lens hood cap dimensions

kb7001

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an older f/2  asph 35mm summicron lens.  I have lost the rubbery lens hood cap.  Seems it's not made anymore.   There is cap 

Leica Lens Hood Cover for 35mm & 50mm f/2.5 Hood

for a different lens which may fit my lens hood.  Unfortunately I cannot find the inside dimensions of the rim.  Do any of you own this thing and could you put those dimensions on your reply here?

Sorry to tell you that the hood cap #14043 for hood #12526 can not be purchase from Leica anymore.

Just try to help you, I've put the lens cap #14476 for Summarit-M 2.5/35mm or 50mm on one of my 12526 hood.

It can be put on, but there is a gap ( 3 to 4 millimeters) at the bottom.

This cap #14476 can be used as emergency on the #12526 hood, but it will not stay in place

or you can custom cut it to adapt the formats.

Edited by a.noctilux

It appears from your reply that this cap, tho slightly too big, will fit over the hood.  (I was worried it might be too small.)  I think I can modify it slightly by adding a strip of tape (I have some non oozy tape ) on the inside of the rim.   Then I would get one of those cap keepers on a string thing.  I could put a clear filter on the lens to protect it but that diminishes the quality a little of this very expensive lens. 

All you will get is a better chance to loose another cap if you ask me. The hood itself provides a good protection already, did you think of putting an UVa or protective filter instead of the hood cap eventually? Just trying to help as i don't like filters and my hood caps remain in the box personally. 

2 hours ago, kb7001 said:

I have an older f/2  asph 35mm summicron lens.  I have lost the rubbery lens hood cap. ...

Welcome to the club !!! As a frequent surfer of the Forum, I can assure that you (and me) are not the only ones….  I think is a cap deserving the highest rank of "lost"... :P

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 14476 for the 1:2.5/35 Summarit has another form, broader at the top. So it doesn‘t fit a hood which needs the 14043. The 14043 also doesn‘t fit the Summarit hood: it‘s too large by a whisker and won‘t hold. Better than trying the Summarit cap would be to search for the original 14043. Perhaps some dealers have some drawers...

Edited by UliWer

I've given up.  It is true that the hood itself does offer some protection and I do have a high quality uv filter which I may or may not use. I don't like filters either.

How necessary is the hood?  I still have the lens cap so that if I remove the hood then I can put on the lens cap, but switching back and forth is nuisance.  Under cloudy skies one ought not to need the hood. 

6 hours ago, kb7001 said:

How necessary is the hood?  I still have the lens cap so that if I remove the hood then I can put on the lens cap, but switching back and forth is nuisance.  Under cloudy skies one ought not to need the hood.

The 35/2 asph is not flare free and don't forget the mechanical protection of your lens. Believe me i've been using that very hood or a similar one for 30+ years on both 35/2 v4 and 35/2 asph, also on the 28/2.8 asph. It is rather ugly but it does its job. Just take care to not grab your lens by the hood.