Q2 buffer issue with images loss

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, nicci78 said:

Oups. I just want to say only single shot. Never continuous.

It happens with 3 different cards. Seems like the camera just hang up before having the chance to copy anything to the SD. 

Q2 froze when I rushed it : hit the play button right after or turn it off right after a series of photos. 

I think I'm not the only one alone here, my Q have the same issue like your Q2, did tried 3 sd card and still happen. After upgrade to 3.1 fw, things happen more offen.

Some notice that your setting is likely similar like me: no live view, no shooting continuous. battery always full.

I've met one guy in Leica group on Facebook have the same problem, too. 

I think highly % is from firmware.

• Thanks 1

Leica after sales are not sure how to solve the problem. Because I cannot reproduce on purpose. 
Only way send Q2 to Wetzlar. But the chance they found the problem is slim. Because they also suspect an unexpected bug within firmware. 
One of my settings and the fact that I rushed the camera to play photos or turn off, makes the bug crashes my Q2

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Leica after sales are not sure how to solve the problem. Because I cannot reproduce on purpose. 
Only way send Q2 to Wetzlar. But the chance they found the problem is slim. Because they also suspect an unexpected bug within firmware. 
One of my settings and the fact that I rushed the camera to play photos or turn off, makes the bug crashes my Q2. 

Leica, think they not strong at software, they just good hat hardware and lens. and some issue they fix so long. 

I heard that leica M 240 have the same issue, too. this is specialty of Leica.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:42 AM, nicci78 said:

One of my settings and the fact that I rushed the camera to play photos or turn off, makes the bug crashes my Q2. 

Hi nicci, can you tell me:

• With which firmware you are currently working on your Q2?
  • And with which SD cards the image lost happens? Only with Lexar cards?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 10/21/2019 at 8:42 PM, bags27 said:

It's happened to me with the Q as well. Easy come, easy go

Sorry for necroposting 🙂

I got Q (first version) a week ago, and already twice it hangs with red light blinking and nothing happening after several shots made one by one. When camera hangs it can focus but don't release shutter, the only way to bring it back to life is removing battery. After reboot, not all last shots appear on SD and most interesting - mostly DNGs are lost. Meanwhile I can shoot series in "C" mode with full buffer without any problems

SD card is fresh Kingston UHS-II, Q's firmware is latest, battery was full both times. I have replaces SD card in case previous was falty but doubt it was

Trouble is - mine Q is "pre-owned" so it has very limited warranty and I have to decide if I need return in a couple of weeks

If this problem is common and is firmware related it's ok and I can live with it, but if it is mine sample's problem then I'll prefer to return to dealer before problem will grow to something more significant 

So - are this "hangs" normal and common to Qs?

Edited by rukez

3 hours ago, rukez said:

So - are this "hangs" normal and common to Qs?

Not normal in my experience of owning a Q for about 6 years.  I won't say hangs never happen, but they have been quite rare with my camera.

I use 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro memory cards in my Q (currently about $12.50 on amazon).  32 GB holds more images that I will ever shoot at one go.  I don't use newer/faster/higher capacity cards because I've had issues running newer cards on older devices in the past.  Other devices -- I've never run them on the Q.  I don't think the Q can take advantage of the higher speeds, anyway.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, marchyman said:

Not normal in my experience of owning a Q for about 6 years.  I won't say hangs never happen, but they have been quite rare with my camera.

I use 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro memory cards in my Q (currently about $12.50 on amazon).  32 GB holds more images that I will ever shoot at one go.  I don't use newer/faster/higher capacity cards because I've had issues running newer cards on older devices in the past.  Other devices -- I've never run them on the Q.  I don't think the Q can take advantage of the higher speeds, anyway.

Yes, I swapped SD to samsung pro plus micro-sd from Q's era (had some new spare ones laying on a shelf for several years) - hope this will help, and yes, no visible speed difference between those old U3 microSDs and modern UHS-2 SD with Q

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Ken Chuang said:

Try using a V90 card with 300m/s read speed and >250m/s write speed.

Accidentally inserted one today (also kingston "uhs-2 v90 300mb/s write speed" I had problems with before, but another sample) and got one hang (between ~100 shots)

Looks like Q does not like speedy cards - maybe it's because those hi-speed cards are more energy-hungry or maybe it's because they are very restrictive to number of concurrent writes (all of them are optimized for one thread) or something related to new deep hibernation and voltage scheme used

Seems like this a very common issue with the Q. I too seem to be experiencing the same issue with my QP, what I noticed in may case is that it occurs more often once the SD card starts to fill up.

We went on a vacation trip for a week and brought along the Q. I would back up my photos and clear the SD card every day, no issues what so ever. It wasn’t till we returned home that I started playing around and taking pictures of the kids that the Q froze. What notice was that I still had the last batch of photos from the vacation on the SD card so care to believe it’s more likely to occur as the card fills up?

I’m at the point of parting ways with the Q and continuing the path with the M system.

Cisco

12 hours ago, Ciskoe said:

Seems like this a very common issue with the Q. I too seem to be experiencing the same issue with my QP, what I noticed in may case is that it occurs more often once the SD card starts to fill up.

We went on a vacation trip for a week and brought along the Q. I would back up my photos and clear the SD card every day, no issues what so ever. It wasn’t till we returned home that I started playing around and taking pictures of the kids that the Q froze. What notice was that I still had the last batch of photos from the vacation on the SD card so care to believe it’s more likely to occur as the card fills up?

I’m at the point of parting ways with the Q and continuing the path with the M system.

Cisco

Mine hangs happened on clean SDs also

But I seems to find working combo - samsung evo 64gb microsd card (most basic model) in some very old (dated 2008) microsd-to-sd samsung adapter - buffer clearing time increased a little bit but no hangs for now

Same things happens with the M10 variants with Sony Tough cards — write freezes that require pulling the battery. Sandisk works flawlessly.

Today had a Sony Tough error on the Q2 as well — fourth or fifth shot in a row in single shot mode, then tried to review while images were writing — froze up requiring a battery pull. Last image taken was corrupted. (New Q2, current 3.1 firmware, full battery)

Ill be switching to Sandisk for the Q2 as well now.

Edited by hdmesa

On 12/18/2021 at 6:46 PM, Ken Chuang said:

Try using a V90 card with 300m/s read speed and >250m/s write speed.

The speed is not determined by the card, but by the camera: using a faster card than recommended in the camera documentation does not make the camera faster.

4 hours ago, LexS said:

The speed is not determined by the card, but by the camera: using a faster card than recommended in the camera documentation does not make the camera faster.

It has been measured on other cameras that slower cards can impact the camera's performance.

Leica Q2 manual recommends: Generally, any type of memory card may be used without any damage to the camera or memory card.

Since Leica Q2 supports UHS-II, using good quality UHS-II cards is best.

• Thanks 1