Sign in to follow this  
Pham Minh Son

Overcome M8 Resistance/ x Lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We NEED a damn spell checker in the reply box:D

Use Firefox and you have one. Incorrectly spelt words have a red squiggle underneath them as in Word. Rather amusingly the spell checker says Firefox is misspelt.

Love the fingerprint of the noctilux. Has a unique look that you don't see everyday when opened up. stopped down a bit it gets very sharp though not as contrasty as some of the newer asph lenses which I actually prefer. its easy to add contrast in post processing but you can't go the other way around. I also have a 21 asph which is about as wide as I ever use and can frame using the entire frame on the M8. framelines are never as accurate as I'd like on RF cameras but you learn to adjust. this combo on the M8 has given me amazingly sharp wide angle option and I really love the colors I get from the Leica glass over Zeiss and CV.

Love the fingerprint of the noctilux. Has a unique look that you don't see everyday when opened up. stopped down a bit it gets very sharp though not as contrasty as some of the newer asph lenses which I actually prefer. its easy to add contrast in post processing but you can't go the other way around.––––––––––––––––––.

Mebbe, but I wouldn't choose that ice bucket for my first M lens!

The opinonated old man from the Age of the Box Camera

I like my lenses small, so I went first with the 35 cron. Small, relatively inexpensive for a Leica, and easy to find (very important when I, like you, had an M8 and no lens). I followed quickly with a CV15 and a CV 25, also very small, inexpensive, and easy to get. Later, Sean convinced me to get a CV75 which I have also been very happy with.

Use Firefox and you have one. Incorrectly spelt words have a red squiggle underneath them as in Word. Rather amusingly the spell checker says Firefox is misspelt.

Steve:

Isn't spelt a grain you make bread out of?

Guy, after your departure the conversation on the forum became dull for me and I do not have the M8 or even the DMR to join you here. Thus, I have acquired both the M8 and the DMR. I feel that I cannot contribute to the based knowledge if I have no based on hand experience; expereince is the best teacher. Only in minutes after I posted the thread I feel the old time is back. Thank you!

Speaking of the Leica M8 file quality I hear too many reports on color shift. Since I have not own this system I have a question to all you experts: If you use the lens from the SLR system adapted to the M8 sensor via the visoflex do you see the attenuation of color shift assuming my lack of knowledge and presumption of the M8 color shift?

Son

My great friend and fellow shooter. The M8 is a wonderful tool, but not the be all and end all that many people seem to expect. what it is is a wonderful tool to get much of what we want from a close in, rangefinder rules camera. I would suggest ( Oh God another Heathen surfaces) that the M8, in concert with the Canon E5 with telephoto lenses and macro lenses can be used together to have a system using the best 35mm lenses on the planet. Think about it......Use the M8 on the street to get the best of photojournalism and the E5 and tele's and macros to get best of both world's. I wish I had done this on my recent trip to Europe to show what could be done. But I used mostly the M8 and the wonderful M lenses instead of the R9/DMR and the equivalent R lenses for comparison.

There is nothing about the M8 to really complain about! It is mostly about getting the almost perfect shot. Simply stated. the M8 is a wonderful tool,. as is the R9/DMR. Each tool is optimized for different image making! I dont know how I would deal without either one.

Hopefully, your journey will mirror mine. Many of the images with the M8 and the remainder with the DMR or the Canon 5D or 1DSMKII. Your choice but for me the DMR continues with the best files for the money. YMMV. Have at it my friends..You now know my personal choices!!!!

Cheers

Woody Spedden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Son

My great friend and fellow shooter. The M8 is a wonderful tool, but not the be all and end all that many people seem to expect. what it is is a wonderful tool to get much of what we want from a close in, rangefinder rules camera. I would suggest ( Oh God another Heathen surfaces) that the M8, in concert with the Canon E5 with telephoto lenses and macro lenses can be used together to have a system using the best 35mm lenses on the planet. Think about it......Use the M8 on the street to get the best of photojournalism and the E5 and tele's and macros to get best of both world's. I wish I had done this on my recent trip to Europe to show what could be done. But I used mostly the M8 and the wonderful M lenses instead of the R9/DMR and the equivalent R lenses for comparison.

There is nothing about the M8 to really complain about! It is mostly about getting the almost perfect shot. Simply stated. the M8 is a wonderful tool,. as is the R9/DMR. Each tool is optimized for different image making! I dont know how I would deal without either one.

Hopefully, your journey will mirror mine. Many of the images with the M8 and the remainder with the DMR or the Canon 5D or 1DSMKII. Your choice but for me the DMR continues with the best files for the money. YMMV. Have at it my friends..You now know my personal choices!!!!

