Two rare Elmar 9cm f4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/2/2020 at 10:55 PM, Giuliobigazzi said:

Also 135925 is a thin nickel recently sold 

Hi,

Thank you very much for the update.

Yes, it looks like there were a few samples in the 1358xx and 1359xx range despite the regular production seems to start on the 165001.

Best regards,

Augusto

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry for resurrecting this topic but I've just seen on ebay a second sample of the black/chrome with vulcanite ring. That makes the one-off to be two one-off's :)

Here you have the item (no economical interest, of course): https://www.ebay.es/itm/Leitz-Objektiv-Elmar-4-9-cm-Schwarzlack-Nr-565081/274484491994?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This one also has the flat retaining ring, just on top of the vulcanite. It is not just a replacement of the chrome ring by a vulcanite. It's also that ring (with the spot and the infrared mark).

Best regards,

Augusto

3 hours ago, tranquilo67 said:

Hi Luigi,

I'm referring to the one with the vulcanite ring (the one on the left in the initial picture) not the nickel one.

Best regards,

Augusto

Augusto 

This would be from 1941 and so too early for a vulcanite ring. Two possibilities (a) it was added later or (b) it was the result of the shortage of materials for chrome which arose in the war years. It might be worthwhile giving Lager a shout on this. 

I am always concerned by such poorly taken photos on an Ebay listing. The average 10 year old could do a better job with a smartphone.

William

17 hours ago, willeica said:

Augusto 

This would be from 1941 and so too early for a vulcanite ring. Two possibilities (a) it was added later or (b) it was the result of the shortage of materials for chrome which arose in the war years. It might be worthwhile giving Lager a shout on this. 

I am always concerned by such poorly taken photos on an Ebay listing. The average 10 year old could do a better job with a smartphone.

William

:)

Hi William,

Yes, I'll check with him. Agree that both (mine as well as the one in Ebay) look too early for having the vulcanite ring. The shortage of materials could make complete sense. My point is that if there are several samples it points beyond a non careful (or non original) repair.

Once more and as always, thank you very much!!

Augusto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Meanwhile, here you have a couple of interesting images. The black with vulcanite compared to the regular chrome and the regular black. You will see the differences in the vulcanite width as well as the retaining ring (the one with the dot and the IR marking). Interesting enough, it is different from both regular versions :)

Best regards,

Augusto

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Just spotted this one for sale. 1946 black version with vulcanite band.

Do I need it, no.

Do I want it, yes. Try not to buy it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274487854254?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Yes, it's not a matter of need... :)

Augusto

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thin elmar no80 of regular production

• Like 1