APS-C future strategy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, bags27 said:

+1

I just stuck a M35 on my CL and love what I see. I bought that instead of an 28 f/2.8, and it was a close call. I suspect I'll have that as well soon. These great Mandler and Karbe lenses are like paintbrushes. I do have 2 TL zooms, which are terrific, but they are serviceable, while the Ms and Rs really make me think. A poor man's (and getting poorer the longer I'm on this forum!) digital M but with an EVF.

you will probably get the 28 in order to have a 35 and 50 for your CL. Hardly a poor man's M, if anything I think the CL is very much an undervalued camera. 24MP on an APS-C camera is what a cropped 50mm FOV pic on the SL2 will deliver when using a 35MM lens. Thing about the CL is that it feels like an M in your hands but operates like the SL(2). I still prefer film, and use an MA, M4 and R6.2 (not so much these days), but I take the CL along with me when I need a fast turnaround or video, and there is nothing that I have seen to convince me the SL2 or FF is better -- even in low light and I get wonderful foreground separation as well. Damn camera just feels good in my hands with an M lens attached -- and the results match up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Have you tried the Summicron-SL lenses on the CL? I find the 90mm well balanced and readily usable. 

Are you using the grip on the CL?  Because without the grip I don't them very convenient either.  

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, SlowDriver said:

Probably a few new lenses (last one dates from 2017) would get people talking again...

People are talking. I think the significant changes in the SL2 and Q2 got folks thinking about similar significant changes in the CL2: maybe some weatherproofing, IBIS, better EVF, maybe the Sony 32 mps 1/2 sensor....

• Like 2

IBIS would be nice but for me personally more native APS-C AF glass is a much higher priority.

The system needs more lenses like the 35mm.  A Summilux 23mm would be perfect.  A relatively fast 14mm or 16mm the icing on the cake.

3 hours ago, SlowDriver said:

IBIS would be nice but for me personally more native APS-C AF glass is a much higher priority.

The system needs more lenses like the 35mm.  A Summilux 23mm would be perfect.  A relatively fast 14mm or 16mm the icing on the cake.

Of course, if it had IBIS, the Summicron 23 would be just fine as is. 😀

3 minutes ago, julian m said:

Seriously. I still love these APS-C-sized lenses. Full frame is just too much.

I'm very close to replacing my T with a TL2, assuming all this might just be a dead end. But I figure as soon as I do, they'll announce a TL3 or CL2.

Absolutely. Please let us know when you're buying the TL2, so that we can all hold off a few weeks and wait for the announcement of the TL3 and CL2. 😀

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, SlowDriver said:

Not desperate for a body upgrade, but a fast wide with the qualities of the 35 TL Summilux would keep my interest.

Please, a little firmware update for the TL2 to bring in the CL focus peaking algorithm ( which is more visible on the LCD ) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, julian m said:

Seriously. I still love these APS-C-sized lenses. Full frame is just too much.

I'm very close to replacing my T with a TL2, assuming all this might just be a dead end. But I figure as soon as I do, they'll announce a TL3 or CL2.

I don't want the TL2 to be the last of its line - some beautiful design opportunities there to sculpt in an EVF. 

• Like 1

I’m having trouble with the CL’s EVF. I find I get so much light leaking in and interfering with the image that I have to cup it with my left hand in most lighting conditions. Never had this problem with my 5D’s optical viewfinder.

So I think they could improve the eyecup or just make the EVF brighter. Anyone else have this problem?

41 minutes ago, ruskkyle said:

I’m having trouble with the CL’s EVF. I find I get so much light leaking in and interfering with the image that I have to cup it with my left hand in most lighting conditions. Never had this problem with my 5D’s optical viewfinder.

So I think they could improve the eyecup or just make the EVF brighter. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I’ve seen that with the CL in full on sunshine; the visoflex on the TL2 or M10 is easier to shield with a slight head movement.

Don’t hold your breath, if any TL3 or CL2 were planned for this year. They might be postponed due to coronavirus. 
FYI Leica has always used Sony sensors for its APS-C cameras, since X1. 

https://m.dpreview.com/news/5458291545/sony-s-image-sensor-business-may-be-enormously-hit-by-coronavirus-outbreak

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyway re new lenses, if this Sigma 16mm f1.4 ever makes it to L mount it would be a brilliant wide angle option

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1