What is the best wet cleaning solution?

GarethC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ideally, I'd like a link to buy online. I've always been paranoid about touching the sensor but I fear that I have oil spots so am preparing to take my life into my hands and try touching the sensor and losing my virginity as it were.

Maybe I'll try it on the cheapie 5D sitting in the corner first.

you can get cheaper, but will not find better

I am not all that obsessive about cleaning dust (even though I shoot a lot of macros) so the price of this solution is not that great a factor for me

a pharmacy or chemical supply house may be able to supply you with methanol for a good deal less money or

you could also use Everclear which is nearly 100 % ethanol & can be found where ever cheap booze is sold:)

here is a link to Micro Tools which has a good price https://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=6 and is a nifty site

I note there is now Eclipse 2 which the company recommends for the M8 sensor, though I have used the old formulation Eclipse fluid with good results on my M8

I used a product called Greenclean, comes with a venturii type vacuum powered by compressed air, as well as a set of wet wipes and dry ones.

Wipes worked fine to remove the oil spots from my sensor. You need reasonably steady hands, and I suffered from not having magnifying goggles and a directed light source. I think I will pick up a petzl headlamp for future attempts.

David.

If you're worried and want to practice, try using a blank CD as a surrogate sensor which you can inspect for deposits. I use Eclipse but have also used Vodka; it's bizarre you are not allowed to take Eclipse on board a plane but Vodka is fine...