35 Summilux Canada - Just purchased - have questions

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

Need an assist for any of you that own or have extensively used the 35 Summilux pre-ASPH Canada lens. I purchased from a reputable Leica dealer and can return. Before I mention my questions I understand this is an old lens and there will be some imperfections. That said, I didn't get a great deal on the lens price wise ($2300).

1. The front part of the lens has a little bit of play. Is this normal for this lens?

I didn't pull on it hard but I try to jiggle everything a bit to see if everything feels nice and solid. It is only a slight give that may be normal for this lens.

2. There is a scratch or cleaning mark on the front element that is slightly less than 1/8" and doesn't look etched in or anything, which is why I mention cleaning mark. 

Are most lenses of this vintage going to have some sort of cleaning mark?

Other than those two things the lens is in fantastic condition. The rear glass is very clean and I don't see any haze or fungus. The focus is spot on, which I was actually surprised about. 

Let me know your thoughts and thank you!

Dustin 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I paid much less for my Wetzlar Titan lens, no cleaning marks and came with proper shade and UV filter. It was an extraordinary opportunity.

It shows no play in any parts of the lens. The slide-in shade is loose, by design though.

• Like 1

Probably a simple turn of a very small flat head but I don't want to mess with it in case I decide to return because of the scratch.

Does this lens have a similar problem to the V1 Cron in which the front element would come loose? I experienced this. 

The rendering is fantastic though. Very different then modern ASPH lenses. Skin renders very smooth at 1.4 and it has a softer overall (lower contrast) look that I really like.

Then by f2 it magically cracks. If I return the lens I will 100% be looking for another copy.

The previous owner was careful always using the lens with the Series VII mount filter and shade/filter holder. Those items alone could cost me a couple of hundreds more.

Looking for some more comments on liklihood of finding another copy with perfect glass?

is the price I paid reasonable with a faint scratch?

you have to look at the lens in bright sunlight to see it. Should the glass be perfect for $2300?

Red Dot here in London have one similar I think? - serial 239xxx - with “a small coating mark” for £1400 which is (currently!) around $1850. Not sure it’s in the same overall cosmetic condition though.....

(Mods delete if inappropriate - not sure of forum rules re specific pricing/vendors etc....)

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

IMHO $2.300 is a high price even in very good condition without wobbling, cleaning marks, haze. Wobbling can be fixed, RF-spot on is good although the lens is soft wide open. cleaning marks or scratches might have some impact, haze can be cleaned but that costs. so it's up to you to decide wether ask for partial refund or return. Sorry I can't say "good deal, hold it"

3 hours ago, NigelG said:

Red Dot here in London have one similar I think? - serial 239xxx - with “a small coating mark” for £1400 which is (currently!) around $1850. Not sure it’s in the same overall cosmetic condition though.....

(Mods delete if inappropriate - not sure of forum rules re specific pricing/vendors etc....)

I think that pricing makes more sense with a coating blemish. This lens is very clean other then the glass mark but I am going to send it back and look for another copy.

It’s not a lens I’ve ever been looking for but I do notice them around reasonably regularly with UK dealers. If you’re prepared to wait it seems like you should turn up another in better/unwobbly  condition for your price point.....

Was just in Red Dot and forgot to look at their copy......I was busy picking up a lens which much more rarely comes around (so I couldn’t be too picky on the cosmetics) (Hexanon 50 1.2 limited 😀)

I think there's a big difference between a scratch or a cleaning mark. If it was just a mark it might even come off with a 'wet' clean. If it's a scratch then you can't do anything with it but from what you describe it would make no difference to the images. However it should be taken into account regards pricing. 

The wobble would be more of a concern. One of the lenses of this period (can't recall which) was made with a plastic inner part which is prone to snapping in half and can't be replaced.

As you paid top money I would return it and look for another. 

• Like 2

I am on my third 35mm Summilux V2. (Two others were broken on the job at daily newspapers.) That is how much I appreciate it.

I agree with others that the lens is common enough that the right one will show up. Your good patience will pay off.

Note that there variations with V2 builds and people will argue whether they exist or matter because optically they are alike. The differences I have found are in my most recent (to me) copy: mine focuses closer than .7m and it has a locking infinity tab.

