Q2 buffer issue with images loss

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did any of you experience, lost buffered photos ? 

It happens to me three times. Each time I tried to show a photo, just a few seconds after taking a series of 4 to 5 photos. Then the Q2 froze. It did not respond anymore for more than a minute. Sometimes I can turn it off, sometimes I have to get the battery out ! Very annoying. 

And of course at each times I lost the 4 to 5 pictures previously taken. What a bummer. And of course they are potential keepers. Because I got pressure to show them immediately. But now they are lost forever.

So what’s your experience about that. I found that totally unacceptable. It should not have frozen at all.

Of course I am using fast Lexar SDXC UHS-II 64 or 126GB V60 

5 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Did any of you experience, lost buffered photos ? 

It happens to me three times. Each time I tried to show a photo, just a few seconds after taking a series of 4 to 5 photos. Then the Q2 froze. It did not respond anymore for more than a minute. Sometimes I can turn it off, sometimes I have to get the battery out ! Very annoying.

Did you wait until the LED stopped blinking?

I don’t think so. I pressed the Play button just after taking the series. Auto review is off. 

Anyway it should work and  not lost any photo in the process. Because with auto review ON it does display the picture just right after. 

Last time I was losing photos in the same manner, was with the the underpowered T

Edited by nicci78

What SD card are you using? I regularly fill the buffer and just keep shooting. It slows down to maybe one shot every few seconds as the buffer clears one image. I’m not aware of ever losing a shot or a hang up. 
If you look in the macro thread the Bumble Bee images all involved many shots and the buffer was filled multiple times. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Battery almost full.

I can shoot as much as I want. The problem occur, only if I tried to play the photo right after shoot several photos in a row. 

I only use fast LEXAR UHS II V60

No idea. It may be a bug in the firmware. I occasionally look or try and look at photos in a burst, but I've not experienced any problems that I'm aware of. Bummer. Good luck figuring it out. The most problems I've seen (read about) is with SD cards.

16 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Battery almost full.

I can shoot as much as I want. The problem occur, only if I tried to play the photo right after shoot several photos in a row. 

Well, until this is sorted, maybe better wait with the review until the files are completely written.

Of course. Actually I never look at my photos on camera. Only when pressure by my daughter or her friends to show them right after. 

By the way, the card write indicator light is really badly positioned. Just under the right hand.... 

I still tried to reproduced the problem to show it to the Leica Store Beaumarchais customer service. But it is too random to make it happen at will. 

• 3 weeks later...

It happens again yesterday. 6 or 7 photos lost. 
This time I just turn off the Q2 too soon. Then I tried to turn it on right after, because of another photo opportunity. But Q2 just stuck with EVF on only, but the camera did not answer. Have to take battery off. 
😞

Again different SD card as last time. Impossible to reproduce on purpose. Only random at the worst possible time. My Q2 did not like to be rushed around like the Q could. 

8 hours ago, nicci78 said:

It happens again yesterday. 6 or 7 photos lost. 
This time I just turn off the Q2 too soon. Then I tried to turn it on right after, because of another photo opportunity. But Q2 just stuck with EVF on only, but the camera did not answer. Have to take battery off. 
😞

Again different SD card as last time. Impossible to reproduce on purpose. Only random at the worst possible time. My Q2 did not like to be rushed around like the Q could. 

Very strange. It does resemble problems others have had with bad SD cards.
I’ve completely filled the buffer many times then started taking photos again before it clears the buffer. No problems. It’s just slow while simultaneously unloading the buffer and taking new photos. 
I’d be pretty frustrated had I the problem you are experiencing. I would be trying a lot of experiments to repeat the failure. 
When photos are lost, what does that mean? If you import photos into Lightroom, are the numbers not consecutive? Or, are the numbers there, but the photos are not present? Are you shooting jpeg or DNG or both. I’d simplify now and try just jpeg’s for awhile. They’re smaller and maybe there’s a clue in that. Have you tried different continuous speeds? Try the slowest one then try faster if you don’t see a problem. Refrain from chimping while it’s writing to the card. 
Contact Leica support. Maybe they’ve seen this with other cameras. Let us know what you learn. Good luck. 
Dan

I only shoot DNG. Only AF-S. No continuous. 
I did not even hit the buffer limit. The Q just froze and refuse to turn off  

The photos are lost. As if they were never wrote on the card. 

Still impossible to reproduce on purpose. 

Edited by nicci78

11 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I only shoot DNG. Only AF-S. No continuous. 
I did not even hit the buffer limit. The Q just froze and refuse to turn off  

The photos are lost. As if they were never wrote on the card. 

Still impossible to reproduce on purpose. 

Well, do you have an old SD card that has been very reliable for you in the past? Size doesn’t matter. I’d put that in and format it in camera then see if the problem returns. If it does, I’d send the camera to Leica service. 

I didn’t mean AF-C. I meant Drive Mode - continuous shutter. Try it fast and fill the buffer then try shooting before it unloads you try and repeat the failure. 
I still highly suspect an SD card problem. 

Oups. I just want to say only single shot. Never continuous.

It happens with 3 different cards. Seems like the camera just hang up before having the chance to copy anything to the SD. 

Q2 froze when I rushed it : hit the play button right after or turn it off right after a series of photos. 

Not sure how to help. I recommend trying to make it fail by shooting in continuous mode. Fill the buffer then hit play then back to trying to take a photo. The number in the lower right will tell you how many shots are available until the buffer is filled. I’d work the camera hard and make it fail and document how you make it fail. Then send to Leica. 
I just tried all the above on my Q2. It did not fail. It does get slow while the red light is blinking then it’s back to normal. 
I think your camera is defective and should be sent to Leica. 

Edited by Leica Guy

On 9/28/2019 at 11:02 AM, nicci78 said:

Battery almost full.

Nicci,

I assume Lexar cards are good, but I have no experience with them. I’d purchase one Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 300MB/sec. UHS-II card and try it. Buy from a reliable source to ensure you’re not getting a counterfeit one. I buy from B&H or Leica in the US.