35 Summilux Canada - Just purchased - have questions

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M240, 35/1.4 v2, f/16, 12585 hood:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jul said:

I know that the 12585 clips on, the lack of a filter thread
I alluded to was meant to raise awareness on the ability (or the lack thereof)
to use a… filter without the proper hood.

The concern on IQ is already answered to several times in above posts:
vignetting and the inability to use a filter.

If you shoot black and white, a colored filter can enhance IQ.
How would you, without resorting to a hack, fit a filter on a lens
without filter thread if you don't have the proper two part
unscrewing hood to put the filter in?

If you are not concerned by anything I wrote above, just disregard.

I misread your first post. I agree with your sentiment. 

I was looking to see if the 12585 restricts the focus tab, aperture, or any other issues. If it mounts securely like the 12504. 

The lens should be here by Thursday so we shall see. 

The hood 12585 is for the Summicron, an f/2 lens (much smaller first glass). See Leica Wiki (English).

Please use the lens without sun shade at first! The shade you can buy afterwards. 

An amount of 200$ for a sun shade is ridiculous. Perhaps you can find a cheap one without the Leica sign. 

I - for myself - seldom use a shade. Except for my Summicron R 50mm, there the shade "hangs" on the lens (cannot forget it).

OK, I have an APS format camera, for APS much is different.

30 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

Oh wow. That is significant. Is it that bad at 1.4-8?

Less so but you did not pay $2k+ to get results like this i guess. 12504 or same are the way to go IMHO. I mean on FF cameras of course. The 12585 hood or its plastic clone (12538) work very well on the digital CL.

• Like 2

I just bought a titanium 35 pre asph last week. I had the chance to buy one a few years ago, with hood, but it was $3500 which I thought was just too much. The one I bought has no hood, which I would like to have, but works fine. It's tight and yes, soft wide open, but that's part of why I bought it. Size and performance made it a winner for me, along with the much lower price compared to the other one. Once stopped down to 2.8 or 4 it sharpens up nicely. It does have a hint of the dreaded halo of death, which I'll keep an eye on and send out to DAG or Sherri when the time comes. 

On another note, my dealer had a 35 aspherical for a nice price, $2900 to me. My first shot in the store was impressive and had that something my lux fle lacks. I bought it as well and am still impressed by how it draws. I realized when I got home that it was a double aspherical made in 1988. Rough estimates mark it's worth between $11k and $13k. Those things just never happen to me. I think I can live with all my 35s at this point. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh for heavens sake, try the two piece clone from eBay # 152375063917. Make an offer. Don't pay face price.

Q: "So, Zhang Wei, why do Americans exist?"
A; "Someone has to pay retail !"

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, lct said:

I meant it is an inferior lens optically but i do like its defects of course. In fact i prefer inferior lenses generally, superior ones are son boring. Like superior people sort of :D.

... or very stable geniuses!

I took a chance a few years ago on eBay and bought a goggled, very late V1 black paint for less than US$ 1,600 (with box and hood). It had a fungus spot, but I had it cleaned at Focal Point. By all accounts, it is like a V2, without filter threads and focus tab w/ infinity stop, gold-purple-ish coating. I absolutely love this lens - and it's imperfections! I mean it's a couple of years older than I am and I'm not so perfect either. 

I modified (filed) the bevel, so I can use it on my M9 and it's a perfect combination if you wear glasses. I think it's particularly good with the CCD sensor in terms of color rendering.

Tip for hood 12504 users: there's an Series VII UVa on eBay US at the moment.

Does anyone (besides me) have any Series VII ND filters? I never see any around (the one I saw a few years back I snagged up). I think it's a must for a F/1.4 lens, especially on film.

4 hours ago, wpm said:

I just bought a titanium 35 pre asph last week. I had the chance to buy one a few years ago, with hood, but it was $3500 which I thought was just too much. The one I bought has no hood, which I would like to have, but works fine. It's tight and yes, soft wide open, but that's part of why I bought it. Size and performance made it a winner for me, along with the much lower price compared to the other one. Once stopped down to 2.8 or 4 it sharpens up nicely. It does have a hint of the dreaded halo of death, which I'll keep an eye on and send out to DAG or Sherri when the time comes. 

On another note, my dealer had a 35 aspherical for a nice price, $2900 to me. My first shot in the store was impressive and had that something my lux fle lacks. I bought it as well and am still impressed by how it draws. I realized when I got home that it was a double aspherical made in 1988. Rough estimates mark it's worth between $11k and $13k. Those things just never happen to me. I think I can live with all my 35s at this point. 

Wow, your dealer blew it. Gotta know your stuff if you want to stay in business.

dk, I haven't had the heart to tell them yet. They have been great to me over the years and I agree, whoever bought the stuff didn't realize what they had. My dilemma now is to just use it and enjoy it or sell it. My eye tends to prefer the pre- asph and the asph over the fle. I just hadn't realized that I was getting one of the elusive double A's. Some people like them, like me, and others don't. 

• Like 1

In case some of you don't know it already, 35/1.4 pre-asph lenses require E41 filters up to serial number # 2166700 and series VII filters as from serial number # 2166701. E49 filters can be used instead of series VII but must be dropped upside down between the two halves of the 12504 hood.

• Thanks 1

Try number 3 arrives tomorrow. It is quite amazing that I can get a camera lens from China in 48 hours. 

They basically threw in the 12585 hood so if it doesn't work I'll take Pico's recommendation.

Keep your fingers crossed this one is better..

18 hours ago, lct said:

In case some of you don't know it already, 35/1.4 pre-asph lenses require E41 filters up to serial number # 2166700 and series VII filters as from serial number # 2166701. E49 filters can be used instead of series VII but must be dropped upside down between the two halves of the 12504 hood.

Beware of judging by serial number. I've seen 35mm 'lux pre-asph lenses without E41 filter threads with a serial number as low as 2060XXX. The last 500 to 700 (2167XXX) are most likely ones without filter thread. I doubt there's any logic to distribution - I assume Leitz just used up the steel rim parts and then switched over to the new thread-less front.

I was always curious if the glass, elements or coatings changed - one reads different accounts.

Just Leica specs:

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, dkmoore said:

Isn't the difference distinguished by the silver rim?

Correct. "Steel rim" in layman's terms.

This is the one without filter threads:

@lct Check out this guy's instagram feed: 

Plenty of interesting stuff and some pretty early "V2" type 'lux 35 among the "V1" serial numbers. The ominous lens with 2167700 was at an WestLicht auction some years ago:

Now you can call me a nerd ; ) but aren't we all here.

• Like 2