SL2 Availability

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread is for those of us who are not first in line or lucky enough to be among the half dozen currently taking either late pre-production or early pre-embargo SL2s outside and posting in the SL2 image thread...  Report sightings of early arrivals in the stores here.  Quantities that have been delivered?  And there is a prize for the first person who spots the instruction manual online and posts a link.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My Dealer was told to expect delivery date of 3 units on 25/11.... which suggests 21/11 is the date Leica will ship them generally and they will be in transit over the weekend. 

I have no doubt the 'official' Leica owned Stores will all have stock to release on the 'release' date of 21/11 and have got theirs already. 

I presume the delivery pecking order is: Leica Stores > Leica Boutiques >Leica Authorised Dealers.

My quick look indicates 80+ Leica Stores, the same number of Boutiques, and about 3x as many authorised dealers. 

A thousand SL's should give every Store and Boutique 3-4 on day 1 and the rest of the dealers 1 or 2. I get the impression the initial release is going to be significantly larger than previous meagre supplies ..... :) .... we will see soon ....

My dealer too (maybe the same !): they expect 3 units on the 25th and they are not Leica boutique. That dealer is in England. Here in Singapore, where I am at the moment, I think the picture sounds mixed - undoubtedly there will be some cameras but one dealer (not a Leica store I hasten to add) who had a  demo camera in for customers to try out over the weekend (before it went to another store in Indonesia he told me) does not expect stock for about 3 weeks and has a waiting list.

Edited by Mr WelshB
spelling

In the US all shipments first go through Leica USA, and are then parceled out.  I envision "the containers" coming off some large Lufthansa 747.  It must be quite like Christmas in Allendale when the shipment comes in. 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I looked up the size of an airline container.  If a single boxed SL2 is about 20 x 20 x 15 cm, you can get about 60 of them in a single container with minimal padding.  That's gonna take a LOT of containers.  

They could probably fill a Lufthansa 777F with the things and be done with it. Good thing Henry Hill isn't around now.

Glazer's has a SL2 in the case in their Leica Boutique section. I think it's the demo, though.

Very surprisingly my dealer here in Singapore called at 4.30pm and said there is an SL2 waiting for me in store tomorrow! On Saturday he had said he doubted that I’d see one for a few weeks. I think that’s called under promising and over delivering!😀😀😀Great news. Now very much looking forward to tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mr WelshB said:

Very surprisingly my dealer here in Singapore called at 4.30pm and said there is an SL2 waiting for me in store tomorrow! On Saturday he had said he doubted that I’d see one for a few weeks. I think that’s called under promising and over delivering!😀😀😀Great news. Now very much looking forward to tomorrow

Well you’re the fortunate few to take delivery on 1st shipment. I think the total number of SL2 designated to SG is more than they had anticipated. My confirmation call also came at about that hour where earlier in the morning there was yet shipment arrival when I checked with Leica Store Singapore then. Btw the sales of SL2 was overwhelming over the past one week. So I am not surprised that the backlog may take a while to clear for those preorder down the list as Leica produce and send their camera in batches.

23 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

How do you know?

I’m not certain worldwide but in Singapore I was told by the friendly folks of Leica Store. I personally met quite a few of the ‘commuted buyers’ here. Or more specifically a room full of ‘SL2 suckers” (that was what we address ourselves openly during the meet up session arranged by Leica).

Edited by sillbeers15

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I wonder if making it a bundle avoids the tariff on German lenses that Trump has imposed.  Hmmm?  After all, now it is a camera  with its kit lens, not just a lens.

I was told that is the specific reason.