Best of luck. Enjoy!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I think there's a big difference between a scratch or a cleaning mark. If it was just a mark it might even come off with a 'wet' clean. If it's a scratch then you can't do anything with it but from what you describe it would make no difference to the images. However it should be taken into account regards pricing. 

The wobble would be more of a concern. One of the lenses of this period (can't recall which) was made with a plastic inner part which is prone to snapping in half and can't be replaced.

As you paid top money I would return it and look for another. 

I’d like to know if it is in fact the 35 Lux. I had this issue with a v1 Cron and it was an easy fix. But, as you say, if it is this lens I definitely will return. 

Im waffling a little because I love the lens rendering and the focus is perfect. 

I just need to convince myself that I will keep it for the long haul because it will be difficult to sell with a small cleaning mark. 

1 minute ago, pico said:

I am on my third 35mm Summilux V2. (Two others were broken on the job at daily newspapers.) That is how much I appreciate it.

I agree with others that the lens is common enough that the right one will show up. Your good patience will pay off.

Note that there variations with V2 builds and people will argue whether they exist or matter because optically they are alike. The differences I have found are in my most recent (to me) copy: mine focuses closer than .7m and it has a locking infinity tab.

Best of luck. Enjoy!

Thanks for this message. The one I have has a longer than normal minimum focusing diffidence. I think longer than .7. It also doesn’t have the lock. I believe it is from 1979. 

You are right, I need to be patient and find the right copy. 

I was quite enamored by this lens just taking some family shots yesterday when I received it. Skin looks great at 1.4. I found it plenty sharp in the center at 1.4. I can still differentiate eye lashes when zoomed in which is more than I’ll ever need at the size prints I make. 

I haven’t had this reaction to a silly camera lens before and I’ve owned way too many! It will be hard to package up and ship back. Ha. 

Mine was in mint for $1300- a few years ago..maybe 3 to 4..

But..had a slight wobble..that was the only issue..

Basically I got over the wobble and just used it..and it is like a mini Noctilux..

Maybe get them to fix or reduce pricing..if it takes good shots..the scratch and wobble being the main issue..

These days...maybe $1500-..maybe..but only if you really luv it..

Remember..its a flare magnet..and the scratch..is only gonna amplify that reality..

I bought it specifically for all of the “imperfections” that I’ve read about.  My primary lenses are all of the latest versions. 

Leica pricing in the US is higher at the moment then it has been in the past two years. Looking at Leica stores, eBay, and some larger camera stores you can not find this lens for anything close to $1500. 

9 hours ago, dkmoore said:

I’d like to know if it is in fact the 35 Lux.

No, it was the 35/2 Summicron Mk4 that was prone to snapping in the middle owing to the use of a plastic ring inside the lens.

$2,300 sounds very high to me for a Mk2 35/1.4 Summilux pre-asph particularly with a possible scratch on the front element.  The problem is that the lens is already well-known for veiling glare (flare) towards light sources wide open so the mark(s) on the front element will have penetrated the coating and probably accentuate the flare.  If you like that sort of flare (as I do) then you might be alright but if not it's a lemon.  Try it wide open against the light and see if you like the results.

My lens is as solid as a rock so there should be no wiggle in my opinion.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 2

I sent it back today. :  (

I would pay $2,300.00 for the same condition barrel with scratch, haze, and fungus free glass. I agree that it is over priced with a scratch.

The flare is part of the allure of this lens for me and I too enjoy flare. I also liked the softer/smoother rendering at 1.4. Eye and eye lashes defined but smooth and silky frame. 

All of my other lenses are clinical although editing can alter that (28 Lux, 28 Cron, 50 APO, 50 Lux, 90APO).

The camera shop is going to try and find me another one...

• Thanks 2

well, that was fast. I found another copy. The dealer promises everything is tight and the glass is perfect and I paid slightly less. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. This is the first lens I have owned that truly has a different look. Its like my first date all over again!

Man, I am a camera geek.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two strikes, one more and I am out...Got my 2nd copy today and this one was worse than the first (not from Tamarkin). Back it goes.

I was told the glass had no issues, ha! The rear element had the ring of death (aka haze), there was a scratch on the rear element, and the front was again wobbly...

Either the seller had a blind person inspect the lens or they are very dishonest...(eBay seller with perfect feedback) in case anyone is curious where I got the second copy).