SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To my knowledge, we have several camera companies that work with Leica, but no stores that serve as dealers and certainly no red and black Leica Store with official status.  I've only bought Leica stuff while traveling, and when I have needed repairs, I find it is easier to deal directly with Wetzlar.  The various intermediaries here have been careful to charge me for the same or higher costs than I would incur by working directly, and have not added any service or function that I could discern.

• Like 2

I am in the same boat as Scott. No official Leica store here, though there is one that sells Leicas. Distribution is handled through Denmark. I have dealt directly over the last five years or more and had a positive experience with the service of Leica stores I have dealt with in four countries, and direct service via Wetzlar has always been easy, if at times a bit lengthy (as is well known).

12 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Leica Stores in SG have no clue on the actual shipment dates and exact contents before physically receiving them

Well, when I feed the ducks I always carefully look if everyone gets a fair chance to grab a bite.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Well, when I feed the ducks I always carefully look if everyone gets a fair chance to grab a bite.

I don't often look to the LUF for philosophy, but that's wonderful, Otto.

One real question about Leica in the current moment is: how do they handle the distribution across continents with a) Leica Stores, b) Leica boutiques and c) authorized dealers. For a long time, as we waited patiently for the M9, or the M240, those of us in the States always suspected Europe was taken care of first.

The first Leica Store in the US (DC, where I live) opened in May 2012, and David Farkas opened the Leica Store Miami soon thereafter. It always seemed each store received one or two of the cameras in the first wave, and everyone else caught up soon thereafter. But then Leica began opening numerous stores -- in China, in Vegas, around the world.

Back to Otto's nice line: I think with certified hits like the Q2, Leica does make an effort to distribute one or two each across the board as quickly as possible. It seems like our friends in Australia and other farther points from Germany get things a little slower, though the effort to push shipments to Singapore and Asian markets should include them too.

I do know that some have arrived in the US because I'll pick up mine later today. But I suspect this will be the case in many cities -- at least one or two ducks will get a bite, and so forth and so on as the assembly line hand-makes more until the supply and demand come into equilibrium.

28 minutes ago, maqroll said:

You win the prize!  It has also by now appeared at de.leica-camera.com and us.leica-camera.com -- the usual places.  But of course first seen in Singapore.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do wonder / hope that the production of SL2s were initially targetted at a Sept. launch, and teh delay was down to firmware.

If that is the case, then maybe a bigger quantity available initially.

Apparently I am no.4 on the pre-order list that my chosen (UK) dealer has, and they were expecting 3 in the next few days, whether that changes to 4 or someone drops out I have no idea. I'll just wait for the call.

John

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

BTW, in the quickstart guide it suggests that you use FOTOS 2.0 to initialize your SL2.  Would someone please try that and report back?  That's getting deeper inside the camera than Fotos does with the SL

Yes this is correct. You have the option to do this. You can also set up just via the menu usual way. You can also set the camera to sync its time with your phone via the app. It seems Leica really want to guide us towards this new app from the get go.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Artin said:

I picked mine up 2 hours ago , took it out of the Box put a lens on it and kept it in my hands the whole drive home 

wow does it ever feel nice I think it is the only one in Canada at this moment 

Pleased you got home safely driving like that!😀

4 hours ago, johnbuckley said:

I don't often look to the LUF for philosophy, but that's wonderful, Otto.

One real question about Leica in the current moment is: how do they handle the distribution across continents with a) Leica Stores, b) Leica boutiques and c) authorized dealers. For a long time, as we waited patiently for the M9, or the M240, those of us in the States always suspected Europe was taken care of first.

The first Leica Store in the US (DC, where I live) opened in May 2012, and David Farkas opened the Leica Store Miami soon thereafter. It always seemed each store received one or two of the cameras in the first wave, and everyone else caught up soon thereafter. But then Leica began opening numerous stores -- in China, in Vegas, around the world.

Back to Otto's nice line: I think with certified hits like the Q2, Leica does make an effort to distribute one or two each across the board as quickly as possible. It seems like our friends in Australia and other farther points from Germany get things a little slower, though the effort to push shipments to Singapore and Asian markets should include them too.

I do know that some have arrived in the US because I'll pick up mine later today. But I suspect this will be the case in many cities -- at least one or two ducks will get a bite, and so forth and so on as the assembly line hand-makes more until the supply and demand come into equilibrium.

I know my Leica dealer from 1983 on, started with Nikon btw, later on he became a Leica certified etc. So I’m a completely different duck. My dealer calls me when he knows a ship comes in with something for me. He didn’t call me for the SL2, not because I told him that I’m not interested, but because who knows very well what I like in general and what's not exactly for me. I’m quite sure he called other customers who sort of need an SL2 asap. Is this fair distribution? Yes, I think so, after many years of customer loyalty, some ducks are given better chances. If however, they do know in my country what’s in the ship and they don’t know it in Singapore, that would not be very fair. But I wonder whether the Leica Store in Singapore has told Leica how many customers are on the waiting list.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NRKstudio said:

Just an update to the Leica SL2 preorder people: I just bought an SL2 off of the Leica USA page without a preorder, deposit, or private link. I purchased it around 10am Central and it shipped about 30 minutes later. Good source of SL2's if you all are interested.

I looked at the site this morning, around 9 am CST, and it had the camera listed as back-ordered.