Overcome M8 Resistance/ x Lens

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi Wilson,

I like to have the flexibility of using high speed lens in dim light condition. In the case of the RF I can also benefit the slow shutter speed hand held. Thanks for the example of this lens. Since, the lens is also discontinued and becoming more difficult to get I fear that if I don't take my chance now I may have a difficult time of getting one in the future. Also the dealer told me that I do not need the 6 bit code for this lens in which I got from him. Do you think there was any different of putting the 6 bit code on or not?

Thanks,

Son

Son,

It was the previous owner who sent the Nocti away to get the six bit code and service done. I bought it on its return. I was going to buy a new Nocti, having come to an arrangement with someone who was not using their 30% voucher, which I just missed out on. However I assumed a late just coded and serviced Nocti would be as good as a new one. Well it is now, after a second visit to Solms. Apart from the adjustment for using a UV/IR filter, which I would not know about, since I am STILL waiting for my 60mm filter, when you are looking at EXIF's at least you know what lens was fitted. I am guessing there may be additional advantages in the future. I would guess the filter vignetting adjustment for a 50mm lens would be minimal. For a 35mm lens I have both a Zeiss 35/f2 Biogon and a 35 CV f1.2 Nokton - both hand coded. The Zeiss is super sharp and contrasty and unlike many Leica 35's - trouble free. I have not used the CV 35/1.2 enough yet to comment but focus tests were spot on. I have a coded 50mm collapsible Elmar-M, which makes a great 'in your pocket' combination with the M8. I have a 21 Biogon, which is very good but I don't use that much. Ditto with a 90mm 2.8 Elmarit-M but when you need them, they are both excellent performers. The 90 Elmarit makes a first class copying lens.

Wilson

I would get a 28mm or 35mm lens. That would be a 37mm or 47mm on the M8. Both would be good allround lenses. One aspect about lenses that I think is important is that they don't block a large part of the finder.

Personally I like the 35mm cron ASPH because it's compact and very very good. Sharp from f/2 and up. 28mm cron might also be an option, but I'm very happy with my 28mm ultron.

So my suggestion is a 35mm cron ASPH or 4th version.

I would guess the filter vignetting adjustment for a 50mm lens would be minimal

If you ever photograph a light, evenly lit background with the Nocti at f1 - especially on film using the full frame - you'd see that the Nocti vignettes pretty severely. Fortunately an evenly lit light background isn't the kind of situation that the Nocti normally finds itself in at f1 <grin>.

I've just tried shooting exactly that kind of situation with the M8, and replaying the frame on the back of the camera you can see that initially there is quite a bit of vignetting, but then after a second or so the processing is applied and the vignetting is reduced.

In the Nocti's case - if not other 50mm lenses - there seems to be quite a bit of processing involved which is removing vignetting.

Wilson, are you getting a Leica 60mm filter sent? Do you know how long you will have to wait? If you are really desperate, I can send you mine, since I am not using it yet, and when yours gets there, you can send me that. PM me if interested.

If you ever photograph a light, evenly lit background with the Nocti at f1 - especially on film using the full frame - you'd see that the Nocti vignettes pretty severely. Fortunately an evenly lit light background isn't the kind of situation that the Nocti normally finds itself in at f1 <grin>.

I've just tried shooting exactly that kind of situation with the M8, and replaying the frame on the back of the camera you can see that initially there is quite a bit of vignetting, but then after a second or so the processing is applied and the vignetting is reduced.

In the Nocti's case - if not other 50mm lenses - there seems to be quite a bit of processing involved which is removing vignetting.

Steve,

It was cyan vignetting I was thinking about not ordinary. From Sean's tests, it would seem if you turn on Lens Detection + UV/IR, you turn off ordinary vignetting correction and turn on Cyan corner correction. Therefore as I don't have an e60 yet and am just running with straight lens detection on (no filter), presumably I will be getting some of my normal vignetting corrected. In that all of my Nocti shots have been evening (I am not going to lug that huge lump around when I have an Elmar-M 50 for daylight), I honestly doubt whether I would have noticed one way or another.

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From Sean's tests, it would seem if you turn on Lens Detection + UV/IR, you turn off ordinary vignetting correction...

That's not my experience, based on looking at the rear screen on the camera, as I say you can see the vignetting compensation kicking in. I'll do some proper tests at the weekend.

That's not my experience, based on looking at the rear screen on the camera, as I say you can see the vignetting compensation kicking in. I'll do some proper tests at the weekend.

Steve,

I have to say, I could not see why Leica would opt to turn off normal vignetting correction when they turned on cyan corner correction, unless there was not enough processing power to do the two jobs but unless I misread the article, that was what Sean seemed to have found. I think that was for the wider lenses and it may be different on the Nocti.

Wilson

Wilson, I suppose it's always possible that something Nocti specific may be happening given the high levels of visngetting at the widest apertures. When I have a chance I'll try and do a quick test without filter/lens detection and then with.

Incidentally I received my 60mm filter last week, so they are being shipped in Europe.

There's vignetting correction with On + IR/UV.

Cheers,

Sean

Steve,

It was cyan vignetting I was thinking about not ordinary. From Sean's tests, it would seem if you turn on Lens Detection + UV/IR, you turn off ordinary vignetting correction and turn on Cyan corner correction. Therefore as I don't have an e60 yet and am just running with straight lens detection on (no filter), presumably I will be getting some of my normal vignetting corrected. In that all of my Nocti shots have been evening (I am not going to lug that huge lump around when I have an Elmar-M 50 for daylight), I honestly doubt whether I would have noticed one way or another.

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Take a look at the tests again. You'll see the vignetting correction.

Cheers,

Sean

Wilson, are you getting a Leica 60mm filter sent? Do you know how long you will have to wait? If you are really desperate, I can send you mine, since I am not using it yet, and when yours gets there, you can send me that. PM me if interested.

i must be veryyyyyy lucky by the sound of it. My M8 is not even 3 weeks old and my filter (50mm noctilux) arrived the other day. :D