SL2 SD card compatibility list?

jrp

The SanDisk Extreme Pro series and the Sony G-Series UHS-II cards should work well. I use the 32GB versions in my SL, and they're good for about 650 RAW files - the SL2 would probably cut that in half. I've heard the Prograde cards are quite good (the company is run by the folks who ran Micron's Lexar memory card operation, before it was sold to a Chinese manufacturer) but are a little hard to find. This site https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/ runs tests on the new cards and readers as they come out. It also has some compatability info for specific cameras, but I don't think they've ever done that for a Leica camera.

Following a recommendation of a German vlogger who tested UHS II cards on a Q2 I have purchased Lexars UHS II 1667 (250mb/s) to use with SL2. Costs are approx 48€ for the 128GB card. Since the transfer speed is not that different to the 300mb/s this is real value for money for me. 

5 hours ago, jrp said:

That does sound like a good deal.

The SanDisk ranges are hard to assess as they seem to use the same names for successive products. 

That they do. The current Extreme Pro clocks in at 300MB/s (read speed) as does the Sony G-series. Price for each in the US is around $60 for the 32MB version; if you're in the UK/Europe, the prices are quite a bit higher.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Any experience, or cautions, by those  using older UHS-I cards (particularly if not shooting in fast, continuous mode and no video)?

Jeff

For test shooting I used UHS-I SD Cards from SanDisk (64GB Extreme Pro SDXC) , and Amplim (128GB Micro SD SDXC V30).  

No issues with stills.  I did not try video or 20fps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, jrp said:

Perhaps I should put the question the other way around?  Are there any UHS II cards that have problems with the SL2?

I recently installed a pair of Lexar UHS II 1667 (250mb/s) 128GB - there are no problems with shooting, but the Leica FOTOS App no longer seems to be able to read any images.  Not a major issue, but i did occasionally use it for a quick preview/post when out and about.

On 11/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, hofo100 said:

Following a recommendation of a German vlogger who tested UHS II cards on a Q2 I have purchased Lexars UHS II 1667 (250mb/s) to use with SL2. Costs are approx 48€ for the 128GB card. Since the transfer speed is not that different to the 300mb/s this is real value for money for me. 

That is no longer true for the new q2 Firmware, the speed is 50% better. better get faster cards