Cheers

Woody Spedden

Woody, I saw Guy's images from the trip and was glad to see you and your wife in those images. I agree with you regarding to the Leica DMR. I have just reacquired the DMR again from Dale Labs (my first transaction with David and it was a pleasure) after I have my adventure to the medium format digital back. My conclusion is that the best digital back with the 6.8 micron belongs to the Leica DMR in terms of colors. The medium format back seems to be good with the 9 micron sensor. I gave Leica a lot of credit for their efforts with the DMR. The R lenses certainly was taken out of the orphan shelter and put into a great home, the Leica DMR. Thus, I am looking forward to use the M8 along with the DMR. My medium format systems will also play a very important role in the whole picture as you put it there is simply no one system that can have all the characteristic that you are looking. Despite I no longer have the Canon system but the thought of the 1D Mark III did came across.

-Son

Love the fingerprint of the noctilux. Has a unique look that you don't see everyday when opened up. stopped down a bit it gets very sharp though not as contrasty as some of the newer asph lenses which I actually prefer. its easy to add contrast in post processing but you can't go the other way around. I also have a 21 asph which is about as wide as I ever use and can frame using the entire frame on the M8. framelines are never as accurate as I'd like on RF cameras but you learn to adjust. this combo on the M8 has given me amazingly sharp wide angle option and I really love the colors I get from the Leica glass over Zeiss and CV.

I agree with your analysis of this great Notilux lens. For those that were able to get the voucher for this lens have the great opportunity to take this legendary lens. The dreamy bokeh from this lens is unlike any other lens I have seen in the 50 mm range. Unfortunately I do not have the voucher and thus cannot afford this lens especially witht he new price tag. Thus, for the 50 mm focal range I am also fascinated with the 1.4/50 ASPH. However, this lens is also very expensive for the focal length that I am too well covered in the SLR systems thus I may consider the pre ASPH 1.4/50. I would love to see images taken with these two lens. Can you or anyone give me some insight to the 1.4/50 ASPH versus the 1.4/50 non ASPH?

Thanks,

-Son

I like my lenses small, so I went first with the 35 cron. Small, relatively inexpensive for a Leica, and easy to find (very important when I, like you, had an M8 and no lens). I followed quickly with a CV15 and a CV 25, also very small, inexpensive, and easy to get. Later, Sean convinced me to get a CV75 which I have also been very happy with.

I do hear many great things about the CV lens and will take your suggestion into consideration.

Thank you,

-Son

There are so many excellent lenses available for the M cameras that it boggles the mind. There are good options from Leica, Zeiss and CV. Take your time to see what's what.

Cheers,

Sean

If you want to stay in the wide end than leica is really the key here. The WATE you just can't find which is 16,18,21 great lens and i really like it a lot. 24mm is a killer lens but 32mm on the M8 so depends on how wide you want to be. There is a Zeiss 15mm 2.8 that is extremely good but it is not RF coupled ( guess at focusing) and hard to code. Not sure if anyone has done it yet. That's about 3600 new. there is a 15mm CV lens with all the parts about 500 which many reallylove and it is a great litte lens. depends on what you want to do but Son bottom line from 90mm down the M glass is extremely hard to beat and you know that. If it was me and i still wanted a DSLR i would maybe have a zoom and a macro than my 180 f2 back . Honestly my need for a DSLR is down to almost zero and many here that have one they are doing some shelf time.

You know my taste so here is what i have in the bag

CV 12mm, Wate, 28 asph cron F2, 35 asph cron, 50 asph lux 1.4, 75 lux, 90 asph cron, 90 macro , 135 3.4 apo and than I kept my Oly 24mm shift. Nocti on it's way

if i did not have the WATE and 28mm than i would either have the 21 or 24mm which the 24mm is extremely nice on the M8 but if you wear glasses than the

framelines maybe tough to see

Now for the forum. Son is one of the orginal folks with Zeiss glass to adapt to the Canon bodies, he is one of the grandfathers of this and all the folks that are adpting Zeiss and Leica lense's to Canon can thank him. He put in a lot of time and effort in that

Guy, I appreciate the kind introduction but much of my past works have been attributed to the stimulations of high quality images from you and many other folks.

Yes, I agree with your analysis and the Leica M lenses are hard to beat in the wide angle side and I am excited like all of you when the M8 first came out and everyone was getting their lens and later on scrambling for the IR cut filters.

Since the WATE (thanks for the acronyms) is a difficult lens to acquire and the 28 mm F2.0 has always fascinated me I may consider the 28 mm to start out with. However, there are alot of folks like the 35 mm Lux alot and I can see their points here as well. If the budget is to get one lens perhaps I will get the 35 mm Lux but if I can get two lens I may consider the 28 mm cron and the 75 cron.

