Telephoto for Safari? Panasonic 70-200 w 2x vs. Leica 90-280

ropo54

I was in the Mara for a couple of weeks back in 1988. It was a fantastic place. Just three or four lodges and camps, few people. Nowadays I will only stop there for a couple of days for instance near Leopard’s Gorge. The Eastern part is a nightmare of white minivans. 

11 hours ago, ropo54 said:

Will follow this suggestion (hoping that covid does not derail plans again).  Thanks, Rob

Rob, You won't go wrong with the 150-600mm.

I've just returned from 3 week safari in SA & Tanzania, I'm very happy with the Sigma lens. When looking randomly at some of my images, it's sometimes difficult to tell which were shot with Sigma 150-600mm & which were with the Leica VE 90-280mm L (an outstanding lens that I really like & enjoy using for wildlife. As I've repeated ad nauseam, it's unfortunately too short for serious bird photography).

Here's a shot of a Baboon relaxing on a sheer cliff face @ sunset. SL2-S & Sigma 150-600mm @ 590mm  -overall IQ, colour & sharpness are all outstanding. 

(please click on image for better res.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, michali said:

Rob, You won't go wrong with the 150-600mm.

I've just returned from 3 week safari in SA & Tanzania, I'm very happy with the Sigma lens. When looking randomly at some of my images, it's sometimes difficult to tell which were shot with Sigma 150-600mm & which were with the Leica VE 90-280mm L (an outstanding lens that I really like & enjoy using for wildlife. As I've repeated ad nauseam, it's unfortunately too short for serious bird photography).

Here's a shot of a Baboon relaxing on a sheer cliff face @ sunset. SL2-S & Sigma 150-600mm @ 590mm  -overall IQ, colour & sharpness are all outstanding. 

Thanks, Mike.  That's good to hear about the Sigma 150-600. (Wonderful shot of the baboon, btw).

Now, if you can just make certain that covid does not throttle our plans . . . !

Happy Holidays and appreciate all of your help.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So, I'm under 60 days to our trip to S. Africa Capetown, Robben Island, Victoria Falls and Kruger.

I'm leaning towards the SL 90-280 on the SL as it is less cumbersome compared to the Sigma 150-600, and the sense I get is that there will be many more opportunities to be close to the animals (at Kruger) so that the 90-150 range might be more opportune as compared to the 280-600 range.  Does this make sense?

I'm still wanting to take my S 007 with the S 30-90, or  S 70 or S100,  or the S 120 or 180. 

And, finally, perhaps the newly released Sigma 16-28 f2.8 (L mount).

We will be traveling between Sept 4-18.

Any  further thoughts, tips or suggestions?  Thanks, Rob

11 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

So, I'm under 60 days to our trip to S. Africa Capetown, Robben Island, Victoria Falls and Kruger.

I'm leaning towards the SL 90-280 on the SL as it is less cumbersome compared to the Sigma 150-600, and the sense I get is that there will be many more opportunities to be close to the animals (at Kruger) so that the 90-150 range might be more opportune as compared to the 280-600 range.  Does this make sense?

I'm still wanting to take my S 007 with the S 30-90, or  S 70 or S100,  or the S 120 or 180. 

Just one thought from me Rob if you 're thinking just the 90-280, do you still have a TL or CL body for a bit of extra reach, neither body would take up much room in a bag.

Sure you will have an amazing time anyway, enjoy!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Just one thought from me Rob if you 're thinking just the 90-280, do you still have a TL or CL body for a bit of extra reach, neither body would take up much room in a bag.

Sure you will have an amazing time anyway, enjoy!

Yes, Jayne, thanks; for sure, the CL is the practical solution to a  lot of my issues.  

I'm still  stubbornly enamored with the thought of taking S 007 so am trying to figure out how to pare down.  (FWIW, the S007 has very long battery life and is weather sealed).

Rob

• Like 1

Am 8.7.2022 um 14:52 schrieb ropo54:

I'm leaning towards the SL 90-280 on the SL

Lumix 70-300mm and the macro 1:2 option is included... the Sigma 16-28mm is a wonderful lens 👌 

• Like 1

Panasonic 70-300.  Sl2s

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:52 PM, ropo54 said:

On 7/8/2022 at 3:23 PM, ropo54 said:

Yes, Jayne, thanks; for sure, the CL is the practical solution to a  lot of my issues.  

I'm still  stubbornly enamored with the thought of taking S 007 so am trying to figure out how to pare down.  (FWIW, the S007 has very long battery life and is weather sealed).

Rob

Hi Rob-The 90-280mm will be fine for general wildlife, and yes you will get quite close to animals. The main reason for taking the 150-600mm is for birding, if birding's not high on your list, then you'll be fine with the VE 90-280mm. The 16-28mm will be great for landscapes.

I'm currently on a safari in Tanzania (birding's not a priority for this trip) and I have only 2 lenses with me VE24-90mm & VE90-280mm with the SL2 & SL2-S. 

As for the S007 I don't think that you'll get the use that you expect out of it. Sept. is the start of spring here and still very dry, so weather sealing's not an issue. My advice is to go with the SL & CL as Jayne suggests. Also a good pair of binoculars in the range of 8x40 or 10x40 is a must!

