M 10 and improvement of your 90/135mm behavior

Paulus

Difference compared to what? Compared to M9, definitely.

My 135 TE f/4 can now go places at ISO 12500 that would have been just fantasy dreams with the M9, and with smooth "filmic" noise comparable to the M9 at ~1000. (I don't go above 12500 with the M10, because some banding starts there.)

Generally speaking, the focus is more consistent. But not "magically" better - a 75 f/1.4 at f/1.4 and 1 m is still tricky in moving situations. If possible, in daylight I still prefer to stop down my 135 to f/5.6, both for a slight overall IQ improvement, and for the extra DoF "just in case".

135 TE at f/4 and 1/125th sec., M10, ISO 12500, very dark "pop-up" concert venue. "Reach out and touch someone" ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Thank you Adan : " Difference compared to what? Compared to M9, definitely." I meant in comparison with the M 240, because the 2.0/90 is just on it's limit with the 0.68 viewfinder and I was curious if one could see any progress.

When I took an M10 out on trial in consideration of upgrading from my M240s, one of the things I paid most attention to was the rangefinder especially with longer lenses.  I used 90/2 and 135/4.  I shot the two cameras side by side,  I even mounted them on a tripod with a QR plate so I could quickly switch between them from the same composition.  I can't speak for anyone else but I did not find any difference in clarity or ease of achieving focus.  I also found the increase in frame size negligible despite the increase in magnification.   And because of the increase in frame size, the greater eye relief merely renders the M10 on par with the M240 in terms of visibility of the 35 and 28mm frames.  Had they increased the eye relief without increasing the magnification, THEN those frames would be easier to see with glasses on.  There may be other factors making the upgrade attractive (though none to myself) but the viewfinder definitely wasn't one of them for me.

Edited by bocaburger

I never used the 240, but as a full-time glasses wearer I sure appreciate the improvements over the M9. I've checked the RF focusing of my 135 TE and find a much better hit rate. Also, comparing results (on the 135 at f4) using the M10 RF to using the 020 EVF I find little improvement from the EVF, and of course faster work with the RF.