Your bag of gears has always been impressive but more importantly I love how you use these tools to create images from them when the time call on them. If you were a scientist I can see you would be great for translational science which is extremely difficult to bring theory to applications.

Best Regards,

-Son

There are so many excellent lenses available for the M cameras that it boggles the mind. There are good options from Leica, Zeiss and CV. Take your time to see what's what.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean, your great efforts and hard works is much appreciated by so many folks. I am sure I will drop by your sofas sometimes soon.

For a single lens to start with, I would go with the 28mm Summicron.

My heart tells me this is the lens for me but I need to chase out the other information first. I hope to end up with this lens and the 75 cron and get the 50 mm 1.4 later on.

I'll throw my two cents in for a nice and somewhat less expensive alternative to the Leica 28-- the Zeiss 28/2.8 is consistently one of my favorite do-it-all lenses.

The Zeiss lens has always been my favorite lens and I have to take into consideration as well.

thanks,

-Son

35 summilux 1.4 asph for a first choice lens.

Plain and simple

I hear you and from other folks if I get one lens this would be the one to get. The only thing that may prevent me going this direction; I am well covered in this focal length in the SLR systems.

Guest Olof
Not used the Visolflex much but i don't think there is any color shift. Really just a mirror setup. i think maybe what you may have heard is obviously the Viso lenses tend to be old and that maybe the warmth you here about them. Obviously don't have the modern day coatings and such. But i do love your idea of getting some Hassy glass to adapt to the Viso. i think Victor was trying some of that with his hassy glass. The one thing about the M is the ability to use some very old lenses for some very creative looks and charactor in your images. i have gone for the juggler with sharp lenses but there is a 75 or 90 out there that maybe old and have a special look for portraits and such that i want to explore. Imagine sticking a 50 year old lens on one of these bodies, not many systems can do that

Wasnt all the Hassi lenses build by Zeiss ?

Son,

I knew I would bump into you on this forum

. Like Guy, I love the 28mm Cron ASPH. That and the 50mm Lux ASPH are my most used lenses. Enjoy your M system.

Joshua

Joshua, it took much longer for me to make the transition to the M8 system but I finally arrived both in gears and in Los Angeles. I am sure we will bump into each other again even outside the forum. Your two lens are 2 of the most facinated lens in the Leica M system for me.

Best Regards,

-Son

Son, you had a question about the pre-aspheric and the current 50mm Summiluxes, respectively. I have owned the first, and own the second.

First,as regards the pre-asph. lens, we should discuss the second version only (from 1962, # from 1,844,001). This is definitely a good lens. I quote E. Puts, Leica Taschenbuch, 7th ed.:

"Barely visible barrel distortion, vignetting of 2.2 f-stops. Generally medium to high contrast, becoming progressively softer towards the outer zones and corners. Wide open you see clean edges and good reproduction of fine detail. Very little astigmatism and coma. Stopping down delivers high contrast in the middle of the image field. The optimal f-stop is 8."

I would only add that the lens is more resistant to flare and stray light than the Summicron.

The current aspherical 50mm Summilux is quite simply a super lens. MTF values at 1.4 are as good as those of the Summicron at f:2. It has also inherited the good immunity to stray light and reflexes, a weak point with the Summicron. I have sold my Summicron. The new 'lux focuses down to .7m as against 1.0m for the oldtimer, and performs well at close range.

The 50mm focal length (actually closer to 52mm) makes for a near 70mm lens on the M8, a good 'people lens' and a valid complement to a 28mm lens in street photography. I top up the kit with a light 90mm.

The old man from the Age of the Box Camera

In order, I would say: 35 Summilux ASPH, 75 Summicron ASPH, 28 Summicron ASPH. Swap the 75 Summicron for the 75 Summilux if you prefer portraits. Swap the order of 35 and 28 if you prefer a slight wide angle view to a normal view. The 50 Summilux ASPH is fantastic in every way, except one: the focal length is a little awkward. It might be nice for portraits in crowds, such as at parties or weddings, but other than that, I just rarely put it on. Once the FF M9 comes out, it will live on my camera.

The Voigtlaender 15mm f/4.5 is also a great deal and on the M8, probably the match for almost every great 21mm SLR lens ever made, except the Contax 21 possibly. A really sweet little lens, and a showcase for how rangefinder technology and compromises can yield cheap and small, yet excellent lenses.

We NEED a damn spell checker in the reply box:D

Guy,

The latest version of Safari (Windoze and Mac) 3.0.2 does just that - it's great.

Wilson