Please feel free to message me if there's anything you need to know or extra advice you may need. It may take a day or 2 to reply as I'm in & out of comms.

Best,

Mike

Here's an image with the CL & VE90-280mm take after last light on an overcast grey evening-

• Like 9

2 hours ago, michali said:

Hi Rob-The 90-280mm will be fine for general wildlife, and yes you will get quite close to animals. The main reason for taking the 150-600mm is for birding, if birding's not high on your list, then you'll be fine with the VE 90-280mm. The 16-28mm will be great for landscapes.

I'm currently on a safari in Tanzania (birding's not a priority for this trip) and I have only 2 lenses with me VE24-90mm & VE90-280mm with the SL2 & SL2-S. 

As for the S007 I don't think that you'll get the use that you expect out of it. Sept. is the start of spring here and still very dry, so weather sealing's not an issue. My advice is to go with the SL & CL as Jayne suggests. Also a good pair of binoculars in the range of 8x40 or 10x40 is a must!

Please feel free to message me if there's anything you need to know or extra advice you may need. It may take a day or 2 to reply as I'm in & out of comms.

Best,

Mike

Here's an image with the CL & VE90-280mm take after last light on an overcast grey evening-

Thanks, Mike.  (Yes, birding is not a priority for me).  

I'll reach out to you privately in the next month or so with some fine tuned  more generalized questions regarding the trip.

Regards, Rob

• Like 2

Salve, io ho comprato prima un 70 200 2,8 lumix e devo dire che è un buon obiettivo, ma poi ho provato il 90 280 decisamente migliore!!! Ne ho trovato uno usato quasi nuovo, 

Con questo obiettivo e la SL2s non uso duplicatori ma metto il sensore in APS C e mi ritrovo un 420 sempre a f4 con risultati fantastici!!! Io comprerei il Leica 90 280!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm back from Kruger. A wonderful experience! Kapama Lodge was a fabulous place to stay.

Took the SL 90-280, Sigma 16-28, and a Hasselblad X1D.  The 90-280 was great for 80-90% of the my telephoto shots.  I also loved having the X1D 2 with 45P lens. There were quite a few opportunities to opt for the X1D 2 for still animal and landscape shots. I could have used the Sigma in lieu of the X1D 2, but chose to keep the medium format for safari.

The Sigma was a great walk around lens.

The Hasselblad captured Africa's colors beautifully.  I'm quite  happy to have taken it along.

First 2 shots were taken with the X1D 2 and the last with the SL 90-280

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ropo54 said:

I'm back from Kruger. A wonderful experience! Kapama Lodge was a fabulous place to stay.

Took the SL 90-280, Sigma 16-28, and a Hasselblad X1D.  The 90-280 was great for 80-90% of the my telephoto shots.  I also loved having the X1D 2 with 45P lens. There were quite a few opportunities to opt for the X1D 2 for still animal and landscape shots. I could have used the Sigma in lieu of the X1D 2, but chose to keep the medium format for safari.

The Sigma was a great walk around lens.

The Hasselblad captured Africa's colors beautifully.  I'm quite  happy to have taken it along.

First 2 shots were taken with the X1D 2 and the last with the SL 90-280

Wonderful images Rob, hope you have some more to share!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boojay said:

Wonderful images Rob, hope you have some more to share!

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

These are great, Rob. And amazing in lightbox.

Thank you, Jayne and Ken.  As I've mentioned, the visit to South Africa was terrific.  A definite thrill for photography.  (Will post more in the next few days). 

Hope you're feeling better, too, Jayne.  

Regards,

Rob

SL 90-280

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did a safari and took the following and was pretty happy, but I think I would have preferred the 90-280.  Having both cameras with the ability to quickly switch between the focal lengths gave me a lot of versatility.  This two body option also gave me the comfort of having a back-up in case anything went wrong with one body.  The other advantage was the SL2-S with 24-90 was my go to in late afternoon and evening with low light.  Also took a couple M lenses for small footprint coupled with the SL2-S for dinner/evening events.  The final advantage is that you have the SL2-S for future use :>)

SL2-S  with 24-90

SL2 with Panasonic 70-200 + 1.4X extender (I think I would have preferred to 90-280, but opted for this solution due to price difference and my anticipated usage of this focal length in the future.  Regret this decision now, as I still long for getting the Leica 90-280.  If money was a factor today I think I would opt for and try one of the Sigma options 100-400 or the 150-600.

• Like 1

The Sigmas would be excellent choices, too.

I originally purchased the Sigma 150-600 for the trip, but found it bulkier and a tad heavier than the 90-280, and was advised that carry on weight on the planes in Africa would be quite limited.  There were times that a longer focal length than 280mm would have been nice but  was also told that we'd get close to the animals at Kruger so opted for the 90-280.

JaapV and Michaeli advised against taking too much gear, and that might have been the best advice I'd gotten beforehand.  I enjoyed the simplicity of the SL w 90-280 and X1D II.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

SL 90-280

• Like 1