from the photos I see online.  There are other thumb supports that have sort of a hinge in the middle of them, allowing them to be moved but I like the stability and solid construction that the one piece thumb supports like the #19543 and the #EP-LQ2 offer.  

There is a price difference of $82 USD between the two which is a secondary concern; I am interested in getting the best thumb support, not the cheapest.  After much thought, I'm beginning to wonder if the Leica thumb support is actually $82 USD better than the Match Technical thumb support, and if the Match Technical is really that much larger than the Leica thumb support.

If you have used either (or both) of these thumb supports, hearing your insights would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

I have the Match Technical one. I've not tried the Leica, but I suspect it's a little easier to press the crop selection button on it, than on the Thumbs Up. But otherwise I am quite happy with it.

I tried to talk Match Technical into making a version with a cold shoe, like they do with the M, but they decided not so. So if I want to use my optical viewfinder, the thumb grip has to come off.

• Thanks 1

I had the Thumbs-Up for my Q and it worked but was a bit small
Then i used the same on the Q2 (as Q" was not available) and it worked, but did not align perfectly (a file would have fixed that)
About 2 months ago i finally bought the LEICA one for the Q2 and it's bigger and obviously fit perfect.
Yes, the LEICA one is a expensive part but we should be used to that ...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot about the Thumbie - we don't see those around much and there is apparently not a website where you can buy them.

La Vida Leica has a story about them https://lavidaleica.com/content/m8m9-thumbie and I was able to get Steve's email address from the story.  Waiting to hear from him on whether he has a Thumbie that fits the Q2.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update

I got an email back from Steve who makes the Thumbies.  Unfortunately, he does not make one for the Q2 and probably won't be making one in the future.  His reasoning is that there is not enough of a market for Q2 Thumbies to cover the startup cost of producing them. 

Bummer... 🙁

• Thanks 1

I was never fond of this thumb support idea, but my Q2 shipped with the one from Match Technical. I have to say it is very well made and now a permanent part of my Q2. Haven't tried any other brand. The camera also came with the rubber cap from Match Technical which I prefer to the metal one Leica supplied by Leica.

• Like 1

I have had the Match Technical EP-LQ2 mounted on my camera for a couple of days now and I cannot recommend it too highly - it is outstanding.  Fit and finish are excellent; it mounts on the hot shoe securely with no slop or play.  An added bonus is that it is $82 USD less costly than the Leica version. 

I previously added the handgrip made by Leica (#19540) onto my Q2.  Between these two accessories, the ergonomics of the Q2 has been improved by light years.  These two added to your Q2 will give you an extremely secure and firm grip on the camera.

This little jewel is a must have:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1475106-REG/match_technical_ep_lq3_ep_lq2_thumbs_up_grip.html

• Like 3

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Herr Barnack:

I previously added the handgrip made by Leica (#19540) onto my Q2.  Between these two accessories, the ergonomics of the Q2 has been improved by light years.  These two added to your Q2 will give you an extremely secure and firm grip on the camera.

Me too, is use handgrip and thumb support on my Q2 and that is how it works for me.
In the last 12 years i never used the camera strap, i just hold the camera in my hand, also walking, strolling, etc, but the last ones where all Nikon DSLR with the built-in handgrip.
This how it works for me and i am very glad that the handgrip and thumb rest give me a even better grip.

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 10:39 AM, ravinj said:

I was never fond of this thumb support idea, but my Q2 shipped with the one from Match Technical. I have to say it is very well made and now a permanent part of my Q2. Haven't tried any other brand. The camera also came with the rubber cap from Match Technical which I prefer to the metal one Leica supplied by Leica.

Here, here. Just bought a Q-P (I'll confess I bought it over the Q2 for the cool finish and the unique, brown strap - yes I'm serious) and i have the Match Technical thumbs up and the rubber cap. One of the true design failures in my opinion of the Qs is that lens cap. It feels like you're scraping the finish of the lens barrel when you put it on. Don't get me started on the stupid way Leica did the hood on the Q. The Match Technical rubber cap is terrific - just too pricey for what it is. It would be a steal at $30.

FYI, the MT version is brass. It is heftier than the Leica version (I have the Leica thumb support on my CL). I believe the Leica is aluminum (at least it feels like it).

Edited by crf59
added some info
  • Thanks 1

IMHO, the lens cap is the Q2's one fault - the design would have worked if it had been made of silicone rubber and sized just a bit smaller than the diameter of the lens hood, like the Match Technical Lens Cap.  The lens hood is all good IMO.  I would like to have a copy of the M/T lens cap; I just don't want to cough up $50 for it (but in the end, I probably will). 

The Q2 is nearly perfect; given that, the botched lens cap design is a minor annoyance that I can live with, particularly since there are reasonably priced fixes such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00150YULY/ref=twister_B074NH3YBL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&coliid=I2RPYXB0GCI7HK&colid=3IYDRWLR6C3SK

and https://www.amazon.com/WALKTREE-Waterproof-Dustproof-Replacement-60mm-110mm/dp/B07MXVLK7L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

vor einer Stunde schrieb Herr Barnack:

MHO, the lens cap is the Q2's one fault

true, but also on the Q, the one i had suffered the same problem, lens cap too loose and fixed it with the 1 cent fix using gaffer tape.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Herr Barnack:

the design would have worked if it had been made of silicone rubber and sized just a bit smaller than the diameter of the lens hood

Also true, but this would have offended the spotless german engeneering used eye of someone who fork out 5 grand fir the Q2.
I am still wondering why the in micromilimeter thinking german engineers are not able to have build a lens cap who can have about a10th millimeter production difference.

The good part of the medal is that the silicone cap is not expensive ...

Chris

Hate to admit it here on this forum, but I bought an inexpensive <$50 thumb rest from Amazon for my Q2. I have the Match Technical thumbs up devices on my Fuji X Pro 2 bodies, so I am aware of how great the heavy brass feels and looks. The thumb rest I got from Amazon appears to be aluminum, but it fits properly and works fine. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Leica Q2 Thumb Support yesterday after being on a B&H waitlist forever.  I had tried some others with my Q and didn't care for them, but the Leica one - stupidly expensive - is very nice, although I think it is not so necessary when using a grip case like the LIMs or even the Q2 Leica grip (strangely cheaper than the thumb support even though there's way more to it.).  LIMs case is still my favorite Q2 accessory and a great value.

The Leica Q2 Thumb is very light weight and integrates perfectly with the camera, so there's that.

Before i got my Q2 thumb suppoert i used the one i got with the Q.
It worked well, only problem was a small gap on the halfmoonshaped part where the thumbrest sit on the camera.
I could had use a file and grind it off a bit but finally i got for the original thumb support and it fit perfectly.

As i never use a camera strap i need the thumb support and the grip to have a comfortable and stable grip on my baby

Chris

I recently received the Leica 19-543 Thumb Support 

It fits nicely and feels great to hold.  The button for cropping is still usable.  I have never tried the Match Technical unit, so unable to compare. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Those of you who are thinking of the Leica vs the Match Technical, be aware that the Leica one is longer and extends further laterally (to the right) than the MT one. This has the following implications:

1. The Leica one will not play nicely with some half cases; there will be some overlapping.

2. With the Leica one, the actual thumb rest is more lateral than with the MT one.

I much prefer the thumb location of the MT one, but I'm sure others will prefer the Leica. There is a noticeable ergonomic difference between the two. 

• Like 2